Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I think part of the problem is the salesmen and marketers that make up the executive in Boeing's HQ, far removed from Engineering in Seattle, still believe their own hype and BS that it's just a software tweak and everything will be great again. Unfortunately, they seem to A) know nothing about engineering, and B) seemed to count on being able to push anything past the FAA, which isn't the case anymore.
Perhaps worse than that. First, the folks at the HQ are probably more of the kind focused upon stock and finances, and while they may see salesmen as important, they may well even despise the engineers, see them as a nuisance, who make themselves more important than they are and only create problems instead of just taking orders... :-) (And yes, I am an engineer.)
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27
So that annoying Joint Authorities Technical Review (JATR) report: https://www.faa.gov/news/media/attac...A_Oct_2019.pdf

Which includes the suggestion that the original 737 MAX certification be re-reviewed .... we can just ignore all of that?
I guess this is because of incidents relating to deficiencies in the original certification? If so, do elaborate on them.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
You beat me to it. Indeed if Boeing thought the "bare airframe" were stable, as the JATR report asks for, surely by now they would have agreed and shown that it is the case. Then there would be no need for the MCAS. But no the issue of the lift due to the flow over the engines and associated pitch up torque won't go away that easy. BTW I continue claiming that a redesign of the engine cover shape might fix the issue; but even that seems to be more than Boeing is willing to deal with... Anyway I suspect all this recent noise is actually reverse PR in answer to the Boeing BS whereby the Max would be cleared before the end of the year. All dancing around that very issue it appears.
You've made the gratuitous claim that redesigning the nacelles would alleviate the problem multiple times before, but you've never once substantiated this claim. Also, I have yet to hear of anyone with actual aeronautical engineering credentials claiming this is possible or that it is even a valid approach. However, since you continue to make the claim, present it to Boeing and if they don't acknowledge and either accept or refute it, escalate it to the media. I have a pretty good idea that you will do neither...
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
You've made the gratuitous claim that redesigning the nacelles would alleviate the problem multiple times before, but you've never once substantiated this claim. Also, I have yet to hear of anyone with actual aeronautical engineering credentials claiming this is possible or that it is even a valid approach. However, since you continue to make the claim, present it to Boeing and if they don't acknowledge and either accept or refute it, escalate it to the media. I have a pretty good idea that you will do neither...
Indeed I will not; anyway, I don't believe Boeing is interested (yet) in anything that's not software. and no, I don' t care enough to approach media, and neither will I advertise my credentials. This sort of forum is not the sort of place where claims need to be supported by credentials. Not about authority, but tabout tlking to the issue proper, which should suffice. And no, for those unwilling to believe that it might be a possiblity, OK with me if they indeed do not want to follow me. However anyone who understands the basics of how airfoils work, should not be that hard to follow me, since in a way the issue stems for the engine shape results in an airfoil-like effect. With flow velocities on the upper and lower surfaces differing, hence different pressure fields, and when integrating the vertical component of the force due to pressure, a net vertical force (i.e. lift) results in certain situations. Changing the shapes will change velocities hence ultimately the lift. (BTW, pretty basic fluid mechanics, roughly at the level that a 2d year mechanical/aerospace engineering student should be able to follow with no difficulty.)
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I guess this is because of incidents relating to deficiencies in the original certification? If so, do elaborate on them.
Well, it wasn't my report, but here are some of the key recommendations:

Recommendation R3.4: The FAA should review the natural (bare airframe) stalling characteristics of the B737 MAX to determine if unsafe characteristics exist. If unsafe characteristics exist, the design of the speed trim system (STS)/MCAS/elevator feel shift (EFS) should be reviewed for acceptability.

Recommendation R3.5: The FAA should review 14 CFR 25.201 (Stall Demonstration)compliance for the B737 MAX and determine if the flight control augmentation functions provided by STS/MCAS/EFS constitute a stall identification system.

Recommendation R3.6: The FAA should review the use of non-standard flight test techniques, such as freezing column position at EFS actuation, when showing compliance with 14 CFR 25.201 (Stall Demonstration). The use of non-standard flight test techniques may not meet the associated regulatory requirements.

Recommendation R3.7: The FAA should review how compliance was shown for the stall identification system on the B737 MAX with respect to inadvertent operation due to single failures.
The full report is here: https://www.faa.gov/news/media/attac...A_Oct_2019.pdf
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
November 26 2019

Article: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/26/faa-...ification.html

Article: FAA says it will be the sole issuer of new 737 MAX ...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:48 pm

FAA released the release 2 draft Master Minimum Equipment List (MMEL) for the MAX. Several revised sections are noted, Autoflight, Flight Controls and Oxygen.

Here is a link: Master Minimum Equipment List (MMEL)

Here are the definitions of the Repair Category used in the document:

24. Repair Category . All users of an MEL approved under parts 91K, 121, 125, 129, 135 and 142 must effect repairs of inoperative instrument and equipment items, deferred in accordance with the MEL, at or prior to the repair times established by the following letter designators. Part 91 MEL users (D095/D195 LOAs) are not required to comply with the repair categories, but will comply with any provisos defining a repair interval (flights, flight legs, cycles, hours, etc):

A. Repair Category A. This category item must be repaired within the time interval specified in the “Remarks or Exceptions” column of the aircraft operator’s approved MEL. For time intervals specified in “calendar days” or “flight days”, the day the malfunction was recorded in the aircraft maintenance record/logbook is excluded. For all other time intervals (i.e., flights, flight legs, cycles, hors, etc.), repair tracking begins at the point when the malfunction is deferred in accordance with the operator’s approved MEL.

B. Repair Category B. This category item must be repaired within 3 consecutive calendar-days (72 hours) excluding the day the malfunction was recorded in the aircraft maintenance record/logbook. For example, if it were recorded at 10 a.m. on January 26th, the 3-day interval would begin at midnight the 26th and end at midnight the 29th.

C. Repair Category C. This category item must be repaired within 10 consecutive calendar-days (240 hours) excluding the day the malfunction was recorded in the aircraft maintenance record/logbook. For example, if it were recorded at 10 a.m. on January 26th, the 10-day interval would begin at midnight the 26th and end at midnight February 5th.

D. Repair Category D. This category item must be repaired within 120 consecutive calendar-days (2880 hours) excluding the day the malfunction was recorded in the aircraft maintenance record/logbook.
These definitions are from MMEL Policy Letter (PL) 25, Revision 18 GC

The only item that is not repair category B, C or D is the Altitude Alerting System:

(O) May be inoperative provided:
a) Autopilot with altitude hold and altitude capture operates normally,
b) Enroute operations (i.e., RVSM) do not require its use,
c) Airplane does not depart from a designated airport (as listed in the operator’s MEL) where repair or replacement can be made, and
d) Repairs are made within 3 flight-days.

Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:56 pm

Does anyone know if flight attendants will fly on them, even if pilots might? What then?? Why couldn't boeing start over ? I read 2 airlines wanted airbus an re-design (expensive), so that's what they (eventually) got.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by skyfly58
Does anyone know if flight attendants will fly on them, even if pilots might? What then?? Why couldn't boeing start over ? I read 2 airlines wanted airbus an re-design (expensive), so that's what they (eventually) got.
A) Moving down the list, eventually there will be people not in an economic position to refuse work. A US union has made noise about refusing work for all of them (I guess implicitly threatening a strike regardless of aircraft type) but not, afaik, anyone else. Senior crew did not want to fly them anyway, their urine showers pretending to be lavs, closets pretending to be galleys, and a aisle suitable for nothing larger than a housecat, even before they started killing people.

B) the crux of the problem. Boeing was lazy, allowed (if not demanded) by airlines wanting to be lazy. Engineering professionals should have stepped up and said no, but bean counters won.

Last edited by RangerNS; Dec 6, 2019 at 9:10 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Engineering professionals should have stepped up and said no, but bean counters won.
If only people knew how common this is in the engineering world, and not just the aviation engineering world.

Boeing was lazy, allowed (if not demanded) by airlines wanting to be lazy.
I would substitute the word “cheap” for “lazy”. That’s almost always the dominant factor.
KenHamer and bimmerdriver like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by skyfly58
It's a pretty safe bet that when (not if) MAXes are certified to fly, there will be pilots and flight attendants on board.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meanwhile, Boeing continues looking like they are not trustworthy...

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...at-tra-462746/
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:29 am

flight

It's a pretty safe bet that when (not if) MAXes are certified to fly, there will be pilots and flight attendants on board.
we'll see about that
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:37 pm

I'm pushing out my estimate to next July at the earliest (if at all, and I still believe that is a real possibility)

https://davidlearmount.com/2019/12/0...onal-decision/

Muilenberg: Returning Max to service ‘will be an international decision’

Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...M0Dm2k98EOQouY

Former Boeing manager says he warned company of problems prior to 737 crashes; "For the first time in my life, I’m sorry to say that I’m hesitant about putting my family on a Boeing airplane," Ed Pierson wrote to a company executive before the first tragedy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.