Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; AS MVP Gold75K; Fairmont Platinum; SPG/Marriott Platinum
I use a Lenovo Helix.

Whenever I leave the keyboard connected, I get asked to put it away. As soon as I pop the tablet, all is good.

Now admittedly, the Helix keyboard is sturdier than the usual tablet keyboard, so it's easy to mistake it for a laptop.
Old May 2, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Further to the reason why TC needs to step in is because the manufacturer of said device markets it as "The tablet that can replace your laptop". While I agree with you that the manufacturer shouldn't be the one classifying the device, it is technically a tablet first. But this is precisely the reason that further clarification by TC is needed.
also use a Surface but no issues onboard or security in 40 segments so far this year, hope it continues
Old May 2, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
LOL
AC needs to figure out how to manage change control better. It appears to me they are often shooting from the hip, and its employees "fake it till they make it". It's like a few years back when I was working with an IBM IT support technician in the field. I asked him a basic technical question, he admitted he had no idea. I asked him if he had any training, he said "just some remote stuff". I asked him what happens if he doesn't know an answer to a question, he said his manager told him to just remind the person he works for IBM and that he'll figure it out and know what's best. Remind you of any other organization who perhaps uses IBM to manage their IT infrastructure?
That guy sounds like a knob, not all IBM technicians are like that. In fact most of them are really smart and work on large complex technical problems every day. IBM does a lot of the IT for United and Lufthansa, and I'd say their systems work pretty well.

IMO I'd say the AC's IT issues are more related to AC than they are to IBM.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by philelite
That guy sounds like a knob, not all IBM technicians are like that. In fact most of them are really smart and work on large complex technical problems every day. IBM does a lot of the IT for United and Lufthansa, and I'd say their systems work pretty well.

IMO I'd say the AC's IT issues are more related to AC than they are to IBM.
Agreed. I've met some really smart people who work at IBM, and a lot who make my desk chair look smart. Every organization will have their gems and their duds.

However, in any problem, it takes two to tango. AC and IBM are both to blame here. From my limited understanding of AC (and more so with IBM GS as I work with them a lot), it's the horse/carriage analogy.

AC's infrastructure is old, and refuses to spend more to upgrade. IBM says, "fine, but every change you make will be super expensive". Then AC goes, well it's less than if we invest $xxx million to fix it, so we'll live with it. IBM is in bed with AC, like many major corporations are in bed with other companies (i'm not saying that it's wrong, just saying it is what it is)

Then we as passengers directly blame IBM. AC is also to blame here. I guess I'm jaded with IBM GS. I'm biased too, so take everything I post here with a huge grain of salt. I guess i'm tired of cleaning up the IBM implementations of my technology that I support in the government and large enterprise environments.

But hey, every company has its good and its bad. So yes, I agree with you that AC is also at fault here. It takes two to tango!

Last edited by superangrypenguin; May 2, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Old May 2, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Thumbs up

Agreed. I've met some really smart people who work at IBM, and a lot who make my desk chair look smart. Every organization will have their gems and their duds.

However, in any problem, it takes two to tango. AC and IBM are both to blame here. From my limited understanding of AC (and more so with IBM GS as I work with them a lot), it's the horse/carriage analogy.

AC's infrastructure is old, and refuses to spend more to upgrade. IBM says, "fine, but every change you make will be super expensive". Then AC goes, well it's less than if we invest $xxx million to fix it, so we'll live with it. IBM is in bed with AC, like many major corporations are in bed with other companies (i'm not saying that it's wrong, just saying it is what it is)

Then we as passengers directly blame IBM. AC is also to blame here. I guess I'm jaded with IBM GS. I'm biased too, so take everything I post here with a huge grain of salt. I guess i'm tired of cleaning up the IBM implementations of my technology that I support in the government and large enterprise environments.

But hey, every company has its good and its bad. So yes, I agree with you that AC is also at fault here. It takes two to tango!

I work in this area too and I've seen some very cool things from IBM GBS and some major cluster-f**ks, so I'd say it's a fair statement
Old May 2, 2015, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Oh ok. So FAs are now technology experts. Right.
Old May 2, 2015, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Oh ok. So FAs are now technology experts. Right.
FA's are to technology experts as the Flintstones are to visionary experts into the future of mankind
Old May 3, 2015, 12:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
FA's are to technology experts as the Flintstones are to visionary experts into the future of mankind
Not sure what you were talking about, I think they did a great job. My day-to-day life is chock-full of Flintstones innovations.

This message dictated to and transcribed by Dictabird

Old May 26, 2015, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Prohibited Electronic Items

Further to the 2015 discussion that started with post # 112

From
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...n.html#faq:3-*

Electronic devices that can interfere with navigational and/or communication equipment

The use of the following electronic devices is prohibited at all times onboard our aircraft:

Wireless mouse
Bluetooth headsets
Radio transmitters
Radio controlled equipment or toys
Printers and computer peripheral devices
Laser pointers

These items must be properly and adequately packed in your checked baggage. Please refer to the Accepted Items section below for a list of electronic devices that can be carried onboard.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
Just updating this, has anyone had any more clarification that Surface Pro (no keyboard) is okay? I'm operating on the assumption that it's good, but just wondered if weight and dimensions have been clarified at all?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tlvancouver
Just updating this, has anyone had any more clarification that Surface Pro (no keyboard) is okay? I'm operating on the assumption that it's good, but just wondered if weight and dimensions have been clarified at all?
Which Surface Pro? the 3 is bigger than the 2 and 1. I've had hit and miss success with the 3.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Surface Pro 3 is weird. Security usually seems to think it's a laptop and wants it out, so I've quit arguing with them.

On AC, as long as I've detached the keyboard, they've seemed to view it as a tablet and left me alone to use it.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
Which Surface Pro? the 3 is bigger than the 2 and 1. I've had hit and miss success with the 3.
Sorry, it's the 3.

I've heard different things - including if it's under 2 lbs its okay (the Surface Pro 3 is 1.76 lb). I've used it on about 20 flights (no problem) but I had a Rouge flight attendant tell me (in no uncertain terms) that there was "no way it was allowed"...

Again, this was without keyboard and while being as unobtrusive as possible.

It's frustrating to be at the mercy of random FA opinions (especially on short flights because they want you to shut things down well before the doors are shut and being a last minute person I'm often working to get things finished
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tlvancouver
I have an antique Pro 1 and had no problems using it sans keyboard during takeoffs and landings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.