Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by yvr76
Return transborder flight on May 30 I was using cell phone and seat mate a tablet. No problems. SD even mentioned that (small) portable electronic devices could be used.

Netbooks are tricky, they might be the same size as a laptop, but aren't really as stable since you'd have to put them on your lap or tray table.
What I don't understand is why my Macbook air is not allowed on my lap but Mr. Pre-Med can have a anatomy and physiology text book out that weights more than my two year old.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by danapop
Was just told by the SD on AC125 that iPads need to be put away. When I said we can use them now she said an iPad is not a personal electronic device lol
This is an ongoing issue in the industry, the term PED is not very well defined. For some people an iPad is a PED, others consider it to be bigger than a PED. Regulatory authorities and operators need to formally define what a PED is and is not. Until then, arguments and confusion will reign.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
The SD on AC 208 announced the new rule a few times that only tablets and computers are allowed, no cell phones until after take off and cell phones must be completely off until then.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I had no problems on 879 ZRH-YYZ today. Even in Zurich, we were allowed to use PEDs.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Does AC actually inform their crews of new rules at all? Or do FAs just choose to read what they want to read?

May 28, 2014 AC001 New rule on the first day was recognized by crew.
June 4, 2014 AC856 New rule was not recognized - SD made standard old announcement that all phones and electronic devices were to be switched off for taking, landing, and taxiing. All FAs enforced what the SD said.

Is this discretionary? Did the FAs just crawl out from a rock and went to work?
Why is it so difficult for a new rule to be immediately communicated, understood, and then applied in a uniform fashion?
Do FAs get to make up their own rules?

So typical of AC. So typical.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by danapop
What I don't understand is why my Macbook air is not allowed on my lap but Mr. Pre-Med can have a anatomy and physiology text book out that weights more than my two year old.
Standard a$$enine discretionary rules that come from nowhere - pulled out of butt0cks. That's all.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tomorrow I am on 869. Let's see how the crew applies the new rule (or rather, not at all).
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite

On AC1177 on Friday, heard the SD mention the new arrangement via an announcement, so had my iPad out and was lectured by a FA when I had it out after the safety video. Whoops.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prewrappedbacon
On AC1177 on Friday, heard the SD mention the new arrangement via an announcement, so had my iPad out and was lectured by a FA when I had it out after the safety video. Whoops.
Did you not point out the SD's announcement that the lecture contradicted? What kind of lecture was this? Or was it a reminder to keep it on airplane mode?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Quote:

Did you not point out the SD's announcement that the lecture contradicted? What kind of lecture was this? Or was it a reminder to keep it on airplane mode?
FA said "Sir, you'll have to put your iPad away."

Me: "Oh really?"

FA: "Yes, all electronic devices have to be put away for take off"

Me: "Oh yeah? I had no idea"

FA: "Yes, it's been like this for years"

Me: "Okay"

Afterwards, I cornered the SD and asked him if I was losing my mind or had he announced that devices just needed to be on airplane mode. He then said he'd ensure the FA's on board were updated
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FA said "Sir, you'll have to put your iPad away."

Me: "Oh really?"

FA: "Yes, all electronic devices have to be put away for take off"

Me: "Oh yeah? I had no idea"

FA: "Yes, it's been like this for years"

Me: "Okay"

Afterwards, I cornered the SD and asked him if I was losing my mind or had he announced that devices just needed to be on airplane mode. He then said he'd ensure the FA's on board were updated
Thanks for the play by play.

Maybe the SD could tell the FAs to listen to their own announcements for once. Just because of that, I would've taken my computer/ipad out for landing just to see what the same FA would say back to you. I would also preempt this by telling the SD that I would be doing so in advance
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC.SE
AC 845 this past Sunday. Since the new rules came into effect, I've used my iPad during all phases of flight, on all sorts of aircraft, domestic and international, but on Sunday an FA told me to stow my iPad for landing because "iPads are the same as laptops".

I didn't get a chance to ask the SD because we were on final approach.

I sent a note specifically requesting clarification on AC's policy through the AC website. Someone from customer relations sent me several paragraphs outlining what airlines might do at their discretion and why electronic device policies are in place, but didn't tell me what AC's policy is.

I hate this airline.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by ylwae
AC 845 this past Sunday. Since the new rules came into effect, I've used my iPad during all phases of flight, on all sorts of aircraft, domestic and international, but on Sunday an FA told me to stow my iPad for landing because "iPads are the same as laptops".

I didn't get a chance to ask the SD because we were on final approach.

I sent a note specifically requesting clarification on AC's policy through the AC website. Someone from customer relations sent me several paragraphs outlining what airlines might do at their discretion and why electronic device policies are in place, but didn't tell me what AC's policy is.

I hate this airline.
Why don't you ask "the Bens?"
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Irrelevant
This is the perfect example of what the issue is. The new announcement says that "large format" or "grande format" electronic devices need to be stowed. There is no printed definition (that I can find anywhere) of what constitutes a large format device. I have heard some announcements where the terms "such as laptop computer & ipad" have been added after the words "large format" but this - like everything else AC does - has been applied inconsistently.

I don't use any of those devices on my flights, so this is no skin off my nose, but I really dislike the vague rules implement by AC and the inconsistent application of those vague rules.

It almost seems like someone behind a desk decided to spend a few minutes over their lunch hour to come up with the new rules and announcements based on a checklist they received from TCCA. It appears as though very little thought was given to the implementation, application and impact of the application of the new rules.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:32 pm
Flying Blue Director

I'd just like to clarify what our policy is regarding this.

A good rule of thumb for acceptable devices are small PEDs that can be held or used with one hand, like most mobile phones, tablets or eBook readers; the iPad would fall into this category and CAN be used during taxi, take-off and landing, as long as receiving and transmitting functions are OFF. We are working on a new safety video, and this will clearly be outlined in that.

This policy was communicated to our cabin crews, but sometimes it takes a while for the message to dissipate to our 10,000+ staff. If you have issues, please let me know and I will follow up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.