Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by antirealist
Are AC OPS using snail mail to communicate policy with their staff? Or carrier pigeon, perhaps? This is 2014. It's possible to update all staff on policy changes at the press of a button. That's the way it works in my organization.
Yes. These types of documents are highly controlled - as they are safety related. As I have stated before, the aviation safety world moves very slowly and cautiously. There are thousands of cabin crews that need to have updates, these are given to them on a regular basis upon which point they update the book they carry with them. You may have noticed some readin from the book when they make their announcements.

If a procedural/operations update is implemented while the crew is part way through their trip the crew will not know until they are back at their home base.

This is normal - and how just about all of the airlines operate today. There are changes under way to deploy tablets, etc to crew, but it does take years to roll-out, it is not an overnight switch - because of the safety and regulatory work required.

Like I said in a previous post - what's another few weeks of waiting?
Old May 30, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Irrelevant
It's a significant change to the operating procedures, and AC has taken the time to communicate it directly to the public and the media. So, yes - AC has made it important, and so I would expect them to brief their cabin crew about it.
As is the case with many large organizations, fingers on the same hand probably aren't aware of what the other fingers are doing.

Marketing public communications comes up with one statement, in-flight services was probably told last minute and didn't have the required time to send the message out to all the crew members.

The last time I flew BA, the SD said that PEDs could be used in all phases of the journey, and to ignore the safety video, which hadn't been updated to reflect the change in policy. So an airline can handle this perfectly well if they can be bothered to do so.
In the BA case, it sounds like the SD had received the company issued documentation that indicated the video was no longer in accordance with current company policy and they could state as much to the passengers.

Keep in mind that a crew member can only do/say what is in their safety manual, doing anything contrary to what is their manual can (and usually does) result in their being terminated.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by jaysona
Yes. These types of documents are highly controlled - as they are safety related...

Like I said in a previous post - what's another few weeks of waiting?
One would think that safety-related information would be communicated immediately.

I'm really not buying in to your story here, but AC's public announcement said
As of this morning, you can use personal electronic devices at all times during flights.
That's not very smart if it's predictably going to take "another few weeks" to implement it.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:06 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
That's not very smart if it's predictably going to take "another few weeks" to implement it.
Agreed - they could have done the announcement in a much softer way i.e. as you said, that it would be rolled out transitionally.

In any event AC will get there eventually.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
From Monday's National Post:

Canadian airlines welcomed the announcement, with spokesmen for both WestJet and Porter Airlines saying they estimated being able to implement the new policy by July.

This would allow time for the airlines to apply to Transport Canada for the exemption, receive an approval, then update their manuals and re-train their staff.

Air Canada said it expects to implement this policy “in the coming days.”
See the difference?

This may also be relevant:

The National Airlines Council of Canada lauded the move, while CUPE, which represents 10,000 flight attendants, had no comment Monday as the union was still reviewing the decision.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by jaysona
In the BA case, it sounds like the SD had received the company issued documentation that indicated the video was no longer in accordance with current company policy and they could state as much to the passengers.
BA has also equipped their CSD's with iPads, so the changes can be rolled out much quicker.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE
From: http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/140530.html

New Personal Electronic Device Policy

We're happy to announce that as of Wednesday May 28, all customers travelling on Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge can use their personal electronic devices at all times during flight, including taxi, take-off and landing, as long as they're not transmitting or receiving data.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Was just told by the SD on AC125 that iPads need to be put away. When I said we can use them now she said an iPad is not a personal electronic device lol
Old May 31, 2014, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

It's going to take a bit to get everyone on the same page, had a passenger get upset with me because I wouldn't let him use netbook, but let the person next to him use an iPad. Guidance from Jazz cabin safety was tablets ok, laptops bad
Old May 31, 2014, 2:46 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Yesterday:

YYC-YEG: All devices had to be put away (i.e. new policy not being applied)
YEG-YYZ: New policy in effect, no probs using my tablet gate to gate.

Hopefully the inconsistency will be gone soon...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:47 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Can anyone say 'transition period'? People, please chill.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by tireman77
If the airline releases a statement saying one thing, we should be able to reasonably expect that. If there is going to be a transition period, then say that in the release.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by tireman77
I don't think anyone is unchilled here. No one said they were made or upset. Just posting their experience this far.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite

3 flights since the change ... And no one asked me to put it away. Was amusing that other passengers on the plane even told me to put it away... "Actually...."
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Return transborder flight on May 30 I was using cell phone and seat mate a tablet. No problems. SD even mentioned that (small) portable electronic devices could be used.

Netbooks are tricky, they might be the same size as a laptop, but aren't really as stable since you'd have to put them on your lap or tray table.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.