Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
I'd just like to clarify what our policy is regarding this.
We are working on a new safety video
^^
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!

A good rule of thumb for acceptable devices are small PEDs that can be held or used with one hand, like most mobile phones, tablets or eBook readers; the iPad would fall into this category and CAN be used during taxi, take-off and landing, as long as receiving and transmitting functions are OFF. We are working on a new safety video, and this will clearly be outlined in that.

This policy was communicated to our cabin crews, but sometimes it takes a while for the message to dissipate to our 10,000+ staff. If you have issues, please let me know and I will follow up.
Does the Microsoft Surface (similar dimensions to the iPad) also fall into this category?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:13 pm
Flying Blue Director

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SM-G900W8 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.141 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by GJS - yow

A good rule of thumb for acceptable devices are small PEDs that can be held or used with one hand, like most mobile phones, tablets or eBook readers; the iPad would fall into this category and CAN be used during taxi, take-off and landing, as long as receiving and transmitting functions are OFF. We are working on a new safety video, and this will clearly be outlined in that.

This policy was communicated to our cabin crews, but sometimes it takes a while for the message to dissipate to our 10,000+ staff. If you have issues, please let me know and I will follow up.
Does the Microsoft Surface (similar dimensions to the iPad) also fall into this category?
Yes, most tablets with similar dimensions do (Galaxy, Surface, etc) - just picked iPad due to the ubiquity.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've not had any issues since the policy took effect. I've used my full size ipad during takeoff/ landing on AC Mainline, Jazz, AC Express and Rouge. What was amusing though is that on my rouge flight all the inboard iPads were collected before landing as "rules prohibit their use on t/o landing" (yes, I know its likely because they have to turn off the wifi but still amusing)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So my current issue with this rule is that they won't let me wear headphones/earbuds if they're connected to the tablet.

So I can watch my movie, but I can't listen to it.

One FA recently said it was okay if I had one earbud in, since I'd still be able to hear any announcements. But I think that was not entirely inline with the rules.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So my current issue with this rule is that they won't let me wear headphones/earbuds if they're connected to the tablet.

One FA recently said it was okay if I had one earbud in, since I'd still be able to hear any announcements. But I think that was not entirely inline with the rules.
Unfortunately it is a TC rule.

The AC streaming app actually pauses during announcements.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Subtitles.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:57 am
Formerly known as tireman77

I think the single earbud was a nice compromise.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77
I think the single earbud was a nice compromise.
I agree. It worked well for me, but I think the FA was breaking their own rules by allowing it.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
We are working on a new safety video, and this will clearly be outlined in that.
Perhaps it would have been better to wait until the new safety video has been updated before implementing the rule.

This would probably avoid a lot of the confusion and frustration experienced by both cabin crew and passengers.

I have seen many cases where the ipad is singled out during the safety announcement that its use is not permitted and has to be stowed until the seat belt sign is off.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
I agree. It worked well for me, but I think the FA was breaking their own rules by allowing it.
Yup. I'd keep these sorts of things off the board as well, no point in getting anyone unnecessarily in trouble.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Yup. I'd keep these sorts of things off the board as well, no point in getting anyone unnecessarily in trouble.
There's a reason I waited between 1-12 weeks before posting it
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:12 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

There's a reason I waited between 1-12 weeks before posting it
Judging by many of your posts, Mr. Cow, you seem to often get special treatment....
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77
Judging by many of your posts, Mr. Cow, you seem to often get special treatment....
I didn't ask for it. FA just came up to me and said (s)he needed me to take out one of the earbuds.

I can't help it if my devilish good lucks attract the attention of the crew
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Hi Ben,

I was told, rather rudely, by SD Geoff on a recent LGA-YYZ flight that my ipad had to be put away since it is a regular iPad Air and bigger than a "iPad mini"

When I told him this was the first time I have ever been asked to put my ipad away he advised this was the official regulation from AC (anything bigger than iPad mini) and he would be happy to get the regulation for me. I didn't take him up on his offer since I was thoroughly embarrassed after he had made this announcement loud enough that everyone in exec could hear him.

Can you please clarify exactly what a personal electronic device is SPECIFICALLY (is there a size or weight limit?) and perhaps pass that message along to your SDs if it is I'm fact supposed to be inclusive of regular iPads and not just the minis.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 24, 2014 at 10:36 am Reason: remove surname

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.