Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:18 am
No longer with Air Canada
Original Poster

Hi everyone

A few years ago, Air Canada was the first Canadian carrier to offer its customers the option to purchase in-flight Wi-Fi. High in the sky today from AC107, we're excited to take things further, and announce our plans to begin rolling out in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity across our North American fleet beginning in May 2014, under an agreement with Gogo.

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights

As many of you are already aware, we presently have two Airbus A319 aircraft equipped for Wi-Fi service, currently operating within Canada and the United States. Subject to a final agreement with Gogo, next month we expect to begin outfitting the following aircraft types with Air-To-Ground Wi-Fi connectivity:
  • Air Canada Airbus A319, A320, A321 and Embraer 190 aircraft
  • Air Canada Express Bombardier CRJ-705 and Embraer 175 aircraft
We expect installation to be complete by the end of 2015.

For the moment, this service will not be available on flights operated by Air Canada rouge. Additionally, while we will not be installing the necessary equipment on our international widebody aircraft at this time, we can confirm that our agreement with Gogo will also provide for future type-testing of Gogo satellite solutions for Wi-Fi on international longhaul flights.

Connectivity Details

By partnering with Gogo, our connectivity solution will offer peak connection speeds comparable to mobile broadband services available on the ground. What's more, based on Gogo's current network coverage, we expect that well over 90% of all flight minutes for travel within North America should offer connectivity without service restrictions.

As you may be aware from using Gogo services on previous Air Canada flights, or with other airlines, there are some restrictions & regulations which prohibit the use of cellular network services (voice or data) during the flight, including Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) applications. Naturally, this service will only be available when your aircraft is flying above 10,000 feet.

Access & Pricing Details

While we have not yet firmed up our prices just yet, you can expect that our pricing will be competitive with other in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity offerings. Additionally, we're pleased to confirm that for flights through June 30, 2014, customers flying on aircraft already equipped with in-flight Wi-Fi will be able to access the service for free, courtesy of American Express.

We'll keep you posted here with more developments about this significant product investment. In the meantime, you can find more details and the latest news about Air Canada Wi-Fi at aircanada.com/wi-fi.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: AC SE
Especially the news that it is free through to June is exciting! Unfortunately only to LAX for now..

Is anybody aware of an easy way to check which flights are equipped?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Finally some good news from Altitude! +1^
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by Air Canada Altitude
Access & Pricing Details

While we have not yet firmed up our prices just yet, you can expect that our pricing will be competitive with other in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity offerings.

....The latest news about Air Canada Wi-Fi at aircanada.com/wi-fi.
The website linked says

For only $9.95 US payable by all major credit cards, you’ll enjoy connectivity on your laptop for the duration of your flight. Handheld devices connect for only $7.95 US.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
Especially the news that it is free through to June is exciting! Unfortunately only to LAX for now..

It's on AC107 today so not just LAX.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Excellent news! I had noticed something was in the works a couple months ago, good to see this more forward. ^

AFAIK, there is currently no way of easily knowing in advance which aircraft is equipped with Wi-Fi, unless you know the fin numbers (I don't) and can track them online.

I hope somewhere along the implementation they plan to add a feature to the res website so you can know which flight is eligible.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer

I tweeted and facebooked AC to get a fin number list.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by gabdusch
Excellent news! I had noticed something was in the works a couple months ago, good to see this more forward. ^

AFAIK, there is currently no way of easily knowing in advance which aircraft is equipped with Wi-Fi, unless you know the fin numbers (I don't) and can track them online.

I hope somewhere along the implementation they plan to add a feature to the res website so you can know which flight is eligible.
I doubt they will add to the website. Imagine the outrage if you book a segment based on WIFI availability and the aircraft gets swapped?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by danapop
I tweeted and facebooked AC to get a fin number list.
^^ Looking forward to hear back!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Great news! Glad it is contacted to Gogo. Have had good experiences with data speeds down south.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:05 am
Suspended

Press Release from Aircanada.com

Air Canada is the First Canadian Airline to Offer Customers Wi-Fi Connectivity on board Aircraft across North America

Service offers email, internet and access to mobile device apps

TORONTO, April 9, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - AC 107 (35,000 FEET, EN ROUTE TO CALGARY) - Air Canada, the first Canadian carrier to offer customers in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity, plans to begin rolling out connectivity across its North American fleet in May under an agreement with Gogo®, the airline announced in a release issued today from one of its Wi-Fi-equipped aircraft. The agreement will also provide for future type-testing of Gogo satellite solutions for Wi-Fi on international flights.

"Air Canada continually seeks to enhance the travel experience and that is why we are pleased to be the first airline in Canada to offer in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity to customers flying over continental North America. In today's connected world, our customers want to access email, mobile device applications and the internet wherever they are, both to increase their work productivity and expand their leisure options. The introduction of Wi-Fi across our narrow-body North American fleet will be another welcome amenity for customers, who already enjoy the award-winning service of North America's Best Airline," said Benjamin Smith, Executive Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer.

Air Canada presently has two Wi-Fi-equipped Airbus 319 aircraft operating in Canada and the U.S. and, subject to a final agreement with Gogo, plans to begin outfitting its remaining Airbus A319, A320 and A321 and Embraer 190 fleet types, as well as its Air Canada Express CRJ-705 and Embraer 175 aircraft, with Air-To-Ground Wi-Fi connectivity. The installations are to begin in May with the goal of equipping 29 aircraft in 2014 and a targeted completion date of December 2015 for the designated 130 narrow-body aircraft. The system offers peak connection speeds comparable to mobile broadband services available on the ground. Current regulations prohibit the use of cellular phones for voice communication. Pricing will be competitive with other in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity offerings.

Gogo has also provided Air Canada the opportunity to type-trial two satellite-based systems, using Gogo 2KU and Inmarsat GlobalXpress KA-band solutions. These tests are expected to be conducted in 2015. The results will help determine future connectivity options that can be considered as the technology continues to evolve.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:23 am

I doubt they will add to the website.
AA does it very effectively and have for a couple years

Imagine the outrage if you book a segment based on WIFI availability and the aircraft gets swapped?
Outrage!? LOL. "Outrage" over no wifi?? Seriously?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
AA does it very effectively and have for a couple years

Outrage!? LOL. "Outrage" over no wifi?? Seriously?
I could care less either way, but I read the forums here and I know there would be a thread:

"Booked ACXXX because of WIFI and BOOM! equipment change! What can i get for free for this travesty?"
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Awesome! Great news, it's nice to have this true enhancement coming to the fleet ^
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:52 am
Suspended

I could care less either way, but I read the forums here and I know there would be a thread:

"Booked ACXXX because of WIFI and BOOM! equipment change! What can i get for free for this travesty?"
LOL! so true!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.