Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by pitz
Also the more affluent nature of Calgary/Vancouver means proportionally a lot more leisure travel, and those people rarely pay for J anyways.
That's something of a contradiction isn't it? Affluent buyers don't buy J? I know quite a few people in Calgary who buy J for their leisure travel.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
That's something of a contradiction isn't it? Affluent buyers don't buy J? I know quite a few people in Calgary who buy J for their leisure travel.
It may not have been worded well, but I agree with it. A LOT of people are "affluent" enough to take a trip somewhere, but I've had pretty awesome vacations where the total cost (flight hotel entertainment) was less than a one way Z fare.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Damn

.....I have to loose weight now to fly AC
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Damn

.....I have to loose weight now to fly AC
Nah, they wont make you do that (lawsuit possibility & discrimination), but they will push you to buy to 17" seats or buy their cramped 2 3 2 PE seats.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Nah, they wont make you do that (lawsuit possibility & discrimination), but they will push you to buy to 17" seats or buy their cramped 2 3 2 PE seats.
What AC aircraft does/will have 'cramped' 2-3-2 PE seating? Is it the 787 with 19.5" wide 38" pitch seats? How much room do you think PE should have?

If you can't take reality seriously why should any airline.

My only concern is all these illegitimate complaints make the legitimate ones also appear petty and thus go unfixed.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Sebring
Also, if you look at the lifespan of the Embraers at AC, or other aircraft types at some airlines, the need to think "long term" is overrated. The better price and upfront benefits you secure, the easier it will be to remarket the aircraft when an even better one comes along or the consumer market changes and you want to adapt the fleet to those changed competitive conditions.
I'm curious - anybody know what currently has higher resale value (assuming equivalent hours) - 319/320/321 or equivalent 737?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
I'm curious - anybody know what currently has higher resale value (assuming equivalent hours) - 319/320/321 or equivalent 737?
You can eliminate the -700 and A319 for sure

Nvrmnd - thought you meant spcific variant, not A vs B
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevy_boy

Everyone is assuming that because the A320NEO has a wider cabin that AC would use wider seats.

Perhaps they would have still used 17" seats and had a wider aisle.

Impossible to use 17" seats on the 320 because it would require reconfiguration of the interior tracks the seats sit on plus reconfiguration of the standard seat provided by the manufacturers (the seat manufacturers build the basic structural components to the airplane manufacturers standards). Finally the new configuration to 17" wide tracks plus new seats would have to get a supplemental type certificate prior to implementation.

It is the work effort and costs of the above paragraph that dictate all airlines have one set standard width seat for each airplane. For example UA and DL both fly the 320 and 738; but each airline must pick the seats that are configured for the aircraft.
Sorry for the late reply.

If this is true then how are Delta able to use the same seat (17.2" wide) in their 737s and A319/A320s?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
What AC aircraft does/will have 'cramped' 2-3-2 PE seating? Is it the 787 with 19.5" wide 38" pitch seats? How much room do you think PE should have?
How about the PE that Turkish offered with 19.5" x 46" and really good food?

Then again presumably there is a reason why they are doing away with it - too good a product that could not achieve the needed premium.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:01 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Why/When is AC dumping the EMBers?

I am astonished that AC is looking at replacing its EMBs. These are good planes and still relatively new (what 5 yrs?). Surely their life expectancy is much longer. Why is AC flirting with new equipment when these are perfectly good?

As a Canadian I would love to see AC buy the C series but I just cannot rationalize this. What am I missing here?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fuel and maintenance pigs.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Fuel and maintenance pigs.
The Embraer is hardly a pig.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by upgradesecret
I had more share of problems on my E190 flights... maintenance delays... sink not working... electrical component in cockpit not working and had to be replaced before takeoff...kitchen tap once didnt stop running during flight and poor flight attendant had to keep filling jugs with the water that and dump it into the bathroom until the kitchen water ran out....

I'd be happy to see the E190 go...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
I am astonished that AC is looking at replacing its EMBs. These are good planes and still relatively new (what 5 yrs?). Surely their life expectancy is much longer. Why is AC flirting with new equipment when these are perfectly good?

As a Canadian I would love to see AC buy the C series but I just cannot rationalize this. What am I missing here?
Well AC's really only pushing to get rid of the EMBs towards the later end of the decade (with the exception of the Boeing bought 20 which could be leaving anytime!), at which point in time the aircraft will be about 10 years old. My thinking is that it could be better resale, since the aircraft are in popular demand now, why not sell them on if AC can get a steal on a replacement aircraft? I do agree that the aircraft are perfectly good, I just wonder if it's away of ordering a bunch of airplanes while AC's profitable, so the board of directors will approve the order.

Has anyone heard what short term replacement for the 20 EMBs that are leaving will be? Those 737s could be coming a lot sooner than anticipated...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
The EMB is not particularly fuel efficient and it is a small plane. Additionally, it does not fit the current business model all that well. The CSeries is larger and it has a significantly better performance. So, replacing while the EMBs still have resale value might be cost-effective, depending upon the sort of deal they can get on the CSeries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.