Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:21 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It launched with two planes having it, with more rolling out in 2015.

Check out:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-wifi-not.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...oard-wifi.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...h-america.html
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Go figure that FAs continue to inspect my mouse to see if it is a wireless mouse.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Was on A320 C-GJVT/Fin 235 and it had Wi-Fi, so wider roll-out is happening.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Go figure that FAs continue to inspect my mouse to see if it is a wireless mouse.
That is funny!

................Mind you transmitting and receiving devices are still not allowed but on Rouge you can?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC SE
Any update on how many aircraft have Wifi now? The earlier article references the plan for 29 aircraft to have Wifi by the end of 2014.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by gcashin
Any update on how many aircraft have Wifi now? The earlier article references the plan for 29 aircraft to have Wifi by the end of 2014.
Would be nice is widebodies could have this as well for use within North America. You could be on a transcon booked on an A321 planning on doing some work and if it gets upgauged you're out of luck.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Would be nice is widebodies could have this as well for use within North America. You could be on a transcon booked on an A321 planning on doing some work and if it gets upgauged you're out of luck.
The system is 220+lbs plus parasite drag so AC won't be installing it on aircraft which primarily would be unable to use it.

But AC did say they are examining satellite options for the widebody fleet, that should work over the continent too so an option for internet will eventually exist.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
That is funny!

................Mind you transmitting and receiving devices are still not allowed but on Rouge you can?
Yeah, the rules defy all common sense. Really, it is ridiculous.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any Wifi experiences with doucheb@gs talking out loud on Skype or any other similar high d0uche-factor behaviour?

If not yet, it is absolutely bound to happen.

Naturally, someone here will advise me that it is my responsibility to tell said d0uchebag to keep it down, rather than the d0uchebag's responsibility and common courtesy to keep it down.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Yeah, the rules defy all common sense. Really, it is ridiculous.
I just get a good chuckle out of the rules being different from country to country - because you know, the planes act differently in different countries, .

Ie: In Canada / USA, transmitting and receiving functions have to be turned off. In the EU, they may be left on gate to gate.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Any Wifi experiences with doucheb@gs talking out loud on Skype or any other similar high d0uche-factor behaviour?

Naturally, someone here will advise me that it is my responsibility to tell said d0uchebag to keep it down, rather than the d0uchebag's responsibility and common courtesy to keep it down.
Granted I have no had this on AC, but on other airlines with pod's the same as AC's J I have seen people attempt to use skype, etc.

First off, it doesn't work too well (usually).

But, what I will say is that when it's in the J pod I don't find it bothers me or distracts me even if it's right next to me. There is enough separation that I just don't care.

In Y however I will agree that it would probably annoy me.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:49 pm

VoIP not permitted. I'd just flag down an FA and tattle.

http://gofar.aircanada.com/up-in-the...board-flights/
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
GOD, can you imagine sitting next to someone in Y and they are yelling into the mike on Skype on the many chat programs out there.

What if the person you are talking too decides to do a show knowing full well that many others are watching?

I have to say when I flew on US and LH the live net was fun!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by tyberius
Gogo turns itself on and at 10,000 feet.

Below this you are supposed to have your laptop stowed.

So when the plane starts descending they are indeed supposed to tell you to put your junk away, and cutting of your internet connection is encouragement to put that junk away if you missed the announcement.
You probably shouldn't have your junk out when surfing the internet on a plane.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by j_the_p
You probably shouldn't have your junk out when surfing the internet on a plane.
It's frowned upon, but perhaps not illegal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.