Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Agreed, they could have made much more significant incremental changes over the last 50 years. That fact is they have been far too conservative.
Probably not under the same type certificate. Which was an important issue both costwise and timewise for them. And worked OK, until they did it perhaps one time too many. In too much of a rush and with little margin technically. They were just too happy to milk the cow and let it go until too late.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
The fact they have been selling called a 737 for 50 years does not imply that a 737-100 and a 737 MAX have all that much in common with each other.

These should be designs that have incremental improvements over time. Could this have been a complete fly by wire cockpit even if the rest of the aircraft design remained unchanged? Yes.

The reality is they wanted to minimize the training cost so they kept the user interface as close to the NGs as possible.

The also did not want to change the landing gear high so they had to something odd when installing a bigger engine.

Both of those two constrains are pointless for AC since they don't have an existing 737 fleet. They are major requirements for the SouthWests of the world.
The ship containing the longer 737 landing gear had sailed in the mid nineties when the 737NG design was frozen. They were designing an entirely new wing for the 737, so they could have done a new landing gear as well. But they didn't. Why? Most people say "Because of WN", but it is not entirely correct. While WN's needs undoubtedly had an impact on the 737 NG's design, the goal was to beat the A320 on CASM and range. The longer landing gear would go against both goals. It would be heavier, it would take up more space in the wing and would trigger the need for wing evacuation slides (you do realize that if you use the over wing exit in case of evacuation with un-collapsed landing gear, you have to jump down from 6' height?). Extra weight and less space in the wing again. The longer landing gear would possibly eat up the precious advantage the 738 has over the A320. OTOH it would likely enable Boeing to use the larger CFM 56-5 which would help with the fuel economy. But then, a larger fan would mean more weight and higher drag. So trade-off's would be at work again and who knows how would the whole thing pan out.
Nonetheless, Boeing went with the short landing gear and the rest is history. Why did AC go with the 737 when they already had a more advanced aircraft on premises still puzzles me. The 787 delay compensation discounts could have been used elsewhere.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Why did AC go with the 737 when they already had a more advanced aircraft on premises still puzzles me. The 787 delay compensation discounts could have been used elsewhere.
An excellent question, and one wonders what the internal conversations may be regarding the mess that's been created within the AC fleet. I suspect the 'in for a penny, in for a pound' adage is the prevailing one amongst the executive ranks.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
An excellent question, and one wonders what the internal conversations may be regarding the mess that's been created within the AC fleet. I suspect the 'in for a penny, in for a pound' adage is the prevailing one amongst the executive ranks.
The comparable options at the time were the MAX or something from the new 320 series.

As AC has baggage gear that already can deal with lifting above shoulder height and pilots trained on the 320, it was a curious decision before it turned out the MAX has fatal design flaws.

How much were these delay credits?
​​​​​​
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I thought the process was something like:

- Step 1 - Wow - What a great deal. Buy the A320 at an Amazing price. (Maybe some money went to a former PM or not, who knows). European design that has few North American customers, so we got a really good deal. Wow, this is actually a good aircraft, we should keep these forever (or until they are end of life).

- Step 2 - Wow - What a great deal. Buy the Embrear jets at an amazing price. Similar new aircraft, great price. Did I say it was a great price.

- Step 3 - Darn those Jungle Jets are a problem. Perhaps you get what you pay for, We are not going to make that mistake again of going for what ever aircraft have a the best deal.

- Step 4 - Wow - What a great deal. Boeing is willing to give us some trade in on the Embrear aircraft. We can finally off load those. Look they are giving us a great deal on these new 737 Max.

- Step 5 - Darn those Max Jets are a problem. Perhaps you get what you pay for. We are not going to make mistake a third time. At least we are finding second hand A320 from airline that are going into receivership.

Last edited by Fiordland; Aug 11, 2019 at 11:28 am
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:31 am

In a very similar yet equally apt adage, the phrase 'penny wise and pound foolish' also springs to mind.
If only AC studied British currency more closely.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:26 pm

I thought the process was something like:

- Step 1 - Wow - What a great deal. Buy the A320 at an Amazing price. (Maybe some money went to a former PM or not, who knows). European design that has few North American customers, so we got a really good deal. Wow, this is actually a good aircraft, we should keep these forever (or until they are end of life).
Well, while the whole thing would be immoral if the bribery allegations are true, AC still purchased the world's most advanced and most capable narrow body aircraft available in 1988. That cannot be said about the 2013 purchase.
I'm afraid this current mess will lead to further bad aircraft acquisitions.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Why did AC go with the 737 when they already had a more advanced aircraft on premises still puzzles me. The 787 delay compensation discounts could have been used elsewhere.
Not sure why this puzzles you. They made a business decision, based on the information that was in front of them. Obviously they had no way to know the MAX would be grounded. Rather, the 737 NG has a very good operational record. Considering that AC has years of operational experience with the A31X / A32X, Boeing must have given them a pretty compelling offer.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
Not sure why this puzzles you. They made a business decision, based on the information that was in front of them. Obviously they had no way to know the MAX would be grounded. Rather, the 737 NG has a very good operational record. Considering that AC has years of operational experience with the A31X / A32X, Boeing must have given them a pretty compelling offer.
Yes, nobody could expect the grounding even in their worst nightmares.
Yes, Boeing had to give them a compelling order. So compelling, that the forgot that only one model of the whole line-up had better fuel economy than the Airbus equivalent. And even that was only a promise in 2013 and the advantage is very likely to disappear. The current snafu just nailed it. What's worse, it may lead to another bad decision some 10 years down the road when they will have to select a large widebody replacement. For the same reason they selected the 737 over the 32X.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Yes, nobody could expect the grounding even in their worst nightmares.
Yes, Boeing had to give them a compelling order. So compelling, that the forgot that only one model of the whole line-up had better fuel economy than the Airbus equivalent. And even that was only a promise in 2013 and the advantage is very likely to disappear. The current snafu just nailed it. What's worse, it may lead to another bad decision some 10 years down the road when they will have to select a large widebody replacement. For the same reason they selected the 737 over the 32X.
There is more to a business decision than fuel economy. Purchase price, customization, delivery options, and many other factors also contributed. Again, it's not like AC has no experience with Airbus. As the incumbent, the business should have been a slam-dunk for Airbus. Instead, they lost to Boeing. That says as much about Airbus as it does about Boeing. Also, please explain how the 737 MAX situation will lead to "another bad decision some 10 years down the road".
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:46 pm

As the incumbent, the business should have been a slam-dunk for Airbus. Instead, they lost to Boeing. That says as much about Airbus as it does about Boeing.
All it says about Airbus is that Airbus didn't suffer widebody entry-into-service delays (787s) that provided Air Canada with a powerful Ace card that they could use to negotiate substantial discounts - beyond what Airbus or any non-indebted manufacturer could offer. If the 787 development program were smooth and free of snafus, AC's narrowbody competition may have ended differently.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Also, please explain how the 737 MAX situation will lead to "another bad decision some 10 years down the road".
Humans and corporations tend to remember the last entity that hurt them with ongoing anger. The second last entity that hurt them is history and in the running.

See also: duopoly.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would take the position at this point that the MAX is dead. With every passing day, the public is losing more confidence, and when the airplane is determined to be "safe", hardly anyone will fly it and the bookings will prove that out. It might fly in other countries where people are more ignorant, or their trust in government is higher than in North America, but I just don't see Southwest, United, Air Canada, or AA bringing back this plane unless they try and force it down everyone's throat by refusing to identify the aircraft version at booking and then refuse waivers when people don't want to fly.

Now the 787 is coming under additional scrutiny, and that is a story in play with broad consequences depending on what is found out - either by government regulators doing their job (unlikely) or by investigative journalists doing theirs.

A few airlines are now pushing Bombardier to stretch the C Series and make it a viable alternative to the MAX, which as a long term play, indicates crashing confidence in Boeing and the MAX models and puts the 797 under threat - and if anything damaging emerges about the 787, we could be looking at crossing the skies in old 747s, DC10s and L1011s dug up out of the desert.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would take the position at this point that the MAX is dead. With every passing day, the public is losing more confidence, and when the airplane is determined to be "safe", hardly anyone will fly it and the bookings will prove that out. It might fly in other countries where people are more ignorant, or their trust in government is higher than in North America, but I just don't see Southwest, United, Air Canada, or AA bringing back this plane unless they try and force it down everyone's throat by refusing to identify the aircraft version at booking and then refuse waivers when people don't want to fly.

Now the 787 is coming under additional scrutiny, and that is a story in play with broad consequences depending on what is found out - either by government regulators doing their job (unlikely) or by investigative journalists doing theirs.

A few airlines are now pushing Bombardier to stretch the C Series and make it a viable alternative to the MAX, which as a long term play, indicates crashing confidence in Boeing and the MAX models and puts the 797 under threat - and if anything damaging emerges about the 787, we could be looking at crossing the skies in old 747s, DC10s and L1011s dug up out of the desert.
I hate to be rude, but this seems like a whole lot of nonsense to me. I believe the vast majority of people will return to flying the Max within a year of return to service. Airlines are not going to hide the plane type. It's extremely unlikely that a 5-abreast C-Series could be extended long enough to compete with the Max. L1011s etc will not be dug out of the desert and returned to service.

I almost wonder if your post was satire and I missed it. Seems ridiculous to me.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I hate to be rude, but this seems like a whole lot of nonsense to me. I believe the vast majority of people will return to flying the Max within a year of return to service. Airlines are not going to hide the plane type. It's extremely unlikely that a 5-abreast C-Series could be extended long enough to compete with the Max. L1011s etc will not be dug out of the desert and returned to service.

I almost wonder if your post was satire and I missed it. Seems ridiculous to me.
Then you underestimate the public. Once significant risk is attached to a product, or to a company for that matter, it's extremely difficult to restore that trust - and the length of time needed to fix the defect just makes it that much harder.

You might think my post is nonsense, but I am pretty confident that if and when the MAX returns to service, the flying public will soundly reject it and the this rejection will be a significant issue in getting these airplanes operating in any significant numbers. Maybe Canadian folks are different, but in the USA this will be an issue.

However, at the rate Boeing is progressing, we're already looking at late 1st, early 2nd quarter 2020 before the plane returns to service, and I have shaky confidence in even those dates holding.
expert7700 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.