Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 9:43 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
@ Canadiancow regarding noise cancelling headphones...What about the noise cancelling ear buds, wouldn't they have the same effect? How do the attendants know if you are plugged into the IFE or an iPod/phone/tablet?
They read your facial expression. If you don't look annoyed that the content you are listening to has been interrupted, you are not plugged into the proper port.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
LOL Well that will be great on the rouge flights then because you get that 'annoyed' look as soon as you try to sit down...
Old May 27, 2014, 1:38 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tireman77
They read your facial expression. If you don't look annoyed that the content you are listening to has been interrupted, you are not plugged into the proper port.
Or, if you don't cringe and rip out your headphones when an announcement comes on, blaring in your ears at twice the volume of your movie.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:29 am

Finally!
Old May 28, 2014, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
@ Canadiancow regarding noise cancelling headphones...What about the noise cancelling ear buds, wouldn't they have the same effect? How do the attendants know if you are plugged into the IFE or an iPod/phone/tablet?
1. As for what you're plugged into, that's a matter of what the rule is. If people disobey the rule and end up getting hurt, that's their own fault.
2. I'm not sure the difference between headphones and earbuds. I'm sure someone had a good reason at some point, but I don't know what it is I have Bose earbuds for IFE during take-off/landing, and Sennheiser headphones for in-flight.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
This is a long overdue change... Nice to see it finally happen!

And I can't think of any reasonable explanation for in-ears being ok while headphones are not. It does nothing other than force people to bring 2 sets of 'phones, as demonstrated by canadiancow.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:05 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by ffsim
This is a long overdue change... Nice to see it finally happen!

And I can't think of any reasonable explanation for in-ears being ok while headphones are not. It does nothing other than force people to bring 2 sets of 'phones, as demonstrated by canadiancow.
I believe the the issue predates new generation of in-ear noise cancelling headphones. Since over the ear can block out sound, almost completely, in the case of a FA giving special instructions in the case of an emergency (emergencies happening most often at or near take off and landing) it is possible the over the ear block out instructions being spoken by FAs. Commands like 'assume brace positions' or 'pull out your life jackets' would be important, and it is believed would no be drowned out by earbuds.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I believe the the issue predates new generation of in-ear noise cancelling headphones. Since over the ear can block out sound, almost completely, in the case of a FA giving special instructions in the case of an emergency (emergencies happening most often at or near take off and landing) it is possible the over the ear block out instructions being spoken by FAs. Commands like 'assume brace positions' or 'pull out your life jackets' would be important, and it is believed would no be drowned out by earbuds.
I totally agree with that. But many earphones today are of the isolating type, so they're essentially earplugs and you can't hear flight crew instructions anyway.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Why during takeoff and landing? They are the two most dangerous phases of the flight (not counting meal orders in J if you are SE).

Why only plugged into the entertainment system? So that an announcement will be heard.

Why only earbud types? Because in the case of an evacuation earbuds will simply drop out of your ears and they are unlikely to cause any obstruction to that passenger or to anyone else nearby.

Source: I am smart.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by zorn
Source: I am smart.
And apparently modest as well
Old May 28, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Can't speak about AC, but as of today Jazz procedures have been updated to allow for electronics to be used. Anything that can be hand held can be used at all times. Laptops can only be used once seatbelt signs are off. Similarly headphones can't be worn until seatbelt signs are off.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Bingo!

Welcome to world of aviation safety rule making - which in most cases moves more slowly than molasses in winter - which actually is a good thing.

This is why flying is so safe - albeit inconvenient at times.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by ffsim
I totally agree with that. But many earphones today are of the isolating type, so they're essentially earplugs and you can't hear flight crew instructions anyway.
See my wintertime molasses comment above.
Old May 28, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Bingo!

Welcome to world of aviation safety rule making - which in most cases moves more slowly than molasses in winter - which actually is a good thing.

This is why flying is so safe - albeit inconvenient at times.
Very valid observation,

Originally Posted by jaysona
See my wintertime molasses comment above.
Lol
Old May 28, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I have to because that is the only phone my company give me.
I think you missed the joke.

Go back and read my post, in its entirety.

Or for that matter, carefully re-read your response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.