Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:14 pm

http://atwonline.com/ife/air-canada-...-equipped-gogo

Air Canada has reached an agreement with aircraft communications service provider Gogo to equip all of its North American fleet with inflight Wi-Fi connectivity.

Air Canada currently has two Wi-Fi-equipped Airbus A319s operating in Canada and the US. Under the agreement, financial terms of which were not disclosed, Gogo in May will begin outfitting the rest of Air Canada’s A319s as well as the carrier’s A320s, A321s, Embraer E-190s, E-175s and Bombardier CRJ700s with its air-to-ground Wi-Fi connectivity.

Air Canada said the plan is to equip 29 aircraft in 2014 and have all 130 of its narrowbody/regional aircraft equipped by the end of 2015. “The system offers peak connection speeds comparable to mobile broadband services available on the ground,” the airline said in a statement. “Pricing will be competitive with other inflight Wi-Fi connectivity offerings.”

Air Canada EVP and CCO Benjamin Smith said, “In today’s connected world, our customers want to access to email, mobile device applications and the internet wherever they are, both to increase their work productivity and expand their leisure options.”

Additionally, Gogo said the agreement “also provides for future type-testing of Gogo satellite solutions for Wi-Fi on [Air Canada] international flights. The international trials will take place in 2015.”
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by maradori
Hope not, or else this time I will be the one starting an outrage thread similar to the preferred seats issue

I spent over 10K etc etc Super Elite etc etc we should all join together and flood AC with complaint letters etc etc

Unless you mean make it complimentary to the FT member "SEMM" and anyone who has higher post count than him/her
I'll take free wifi! thanks^
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:03 pm

Yay!!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC E35, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by D582
No its more like why should AC install hardware on its fleet for Wi-Fi when there is no guarantee of when or if the supporting network will be available for flights within Canada. I've used it a few times in the past on the 2 AC 319s that have it. Although they did a lot of YYZ/YUL to California flights, they showed up on other routes as well.
Not all the earth stations are complete, but they have equipment on site and are in the finishing stages.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyer
I believe this was the aircraft used for the YYZ-YEG flight I just took (AC 157 on April 9).

Wi-fi was available but a bit unreliable. (Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that it's available. Not complaining, just describing.) It was fine for occasional emails/surfing, but there's no way it could be used for streaming video. I didn't try it for a skype voice call (and sincerely hope no one ever uses skype on an airplane!), but I suspect it wouldn't work well for that purpose.
When I started out in university CS we had all of the province connected to the internet over what was effectively 9600 baud. I still think it's funny when people say things like this (well my airplane's internet connection won't sustain a 1mbps video connection).

The signal began after we hit cruising altitude, and it suddenly ended when we were descending. I thought it would be nice if they gave folks a few minutes' warning before shutting wifi off. One could wrap up their work and perhaps warn loved ones that the upcoming communication breakdown wasn't due to an emergency on the plane!
Gogo turns itself on and at 10,000 feet.

Below this you are supposed to have your laptop stowed.

So when the plane starts descending they are indeed supposed to tell you to put your junk away, and cutting of your internet connection is encouragement to put that junk away if you missed the announcement.

Overall I'm glad there is wi-fi available, I'm glad it's free for the time being thanks to Amex, and I'm glad that it looks like the signal won't support annoying voice calls. (Though once people have to pay for the connection, the load will surely be lower, which will improve the bandwidth for the remaining users.)
It is amazing what $10 user fees can accomplish vs. the tragedy of the commons.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cana2013
It should be free for business class.
How is it supposed to know you are in business class?

Input your PNR or FF# and name, and have it look you up in the AC reservations system. Downside: 90% of the people won't have their PNR and will start complaining and the F/A has to do technical support. And what if you have no Aeroplan FF#? What if the connection to the reservation system is down? No internet? That will make people happy.

Or, are they going to have to start printing login vouchers for everyone in business class? All the nonsense that entails will add to the cost of your ticket. Then of course people will be sharing it, and they need to have tech support rotate passwords.

So say they somehow come up with a magical way to simply and efficiently weed out the business class people from the econs, then they still have to pay Gogo for the internet.

And that just means they will add $10 to your plane ticket anyway.

Nothing's free.

Like "free health care" and "toll free roads", it is paid for either explicitly or implicitly. At least when it is explicit, if you do not want the service you are not subsidizing the leech next to you.

Gogo with Delta, you can set up an account, bill it through Amazon if you want or your CC, you can buy a day pass or a month pass if you are a very frequent user.

It is a good system.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:43 pm

Just make a good friend who buys an all-airline gogo pass. Problem solved!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
I am onboard with WIFI right now. Looks like netflix streaming is blocked Internet is surpisringly fast.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Anyone know the status of this? Every flight, I ask the SD.

From least informed to most informed, the responses have been:
1. AC doesn't have wifi (fairly common answer)
2. Only two aircraft have wifi (most common answer)
3. You're cute, and only two aircraft have wifi, but I know they're outfitting the whole narrow-body fleet

And no, I'm not kidding about #3
Old May 26, 2014, 10:25 am

Here's something related to expanding on-board connectivity. Not quite permission to make cell calls, but we'll get there step by step, I suppose.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1361...ases-of-flight

Last edited by Sebring; May 26, 2014 at 10:27 am Reason: uui
Old May 26, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anyone know the status of this? Every flight, I ask the SD.

From least informed to most informed, the responses have been:
1. AC doesn't have wifi (fairly common answer)
2. Only two aircraft have wifi (most common answer)
3. You're cute, and only two aircraft have wifi, but I know they're outfitting the whole narrow-body fleet

"Cute" as in sneaky for asking, or as a flirty remark? Maybe you're on the way to having that heir to your 2MM lifetime E50K.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sebring
Here's something related to expanding on-board connectivity. Not quite permission to make cell calls, but we'll get there step by step, I suppose.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1361...ases-of-flight
I have my doubts about phone calls. Too many people try to sleep, and you'd have to really shout to overcome engine noise.

Originally Posted by flyquiet
"Cute" as in sneaky for asking, or as a flirty remark? Maybe you're on the way to having that heir to your 2MM lifetime E50K.
It wasn't obvious

And I don't want to hit 2MM
Old May 26, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Sebring
Given how polite I've seen pax be both at airports and on aircraft, I'd be firmly opposed to allowing any kind of calls on flights (either VoIP or cell).
Old May 26, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Too bad TedGrrrr isn't around anymore, this would definitely be in his domain.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Are there free wifi on AC flights?

I saw this on twitter. Not sure if it's a limited promo or if it's even real.
pic.twitter.com/BZqETQx75S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.