Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
AC has some routes that other narrow body planes can’t fly so those would be the biggest challenges I should think. I agree that Boeing needs to provide answers.....
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:56 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by skybluesea
.....yet, public hysteria appears to be emerging......
@skybluesea

Sometimes, experts need to put themselves in the shoes of those who know much less and those who may have fears.

You have knowledge and experience most people don't. Many FFs and FTers do as well. Given your profession and credentials perhaps, you should understand the power of media in either creating hysteria and panic, or just pushing it along a little.

It doesn't matter if many are fearful of this aircraft.

See the 2 comments from UA posters I linked above. One FTer changing his AC flight on the 7M8. The other asking how FTers, of all people, are worried abut this and so on.

There is part of the answer, and that's with audience who knows things. Now imagine how busy CNN and the other guys are, feeding this information to the masses, most of whom may be FOTSGs.

We know fear is not always rational, so why would you expect anything other that some hysteria among the public (and even a knee-jerk but likely political move by China)?
skybluesea and codfather like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:44 pm

and if a third airplane is brought down by terrorists, should fleet still be grounded???
What a weird hypothetical & I think you know the answer to the question you're asking.
yhzflyer and ginmqi like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kthpence
I have an upcoming SFO-YUL flight on AC's 737 MAX in early April ... I'm a bit uneasy about flying on the plane at this point - do you think AC would allow me to change the flight to a new route and or date if I reach out to them?
Call them up, explain your request, and see what they say. It never hurts to ask.

Originally Posted by 24left
The same question was asked on another FT airline forum. The reply was along the lines of... I'm sure the airline would be happy to make the change for the change fee and fare difference if any. Or as some here would say, hope for a weather alert to allow you to change your flight.

Point being: Unless airlines ground these aircraft before knowing what the cause was, airlines won't have to move anyone. Also, there aren't a bunch of other aircraft lying around for them to move all of the pax to.
That's technically true, but I don't think (s)he was asking about anything permitted under the fare rules, or it wouldn't have been worth a post.

Originally Posted by Ubud
I have 2 737MAX flights with the family on Friday and Saturday and they are quite nervous, so I did call as well as tweet (DM). Both responses were negative to waiving the change fee or fare difference. Not surprised, but disappointed.

Can someone answer an SDC question? My flights are connecting, i.e. A-B-C, but A-B on Friday and B-C on Saturday. The phone agent said the SDC could only be done one flight at a time, i.e. I could NOT request A-C on Friday, or could not request A-Z-C on Friday. Is that true? Fare class is P, so the change should be free, but doesn't help as much in this case as B-C is only served by 737MAX. The actual routing is YVR-YYC-CUN.
Reservations phone agents generally have no idea how SDC works.

If you want to fly YVR-CUN (I assume that's a thing?), show up at the airport in time for that flight and see if they'll execute that SDC for you. Changing from two segments to one is a very common and understood reason for wanting a SDC. Though due to the date issues, it would not surprise me if some/many/all agents refuse.

If you want something else, it will depend heavily on what exactly that routing is.

Originally Posted by skybluesea
@canadiancow is the expert in this.
Actually, I have no first-hand experience with this, and can only offer advice that may or may not work. But I appreciate you pinging me. I definitely appreciate getting an email when my name is mentioned in a statement that is false and does not require an urgent reply from me.
codfather likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
https://www.caymanairways.com/CALsuspendsMax8Operations
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
EDIT: Sorry, just saw the earlier posts.

Interesting that China has suspended MAX operations but fairly low impact as there are only ~ 20 of these aircraft operating there.

Last edited by marke190; Mar 10, 2019 at 7:26 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Posted earlier upthread

Originally Posted by Simon
Per Bloomberg, China has grounded all of their MAXs.
​​​​​​​
marke190 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by s_yvr
I was skeptical of overreaction after the Lion Air crash, but 346 people dead on this air frame in 8 months places the onus on Boeing to prove these aircraft are safe. I think a temporary grounding until Boeing can answer the basic questions would be justified. If you want to consider it politically, imagine the reaction if god forbid there is a third accident in the meantime.
We have not yet had the benefit of the findings of comprehensive investigations. Boeing has already demonstrated that the aircraft was 'safe'. It had to certify not just for the US market, but had to also certify for the EU and China according to their standards. Yes, there is a need to exercise caution, but focusing only on mechanical defect including the operating software system is a limiting position and does not take into account a major contributing factor in all air crash incidents; Human error and training.

The preliminary Lion Air findings indicated that both Maintenance policy and Pilot training were a factor in the crash. In respect to the Ethiopian crash we have no idea as to what occurred, nor do we know how the pilots were trained. For all anyone knows it could be something completely unrelated to the alleged control defect as the pilot had sent a distress message prior to impact. I emphasize that the Thai Lion and Ethiopian Air incidents involve pilots who were new to the aircraft as both aircraft were very recent deployments. In respect to the Chinese decision, while on the surface, a prudent decision, one should not be naive. China is the land of escalators that regularly decapitate and debone users, to which the Chinese government has not responded. China is currently in a near trade war with the USA and threatened to curtail Boeing sales in the past year. As such, the position is most likely motivated by politics and not safety.

I do appreciate that people are concerned, and I would be a liar to not have my own concern. I was caught unaware when I boarded my last 737 Max flight in January for a 5 1/2 hour flight. I have nothing negative to say about the quality of the flight, despite our flying through some heavy weather. At the very least one can have a laugh at the Air Canada comment in the Toronto Star;
Air Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said in a statement. “These aircraft have performed excellently from a safety, reliability and customer satisfaction perspective.” Unfortunately, not the best public statement from Air Canada.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marke190

Interesting that China has suspended MAX operations but fairly low impact as there are only ~ 20 of these aircraft operating there.
That's probably why they can afford to... Plus, there might be a bit of politics at play here?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I smell a global grounding coming, based upon suspicion only. I'd be happy to be wrong, however I trust some AC execs & managers have been called into work this fine Sunday. A mandated grounding of any length would create chaos for schedules in the short term, undermine long-term consumer confidence in the aircraft in the medium-term and possibly alter fleet-planning direction in the long-term.

Despite the above, I don't think one need fear the Max at this stage, or worry about changing flights to a different routing to avoid it, but I certainly understand that some people's peace of mind is worth any inconvenience. We all know the probability of being on a flight with a premature return to earth is exceedingly low, but it's not just about cold facts & stats with a hot-button issue like air travel. Few industries have such high customer participation combined with such low customer understanding.

I would caution against a few things: suggesting people avoid the mainstream media when seeking information about this or other incidents, implying that FT members are experts in aviation incidents & hazard assessments and considering AC's pilot training superior to that found among other Max operators.
yhzflyer, skybluesea and 42000ft like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Stranger
That's probably why they can afford to... Plus, there might be a bit of politics at play here?
According to the NY Times:

China’s main airlines are among the biggest users so far of the new Boeing jets, having ordered at least 104 of them and taken delivery already of at least 70. By contrast, many other carriers, often in slower-growing markets than China’s, have taken delivery of only a small fraction of their orders for the Boeing 737 Max.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:03 pm

So there's 24 of them on AC property. If the FAA grounds them pending a proper fix (ie: proper redundant/fault tolerant AoA instrumentation for the MCAS), aside from the routes that absolutely require 737s, can the rest of the fleet pick up the slack? Probably, barring a major air travel downturn due to the weak economy, be a real problem in the summer, eh, since a system almost certainly would take more than 2-3 months to design, test, manufacture, and install?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by czamflyer
......i would caution against a few things: Suggesting people avoid the mainstream media when seeking information about this or other incidents, implying that ft members are experts in aviation incidents & hazard assessments and considering ac's pilot training superior to that found among other max operators.
And you felt this caution was necessary because of the quotes below?

Where is it stated FT member are experts in aviation?

Originally Posted by kenhamer
i don't know the cause of these crashes and don't comment on causes until real investigators complete their investigation. Nor do i think cnn is "fake news."

but two of the cnn commentators (schiavo, quest) are amongst the stupidest beings to ever inhabit the universe. If either of them ever claimed that 2+2=4 i would begin to suspect that every calculator ever manufactured was defective.

some may want to avoid flying the max.

I would suggest you all avoid mainstream media. Even if there is a lack of histrionics, they cater to the average watcher, people who are not ffs, people who may rarely fly. Sure, they interview former pilots, former investigators with the ntsb or faa etc.

There are aviation sites with better info and more relevant perhaps to the ft audience. Aside from interesting discussions on pprune and info posted on avherald, other aviation sites, the boeing & aerospace section of the seattle times......

Last edited by 24left; Mar 10, 2019 at 8:16 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
And you felt this caution was necessary because....
Is this a question or a statement? Please use full sentences so that I may answer in the best way I can.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.