Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Smile

Originally Posted by MQS007
I did read that which has lead in part to my confusion:

I have double checked the itinerary and it shows, in fact a 21:15 departure. Prior to the time change I believe the flight departed at 22:15. In fact when I originally booked the flight my itinerary said 22:15 but then I received a change notice from AC changing the departure time by an hour , so I wonder if the service reverts to the full service with the time change does anyone know?

If it does not, and we have the Express Dinner, what I understand this to mean is it is similar to NA / Caribbean J where once does get a choice of entrees, but it is served all at once on a single tray. Is this correct?

Thank you.
So....
The time change will bode well in your favour. Both YYZ>DEL & YYZ>BOM offer the full meal deal (dinner) as departure is prior to 21:30 . Both return flights offer the Express dinner as they depart around the midnight hour.

A word about the Express Dinner...

It is not similar to the NA/Carib tray. There is cheese and crackers on the tray, and the entrees (4) are the same standard as the International galley plated meal - simply served in oval casserole dishes (no galley assembly required). The dinner is followed by an enhanced cake & fruit, coffee/tea, liqueur trolley. Mid-flight snacks & Pre-landing light hot meal.

The complete list of Express Dinner flights as of Nov 1st:
033 YVR-SYD/035 YVR-BNE/037 YVR-MEL/043 DEL-YYZ/047 BOM-YYZ/057 DXB-YYZ/090 YYZ-GRU/092 YYZ-SCL-EZE/858 YYZ-LHR/876 YYZ-FRA/888 YOW-LHR

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Nov 11, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
Thank you so much for the clarification, I had obviously misunderstood and interpreted the Express Service as being of a different standard but see that it is simply a mechanism for allowing the same meal to be served more quickly.

I know cut off times are strict on AC as there was a time when YYZ UVF left too late for breakfast in the summer and I was looking forward to my omelette.

I will be able to give a full review of contrasting and comparing Full Service on AC 42 and the Express Service on AC 43 the next week.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
So....
The time change will bode well in your favour. Both YYZ>DEL & YYZ>BOM offer the full meal deal (dinner) as departure is prior to 21:30 . Both return flights offer the Express dinner as they depart around the midnight hour.

A word about the Express Dinner...

It is not similar to the NA/Carib tray. There is cheese and crackers on the tray, and the entrees (4) are the same standard as the International galley plated meal - simply served in oval casserole dishes (no galley assembly required). The dinner is followed by an enhanced cake & fruit, coffee/tea, liqueur trolley. Mid-flight snacks & Pre-landing light hot meal.

The complete list of Express Dinner flights as of Nov 1st:
033 YVR-SYD/035 YVR-BNE/037 YVR-MEL/043 DEL-YYZ/047 BOM-YYZ/057 DXB-YYZ/090 YYZ-GRU/092 YYZ-SCL-EZE/858 YYZ-LHR/876 YYZ-FRA/888 YOW-LHR
Curious if FA start heating the food on the ground, if so that means the pax can start eating as soon as the plane levels off, making it essentially express
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Curious if FA start heating the food on the ground, if so that means the pax can start eating as soon as the plane levels off, making it essentially express
Ovens are only turned on at pushback in the interest of food safety & quality (in the event there is a mechanical or extended gate delay). An exception is made for Rapidair/Short Haul Breakfast flights due to time considerations.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:44 pm

Thank you so much for the clarification, I had obviously misunderstood and interpreted the Express Service as being of a different standard but see that it is simply a mechanism for allowing the same meal to be served more quickly.

I know cut off times are strict on AC as there was a time when YYZ UVF left too late for breakfast in the summer and I was looking forward to my omelette.

I will be able to give a full review of contrasting and comparing Full Service on AC 42 and the Express Service on AC 43 the next week.
Generally, there is a high rate of outright refusals on AC043, which actually further accelerates the service. The pre-meal bar service is eliminated, while you are still offered the beverage of your choice. Essentially the Express Dinner reduces the service time by approximately 1 hour, maximizing rest at a very late hour.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:49 pm

More confusion because AC 42 on November 1 was scheduled for a 9:25 departure according to Flightaware which would be before the 9:30 cut off.

I can't imagine that this would change between the 9:25 departure time this week and the 9:15 departure time next week but I will see and report back.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:54 pm

More confusion because AC 42 on November 1 was scheduled for a 9:25 departure according to Flightaware which would be before the 9:30 cut off.

I can't imagine that this would change between the 9:25 departure time this week and the 9:15 departure time next week but I will see and report back.
This flight is slated for the full dinner service.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:03 pm

Thank you again for all of your assistance with my questions. I misread 42 for 43 on your earlier post providing the November 1 list, which simply had me unnecessarily confused. Sorry.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Generally, there is a high rate of outright refusals on AC043, which actually further accelerates the service. The pre-meal bar service is eliminated, while you are still offered the beverage of your choice. Essentially the Express Dinner reduces the service time by approximately 1 hour, maximizing rest at a very late hour.
I'm wondering if AC crews then are trained to figure out what the service standard is depending on route and time of day.

Is that a safe assumption? Reading this thread gives me a deep appreciation of the nuances of service delivery standards depending on route/time.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I'm wondering if AC crews then are trained to figure out what the service standard is depending on route and time of day.

Is that a safe assumption? Reading this thread gives me a deep appreciation of the nuances of service delivery standards depending on route/time.
There are briefing packages which outline service delivery for every flight, as well as bi-monthly communique/updates outlining changes, as well as our own internal very detailed portal which provides reference for vitally each and every topic.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I will post the menus from the trip, but I just want to say that this could have been a really good hot meal item, but someone killed it.

First, the bright green sauce scared me. I have tennis balls that color.
But I am brave, so I thought let's try it. I had originally enjoyed the first sablefish incarnation of late 2015, so.....

Well, this was a giant bowl of sodium. I could feel it after just 2 bites. While there were nice flavours, the salt was just overkill. I had a bit of the rice and veg and 2 bites of fish and pushed it away. Crew asked why. I explained.

I understand very well the changes that altitude has on taste buds. But I also know when something is just overkill. It could have been a really nice dish.

Last edited by 24left; Nov 23, 2017 at 6:07 am
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
Well, this was a giant bowl of sodium. I could feel it after just 2 bites. While there were nice flavours, the salt was just overkill. I had a bit of the rice and veg and 2 bites of fish and pushed it away. Crew asked why. I explained.

I understand very well the changes that altitude has on taste buds. But I also know when something is just overkill. It could have been a really nice dish.

I think we had the same Sable fish dish, but the botched the production of yours. This is what I got, which was tasty:

Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: TK *G
First, the bright green sauce scared me. I have tennis balls that color.
Well, this was a giant bowl of sodium..
So, let me guess, this dish is called salted tennis ball?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I think we had the same Sable fish dish, but the botched the production of yours. This is what I got, which was tasty:

I also tried the non radioactive version of this two weeks ago. Flavours were quite good.
songsc and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:42 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

I'm sorry, but that just looks like barf.

There, I said it.
longtimeflyin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.