Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Air Canada Altitude
Hi everyone

For the moment, this service will not be available on flights operated by Air Canada rouge.
So, then, that excludes 90% of my business travel because business takes me to destinations AC has decided are primarily leisure.
Like the breathless "more preferred seats", there is an asterisk "but not for you".
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
^^ Looking forward to hear back!
Fins 280 and 282
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
Anyone know if speeds will increase? I used it on one LAX flight this year and for emails/attaching documents etc it was fine. I tried to use netflix/YouTube at end and its not worth it at all (in terms of effort, it was free for my flight)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
Especially the news that it is free through to June is exciting! Unfortunately only to LAX for now..
Not just LAX, I got free Gogo Wi-Fi compliments of Amex on Sunday flying back YUL-SFO

Originally Posted by Globex
The website linked says

For only $9.95 US payable by all major credit cards, you’ll enjoy connectivity on your laptop for the duration of your flight. Handheld devices connect for only $7.95 US.

This is standard for Gogo Wi-Fi (e.g. try it out if you ever find yourself flying USAir A321 CLT-SFO). The $$ amounts are lower if you're on a tablet or smaller device -- this is detected by your browser's user agent string soooooo if you're on a desktop, modify the user agent string before connecting to Wi-Fi for cheaper price
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I thought all 319's are going to Rouge - but it says Rouge is not offering the service???
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Swarez
Anyone know if speeds will increase? I used it on one LAX flight this year and for emails/attaching documents etc it was fine. I tried to use netflix/YouTube at end and its not worth it at all (in terms of effort, it was free for my flight)
IME you'll be hard-pressed to find any inflight WiFi service with enough bandwidth for video streaming. Imagine the bandwidth needed on the ground link if all pax on a fully loaded A321 were streaming Netflix!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:52 am

This isn't worth a separate thread, but it's another piece of the IFE puzzle, this time for the 787s.

http://www.satnews.com/story.php?num...2568935&menu=1

Under terms of the agreement, Panasonic will linefit install eX3 on Air Canada’s 37 Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft. Deliveries commence with the airline’s first 787 aircraft in Spring 2014. Air Canada currently has five Boeing 777-300 aircraft equipped with Panasonic’s eX2 system. With eX3, Air Canada’s passengers will be able to watch more than 600 hours of entertainment on larger, higher definition screens that are up to 18-inches in business class and enjoy higher definition touch screens at every seat featuring an advanced intuitive interface that will be easy and pleasant to navigate.
Also, here's some technical details of the GoGo 2KU system AC will begin testing next year for international Wi-Fi

Like its new Ground to Orbit (GTO) technology, Gogo's (GOGO +3.3%) 2Ku platform will deliver 70Mbps+ peak speeds to aircraft. But unlike GTO, it will do so while solely relying on satellites, thereby allowing it to cover oceans and international flight paths.Gogo asserts 2ku's antenna is roughly 2x as spectrally efficient as other commercial aviation solutions, and that its low profile reduces aircraft drag. The solution is expected to be commercially available in mid-2015.Gogo's original in-flight Internet system (launched 5 years ago) only provided peaks speeds of 3.1Mbps. Its ATG-4 system, which began to be deployed last year, offers 9.8Mbps.Separately, Gogo has announced Air Canada will offer Gogo-powered Wi-Fi services on its entire North American fleet starting in May. 130 aircraft will be supported by Dec. 2015. In addition, Gogo and Air Canada will launch international trials next year.

Last edited by Sebring; Apr 9, 2014 at 10:29 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by danapop
Fins 280 and 282
That was fast!

^^

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
As sad as it sounds, although this is a good thing, this news is not good for my situation. The flights was the only downtime I got every week. Now I will be accessible even while I am in the air!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by YOWzer
As sad as it sounds, although this is a good thing, this news is not good for my situation. The flights was the only downtime I got every week. Now I will be accessible even while I am in the air!
Just don't pay for the service. Problem solved.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Sebring
This isn't worth a separate thread, but it's another piece of the IFE puzzle, this time for the 787s.

http://www.satnews.com/story.php?num...2568935&menu=1

Under terms of the agreement, Panasonic will linefit install eX3 on Air Canada’s 37 Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft. Deliveries commence with the airline’s first 787 aircraft in Spring 2014. Air Canada currently has five Boeing 777-300 aircraft equipped with Panasonic’s eX2 system. With eX3, Air Canada’s passengers will be able to watch more than 600 hours of entertainment on larger, higher definition screens that are up to 18-inches in business class and enjoy higher definition touch screens at every seat featuring an advanced intuitive interface that will be easy and pleasant to navigate.
Hopefully the boxes for them are under the floor and not taking up legroom below certain seats.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Hopefully the boxes for them are under the floor and not taking up legroom below certain seats.
Oh man, I still remember the first time I sat at a seat with one of those boxes taking up all the legroom.

Thank goodness for seatguru.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I thought all 319's are going to Rouge - but it says Rouge is not offering the service???
rouge is taking most, but not all A319s.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Any chance there can be a discount for Altitude members or J pax?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Just don't pay for the service. Problem solved.
I wish it was as simple as that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.