Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by After Burner
Nicer in J? Really? I haven't had the pleasure yet but pictures of the J cabin don't fill me with hope.
I have not tried, but it appears that what people wrote earlier in this thread. Unless I missed something.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Nicer in J? Really? I haven't had the pleasure yet but pictures of the J cabin don't fill me with hope.
In my opinion, the new 737 is nicer than the old airbusses in J, yes. I have not tried either one in Y.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Stranger
I have not tried, but it appears that what people wrote earlier in this thread. Unless I missed something.
Well, that's good to hear. I might have first-hand experience later this week.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
In my opinion, the new 737 is nicer than the old airbusses in J, yes. I have not tried either one in Y.
Thanks. I could be spending 150+ hours in one of those seats next year if it's comfortable enough. Otherwise, it won't be on AC.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Thanks. I could be spending 150+ hours in one of those seats next year if it's comfortable enough. Otherwise, it won't be on AC.
I thought it was quite comfortable.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:05 pm

I thought it was quite comfortable.
The real test for comfort is a long flight. I'm perfectly happy doing YYZ-YYC in an A320. YYZ-YVR is too long in that seat (for me).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:10 pm

The real test for comfort is a long flight. I'm perfectly happy doing YYZ-YYC in an A320. YYZ-YVR is too long in that seat (for me).
My 737 experience was YVR YYZ. We may have different experiences. I can only comment on mine. I thought the seating felt roomier and more comfortable. The IFE is larger, as are the OH bins. The plane is much quieter and brighter.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any update on when these birds will receive WiFi?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
My 737 experience was YVR YYZ. We may have different experiences. I can only comment on mine. I thought the seating felt roomier and more comfortable. The IFE is larger, as are the OH bins. The plane is much quieter and brighter.
Thats interesting -- I actually felt it was darker. I think (for me) it was a combination of the color scheme, the lack of light coming from the galley area, and the floor to ceiling walls between J and the galley area, and ??? It just felt darker to me. The screen and IFE is clearly better. There is no wifi yet (huge miss, IMO). The seats are good. Not great, not (for me) as comfortable as the older seats because they want you to have the same crap posture. The old ones (in my books) were 6/10, the 737Max J seats are a 5/10. Obviously that is highly dependent on body type and preference. I like the new tray, but I worry the folding design may succumb to middle age and sag badly in the middle like the ones on the EMBs. It is much much quieter. That is awesome. And one strange observation: maybe because the windows are positioned lower (relative to eye height) but I actually found the ride less comforting for my inner ear. I am guessing that it has something to do with where I expect the horizon to be and where it is. I will have to see if this holds true over time.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ridefar
Thats interesting -- I actually felt it was darker.
Interesting... I get your reasoning, too, but one of the few bright spots of the 7M8, pun intended, was the overall brightness of the cabin. I agree with @YEG_SE4Life — the brightness was striking, but only once the bins were closed. Prior to that point, the cabin felt dark and encumbered.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Things that make you go hmmmm...........

FIN505 (C-FSDW) has been removed from the AC website, however the airframe has been flying back and forth between the delivery centre and the Boeing flight test centre for the past couple of weeks..........
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: 35 K
Just flew for the first time on the 737 max (FIN 502) (even had that new plane smell) and I must say I liked it. I went from YYZ to YYC and that was about as long as I would like to stay in the new seats. Since I was in row 18 I had extra leg room so I was not cramped but I must say the isle did look narrower than the Airbus and people did have trouble passing each other in the isle. I must say I really enjoyed the new entertainment system and loved the games played both Trivia and Hangman.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Looks like I'll be making a booking to travle on my first 7M8 flight in a few weeks.

There has been a bunch of commentary here on the J seats and a bit on Y in general, looking for more specific advice in terms of preferred Y seats and which to choose:
  1. Bulkhead (row 12)
  2. First exit row (row 19)
  3. Second Exit row (row 20)
  4. Standard preferred rows (the other ones)

Based on flying 737-800's with other airlines, I'm inclined to book an aisle in row 20, but open to advice from people who have sampled the preferred offerings.

Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am inclined or reclined to flying J and will try the new product 2 weeks from today on YYZ/YUL Rapidair flight
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yvr76
Any update on when these birds will receive WiFi?
I wouldn't hold my breath, given that the new build CR9s have been in service for over a year with no WiFi.

It's quite pathetic on AC's part, actually, and I'm now actively avoiding 7M8 and CR9 flights, to the extent practical, for this reason. I picked DL a few weeks back over what was otherwise a better itinerary with AC due to the fact that it was during the day and I needed WiFi so I could work.

Then again, AC lagged behind the competition for years on WiFi, so perhaps they felt uncomfortable when they finally got caught up.
BarrieTravelGuy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.