Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 3:35 pm

As zorn suggests, there are two advisory circulars that, when taken together, would likely result in an air carrier establishing policies to limit the type of headset used during critical phases of flight to only ear bud type:

Advisory Circular 0124R - Passenger Use of Personal Headsets and Protective Hearing Devices
Advisory Circular 0252 - Safety Considerations of Corded Electrical Devices in the Passenger Cabin

I recall a lot of discussion about over-the-head type and ear bud type headsets when air carriers first began offering gate-to-gate IFE.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
AC's announcement on their Facebook page:

We’re happy to announce that as of this morning, all customers travelling on Air Canada, Air Canada Express and rouge can use their personal electronic devices at all times during flight, including taxi, take-off and landing, as long as they’re not transmitting or receiving data.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by tinchote
AC's announcement on their Facebook page:
Interesting to see all the comments on Facebook asking how the FA will know if they are transmitting and receiving and whether airplanes are going to start crashing because people will not put it in flight mode!
Old May 29, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Interesting to see all the comments on Facebook asking how the FA will know if they are transmitting and receiving and whether airplanes are going to start crashing because people will not put it in flight mode!
Free entertainment !
Old May 29, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Yup, no problem with playing 2048 on my iPhone during takeoff today YYZ-YYC. They haven't updated the safety video yet though.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Yup, no problem with playing 2048 on my iPhone during takeoff today YYZ-YYC. They haven't updated the safety video yet though.
This has not been officially implemented as part of the operating procedure yet. On 423 today the SD was quite clear during the initial cabin briefing that electronic devices could not be used until the seat belt was was turned off & quite insistent that PEDs be stowed for landing.

We've waiting this long - what's a few more weeks?
Old May 29, 2014, 9:07 pm

Yesterday already they announced that PEDs could be used at any time during the flight.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by okazon69
Yesterday already they announced that PEDs could be used at any time during the flight.
Same thing on this mornings flight, asked for PEDs to be turned off & stowed until the seat belt sign is turned off. We'll see how it goes on 425 tonight & 402 tomorrow.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Did nobody challenge this? Was the SD just ignorant of the new policy, or did AC's communications team just jump the gun with their announcement?
Old May 30, 2014, 6:48 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by antirealist
Did nobody challenge this? Was the SD just ignorant of the new policy, or did AC's communications team just jump the gun with their announcement?
200-ish planes, 20,000-ish employees. Not all people working at AC all AVGeeks like the people in this forum. It will probably take a while for the information to percolate through.

Even if you bring the press release or the rule, I wouldn't want a SD changing an official procedure without getting the information through official channels.

The appropriate answer should be: 'Wow, that's great news! I'll check with OPS as soon as I can to confirm that, but in the meantime, I'm going to have to ask you turn off the device...'
Old May 30, 2014, 6:51 am

Took a flight this morning. Given usual PA announcement about when to use devices. I continued to use my device while landing. FA saw me but did not say anything. I would have turned it off had the FA told me.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by tireman77
200-ish planes, 20,000-ish employees. Not all people working at AC all AVGeeks like the people in this forum. It will probably take a while for the information to percolate through.
Are AC OPS using snail mail to communicate policy with their staff? Or carrier pigeon, perhaps? This is 2014. It's possible to update all staff on policy changes at the press of a button. That's the way it works in my organization.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:57 am

Are AC OPS using snail mail to communicate policy with their staff? Or carrier pigeon, perhaps? This is 2014. It's possible to update all staff on policy changes at the press of a button. That's the way it works in my organization.
You would think it would be covered in the FA briefing before the flight.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:08 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by splicer100
You would think it would be covered in the FA briefing before the flight.
Yes, this is 2014. And yes, there are probably ways to communicate this more quickly. I would assume its in a memo, and these memos are probably sent out at set times, maybe weekly for this type of issue.

But is this really an important issue? Does this merit a call to arms across the board? UGRENT: People can now keep using electronic devices from gate to gate!!! Don't think so... AC is going to have to change the safety video, so until that video is modified and loaded into the entire fleet, it might be hit and miss.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by tireman77
But is this really an important issue? Does this merit a call to arms across the board? ... AC is going to have to change the safety video, so until that video is modified and loaded into the entire fleet, it might be hit and miss.
It's a significant change to the operating procedures, and AC has taken the time to communicate it directly to the public and the media. So, yes - AC has made it important, and so I would expect them to brief their cabin crew about it.

It is typical of AC that they would make a public fanfare about this, raising expectations, only to have their FAs deny knowing anything about it. Another PR black eye for AC.

The last time I flew BA, the SD said that PEDs could be used in all phases of the journey, and to ignore the safety video, which hadn't been updated to reflect the change in policy. So an airline can handle this perfectly well if they can be bothered to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.