Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

\
Originally Posted by tcook052
He said the company has focused on updating software to make the Boeing 737 Max as safe as possible.
My, doesn't that sound scary... "As safe was possible?" Except, even worse, when he says that, what he really plans for is likely "as safe as reasonably possible within costs and a time frame acceptable from the standpoint of Boeing bottom line." When it should be "at least as safe as the competition." Which is surely not achievable within constraints that Boeing and their customers can live with... All of which should be good news for the A220.
AJchang likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:52 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
Boeing is capable of developing a redundant flight control system. The 777 and 787 aircraft have highly redundant flight control systems.

Here is an interesting reference: Triple-Triple Redundant 777 Primary Flight Computer, which is dated 1996.
I don't think the issue is that it's impossible to build robust & redundant flight control computer systems -- as you state, the 777 & 787 do it, as do all of the airbus types.

The problem is that the 737 was never designed to include a robust & redundant flight control computer system. As a result, the underlying infrastructure that is necessary to allow a computer to safely move flight controls, does not exist on the 737 MAX. Even that is not a problem, we don't see 737-800's (and prior) falling out of the sky. You don't need a computer to fly a plane, there's no reason why you can't rely on physical cables to move the control surfaces (like the 737 does, and like Cessna's do).

The problem is that Boeing chose to address the flight characteristic problem that the MAX had, with a computer based solution - on top of a computer system that was never designed to handle it.

This new approach (using multiple redundant computer systems) seems like Boeing are slowly and grudgingly retrofitting the MAX to include a modern flight control system - and my worry is that retrofitting things like that is usually harder than designing them correctly in the first place. I'm reminded of the quote by Brian Kernighan (the 'K' from K&R, for you old programmers): "Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in the first place. So if you're as clever as you can be when you write it, how will you ever debug it?"

None of that gives me confidence that Boeing's computer retrofit plans will solve more problems than they will introduce.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
All of which should be good news for the A220.
?? A220 does not compete with the Max. A320neo perhaps
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/05/boei...ore-trust.html

Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg said Monday that the company has conducted almost 500 test flights with a new software update to its grounded 737 Max planes that he hopes will help win back the confidence of the flying public.

“We know that trust has been damaged over the last few months, and we own that and we are working hard to re-earn that trust going forward,” Muilenburg said in an interview at the Global Business Travel Association conference in Chicago. He said the company has focused on updating software to make the Boeing 737 Max as safe as possible.

The planes have been grounded worldwide since mid-March after two crashes within five months of one another claimed 346 lives.

Muilenburg said that he has personally flown on two of the test flights, and that Boeing employees are “eager to do the same.”
Hmmm. So just because a Boeing test pilot is OK with the design it is OK for all pilots? I would assume that the test pilots are the best of the best (big assumption). Do they consider when doing testing that not everybody is up to their ability? Anyways I would hop in a Valkyrie with Sebastian Vettel driving, I wouldn't hop in the car with the kid from down the block driving.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Sounds great, let's get these birds in the air and life will be great again!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Muilenburg said that he has personally flown on two of the test flights, and that Boeing employees are “eager to do the same.”
That’s nice. When does he figure paying passengers would be “eager to do the same”?
tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ridefar
Hmmm. So just because a Boeing test pilot is OK with the design it is OK for all pilots? I would assume that the test pilots are the best of the best (big assumption).
Yes, and wouldn't you think Boeing listened to its test pilots in developing MCAS? No, as it turns out as was posted a few months ago in this thread here.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Aug. 7, 2019, © Leeham News:

QUOTES:

"It will take Boeing nearly a year to deliver the stored 737 MAXes if the airplane returns to service in November, according to a new analysis by Bernstein Research.

"Bernstein predicts Boeing will be able to deliver 25 stored MAXes a month, resulting in the total Undelivered backlog being cleared by December 2020."

​​​​​​​Plus some other stats

https://leehamnews.com/2019/08/07/su...mber-to-march/
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:10 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
That's an interesting perspective. I guess there could be a scrap over how these things get allocated over time.

First things first though.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That's an interesting perspective. I guess there could be a scrap over how these things get allocated over time.

First things first though.
They're already painted, so allocation is pre-defined. I guess there could be some wiggle room as to the order in which they take off.

Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I assume the default order would be the original delivery order.

Though I could also see airlines like AC actually deferring their delivery a bit if all their resources are being spent on getting the initial 24 back in the air, and getting pilots re-certified or whatever needs to be done.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by kjnangre
They're already painted, so allocation is pre-defined. I guess there could be some wiggle room as to the order in which they take off.

Is that an aircraft in Jet Airways livery that I see on the bottom left corner of the pic (first place facing left on bottom row)? And another one facing the camera on the top right? I thought they went belly up in April?

Looks like at least two airframes are going back to the paint shop!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

Page 21 from the Second Quarter 2019 Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Results of Operations and Financial Condition

5. Fleet

"The tables below provide the number of aircraft in Air Canada’s operating fleet as at June 30, 2019 as well as Air Canada’s planned operating fleet as at December 31, 2019 and December 31, 2020. Given the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, as described below, Air Canada assumes, in the table below, that the remaining 12 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft deliveries scheduled for 2019 will be delivered in 2020."

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...019_MDA_q2.pdf
tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Is that an aircraft in Jet Airways livery that I see on the bottom left corner of the pic (first place facing left on bottom row)? And another one facing the camera on the top right? I thought they went belly up in April?....
Yes, but the assets have to be dealt with in the courts in India and sorting things with the leasing company. Norwegian is also having issues, so unless the engine specs and such are radically different, I wonder if someone at AC is thinking about picking up some cheap orphans, while using whatever compensation AC negotiates from Boeing to go towards new aircraft that AC may want/need in the future.

This flock photo taken from a variety of different angles includes 2 clearly visible AC birds. Does anyone know how many of the 12 that were supposed to be delivered this year, have already been built? Painted?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:01 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I assume the default order would be the original delivery order.

Though I could also see airlines like AC actually deferring their delivery a bit if all their resources are being spent on getting the initial 24 back in the air, and getting pilots re-certified or whatever needs to be done.
Plus the added pressure of the A220's coming on line.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.