Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
To bad the 787's were so late. Because of this, AC got great prices on the 737 and we don't get new A320's. This is a 20 year downgrade!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
To bad the 787's were so late. Because of this, AC got great prices on the 737 and we don't get new A320's. This is a 20 year downgrade!
And a cool little fact: the delay gave AC time to re-evaluate its original plan (06/07) for the 788s to be 32J/190Y. True story.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:17 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Some of us think this is a win. I'll take a 737 over an Airbus any day.

As they used to say: If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.

In all seriousness, Airbus released the Neo well before the decision on the Max. AC had ample time to evaluate both platforms and there were good reasons for choosing either. 787 compensation has been dealt with, so can we stop saying that any decision an airline makes is because of compensation for 787s. Delivery slots were more than certainly an issue for the Airbii among others.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I'll take a 737 over an Airbus any day.
You must be one of the few here. Care to expand on that?

In all seriousness, Airbus released the Neo well before the decision on the Max. AC had ample time to evaluate both platforms and there were good reasons for choosing either... Delivery slots were more than certainly an issue for the Airbii among others.
...and price.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
You must be one of the few here. Care to expand on that?

...and price.
I'm not a fan of the Airbus-es. I'm not saying they are bad airplanes, I just prefer the Boeing. I don't like the noises the Airbus makes, PTU barking, whining of cargo doors closing. They have a strange resonance to them, sort of a (guitar string) vibration to them in flight. I feel like that little buses fly a little nose up. Feels like I'm walking downhill when going to the rear lavs. As the interior goes, either one in interchangeable in my eyes. Airbus is slightly wider at the middle, 737s less curvy along the wall.

I don't see any elegance to in the design of the A319/320/321, especially the 319; looks kind of wonky. It feels like they didn't care what it looks like. You can say that about almost all the Airbus lines, save maybe the A330. The 380 is downright ugly.

In terms of performance (737-900 landing/take off parameters aside) the Boeing is top dog. It can do Hawaii from the Left coast, better take off climb, better hot and high performance. Its not a 757 by any means, though. THAT is a plane I love.

The web is full of Airbus versus Boeing forums, arguments, brawls, so I'm not expecting a consensus, but the fact remains that over 8000 of them have been delivered with over 5900 since Airbus launched the A320. Airbus has delivered over 5400. Current orders are 3600 to 3000 in Airbus advantage with about a 1 year head start on their programme. Considering the C-Series has less than 250 orders one cannot say with any merit that one is vastly superior to the other one. They are both excellent products, but if, for example, I am booking United and have a choice between 2 itineraries of somewhat equivalent time/price, I'll take the 737 option over an Airbus for sure.

As for price, I guess only Boeing, Airbus and AC knows. I believe the people upstairs know how to count and analyzed each offering on hundreds of different parameters, including acquisition cost. Despite the outcries from people here, I do not believe people working at AC are idiots. Conspiracy theories will always exist, but the truth is usually much more logical.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the people upstairs know how to count and analyzed each offering on hundreds of different parameters, including acquisition cost. Despite the outcries from people here, I do not believe people working at AC are idiots. Conspiracy theories will always exist, but the truth is usually much more logical.
Agree.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Been trying to look this up, but haven't seen anything... are the windows any larger or positioned higher on the MAX vs. the 737 NextGens? Flying WestJet or UA 738/739, I really notice the low position of the window vs. the Airbus narrowbodies. Or the Embraers. Or really, pretty much any plane larger than a CRJ.

If they remain the same on the MAX, I'll really miss the A320-family windows. And the extra width, of course.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
Been trying to look this up, but haven't seen anything... are the windows any larger or positioned higher on the MAX vs. the 737 NextGens? Flying WestJet or UA 738/739, I really notice the low position of the window vs. the Airbus narrowbodies. Or the Embraers. Or really, pretty much any plane larger than a CRJ.

If they remain the same on the MAX, I'll really miss the A320-family windows. And the extra width, of course.
They will be the same as recent interiors of the NG.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 737 are cheap. End of the story.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ

Indeed, I have not seen anything on the actual window size, either way. Since neither the Neo nor the Max have any major structural fuselage changes I would assume they haven't changed the window size. That would be an very, very, very expensive change and would probably not be cost effective without going to a blank sheet design or composite fuselage.

I don't believe the windows are any bigger between the two, but as you mentioned the angle at which you look out changes a great deal. Also the inner wall thickness, like on the second deck of the A380. Its like looking out a tube.

Have you had a chance to fly one of the new "Sky" interiors? They have redesigned the wall around the window to appear larger. Not sure it changes anything. The didn't 'look' bigger to me.

The extra width is also a strange issue for me, as the actual seat width between most 737/320 is about ½ inch. I haven't noticed, but maybe I'm too svelte (kidding). In window seats on a 737 the wall curves in more cramping the feet, I can understand someone who likes the window seat might feel a difference, but the rest of the cabin is almost imperceivable. The vaunted 7" width difference is outside. On the inside, at the widest point the difference is 5.7" and 2.8" at eye level.

http://www.boeing.com/randy/images/7...0_width_ip.jpg
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
The 737 are cheap. End of the story.
That's funny. I would have expected a more insightful comment from you. Should I start lower my expectations?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's funny. I would have expected a more insightful comment from you. Should I start lower my expectations?
Probably.

But seriously, price must have beren a major consideration. No matter how you look at this, the 320 series remains a design that is what, almost 20 years newer than the 737, which dates from the mid-late sixties. With a wider cabin.

And delivery slots must have been an issue too. Precisely because most airlines prefer the 320. Why?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:40 am

Probably.

But seriously, price must have beren a major consideration. No matter how you look at this, the 320 series remains a design that is what, almost 20 years newer than the 737, which dates from the mid-late sixties. With a wider cabin.

And delivery slots must have been an issue too. Precisely because most airlines prefer the 320. Why?
Not sure I agree with you about "most airlines prefer the A320" For every airline that operates mostly little busses there are equal and opposite airlines operating 737s.

I will happily agree that both are excellent products and if you prefer the little buses, I can't say you are wrong.

And here I was hoping this didn't turn into an Airbus/Boeing discussion.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
I prefer the 737's from a pressure/jet lag point of view. I prefer the 320's from a comfort perspective in economy.

AC's decision probably boils down to commonality, in a little over 5 years time, the main fleet will be just 777, 787 and 737. Everything else will probably be run by Rouge, or one of the myriad of Air Canada Express monikers. I think this makes sense financially.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:10 am

Is there anything around here fleet related that some posters won't link to late delivery 787s?
AFAIK, AC got a great price on their 787s and were free to walk away from the deal once delays were announced.
Originally Posted by The Lev
...and price.
Agreed.
Probably.
But seriously, price must have beren a major consideration. No matter how you look at this
I think a solid theory is AC were leaning Airbus. They likely had an OK deal but had limited bargaining power as 320s were flying off the shelves.
A week before narrow body deal signed, "somehow" word leaked to FlightGlobal that AC were going Airbus. Boeing, reeling from losing many deals to Airbus and eager to flip a highly visible Airbus narrow-bogy carrier, swoops in with a deal too-good-to-pass and Air Canada makes the deal best for their bottom line
This deal had zero to do with 787 delays, AFAIK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.