Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Until, and perhaps after, we know the causes of this accident, there will undoubtedly be some very keen attention being paid in Montreal this morning. One would hope that contingency plans are being drawn up just in case of a global fleet disruption, and that they're not waiting for 'corporate' on Monday.
skybluesea and Yul_voyager like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Until, and perhaps after, we know the causes of this accident, there will undoubtedly be some very keen attention being paid in Montreal this morning. One would hope that contingency plans are being drawn up just in case of a global fleet disruption, and that they're not waiting for 'corporate' on Monday.
Plus, it actually looks like the MCAS did strike again. Not good.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
I am not stepping on a MAX until they find the problem and solve it. I feel these planes are unsafe. And personally, I hate these planes.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Question for those who can answer, even if a guess:

If AC was concerned enough about an aircraft in their fleet, can they ground them until whatever issue is causing a couple of those types to fall out of the sky (as well as other issues that have been reported)?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Plus, it actually looks like the MCAS did strike again. Not good.
No it doesn’t, but let’s keep piling on with the uninformed speculation.

A second hull loss for the 7M8 in such a short time isn’t good, but let the professionals do their job before we jump to conclusions. I am sure Air Canada is doing the same.
KenHamer, skybluesea and zeer0 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:20 am

RIP to those onboard.

It's becoming clear AC should never have ditched the A320 family in favour of this Boeing junk. The 737MAX is a antediluvian design stretched and updated once too often, and more uncomfortable than the Airbus design too boot. Won't set foot on one.
YVR72 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Today's crash makes me question the 'machine' vs humans.

How can a new aircraft crash 6 mins after takeoff in perfect weather?

The reports are that the pilots may not have been to override the software...am I off base with that?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Very sad news indeed and will be interested to see whether AC issues any comments regarding their 737 MAX fleet.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

No it doesn’t, but let’s keep piling on with the uninformed speculation.

A second hull loss for the 7M8 in such a short time isn’t good, but let the professionals do their job before we jump to conclusions. I am sure Air Canada is doing the same.
It does to me, starting with which phase of the flight this occurred on. And fresh reports that there was communication reinforces the notion.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-ababa-456490/
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Way too much speculation at a terrible time.

Personally I wouldn't go out of my way yet to avoid a MAX for safety reasons (maybe for Y comfort). I'll wait for some results of the investigations.
KenHamer and skybluesea like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smallmj
Way too much speculation at a terrible time.

Personally I wouldn't go out of my way yet to avoid a MAX for safety reasons (maybe for Y comfort). I'll wait for some results of the investigations.
Even if the two crashes are unrelated, two major accidents so soon after the model was released and with so few of them in service raises serious issues. Note also that Ethiopian is a more reliable operator than Lionair. Add to that the stealthy way that Boeing handles/handled the issues associated with the MCAS and its need.
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
It does to me, starting with which phase of the flight this occurred on. And fresh reports that there was communication reinforces the notion.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-ababa-456490/
This is the literal definition of uninformed speculation. Problem after takeoff + pilot requests RTB = MCAS issue now? You’re going to go off of unreliable FR24 data (which they admit themselves) and a press release from the airline to determine root cause? No investigators on scene, no recorders recovered, nothing else, the crater is still smoking, and yet you know it is MCAS.

Did you know MCAS doesn’t even activate with flaps deployed? Go look at the AGL data we do have and enjoy squaring that circle.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:21 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Question for those who can answer, even if a guess:

If AC was concerned enough about an aircraft in their fleet, can they ground them until whatever issue is causing a couple of those types to fall out of the sky (as well as other issues that have been reported)?
"Can they" ? Sure.

It would result in a ton of flight cancellations, but taking a specific aircraft (or in this case, a couple dozen) out of service is something they do on a daily basis.

I think it's much more likely they would just reinforce to their pilots how to deal with the crash-causing issue(s) unless a regulatory body decided to ground the fleet.
skybluesea and RatherBeInYOW like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Today's crash makes me question the 'machine' vs humans.

How can a new aircraft crash 6 mins after takeoff in perfect weather?

The reports are that the pilots may not have been to override the software...am I off base with that?
Some may want to avoid flying the MAX.

I would suggest you all avoid mainstream media. Even if there is a lack of histrionics, they cater to the average watcher, people who are not FFs, people who may rarely fly. Sure, they interview former pilots, former investigators with the NTSB or FAA etc.

There are aviation sites with better info and more relevant perhaps to the FT audience. Aside from interesting discussions on PPRuNe and info posted on AvHerald, other aviation sites, the Boeing & Aerospace section of the Seattle Times......
zeer0 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.