Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SKYEG
It's funny how you can fly for a long time but not think of things like these... I guess I'm not hardcore enough to fly on an inaugural flight (although it's on the bucket list). Didn't even think of people collecting safety card to keep for personal use as it's something I wouldn't do... But I also wouldn't have thought it would have been an issue to keep one as a souvenir. Interesting! Can't believe people take them to sell, lol that's kind of funny.

Only thing I've taken from the plane were the free AC earbuds they give out.... now that should be illegal
safety cards are just one of a billion types of "never though to sell that" items that are common on eBay. One man's trash is another man's treasure. (Replace "man" with "sentient being" for those with a politically correct lump of coal shoved up somewhere )
SKYEG and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
navi is given away for free in the MLL and you don't require permission from the crew to take a copy of navi or en route from the seat pocket. Like, really?
Don't both of those say "yours to take" ?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Why the surprise - it's a fully-integrated type within the AC fleet now. WS already had four of them crisscrossing the skies and gracing gates across the land.
Fully integrated, perhaps, but very few of them, so it's still quite rare to get a flight on one.

Originally Posted by PLeblond
That delay meant I didn't get a 737 Max on my outbound to YYZ. It would have caused a missed connection to ICN. Instead I got on an earlier flight on an old A320, got downgraded to Y, and while waiting in the Signature Suites, was off-loaded from my ICN flight without notification.

So whoever took those safety cards, please note that you messed up more than a few peoples' travels four a souvenir.
Sorry to hear that you missed the 7M8 and had to deal with a crappy old 320 in Y. Why did you get offloaded from the ICN flight if you had gotten on the earlier flight and were chilling in the SSL though?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:41 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Fully integrated, perhaps, but very few of them, so it's still quite rare to get a flight on one.

Sorry to hear that you missed the 7M8 and had to deal with a crappy old 320 in Y. Why did you get offloaded from the ICN flight if you had gotten on the earlier flight and were chilling in the SSL though?
Not really sure, and neither was the concierge. I had just checked with the concierge to see if a seat change I wanted had opened up in J and she confirmed that no it did not, but all was good. 5 minutes later, I get a text from AC of a schedule change to the next day's flight. I went to see the concierge and she said that can't be because she had just checked. Indeed someone (or some automated unit) did not recognize that we took an earlier flight, assumed we would misconnect and offloaded us from the flight. It took 2 concierges 25 minutes to fix it. Even though they did fix it, one of the boarding passes wouldn't scan at the gate.

The cherry on the sundae; the system that rebooked us on the YYZ-ICN the next day did not rebook our ICN-BKK segment leaving us with a negative 21 hour connection in ICN.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
...schedule change...someone (or some automated unit) did not recognize...offloaded us from the flight...boarding passes wouldn't scan...system that rebooked us...negative 21 hour connection...
And all this occurred as a direct result of some avgeek pocketing some safety cards. Losers. Morons.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:49 pm

And all this occurred as a direct result of some avgeek pocketing some safety cards. Losers. Morons.
I disagree, the start of this was some a geek pocketing some safety cards, but the cascading errors were due to horrible IT systems at AC that can't track passengers, or even rebook them properly.
canadiancow, Fiordland and smallmj like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:58 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I would call all that the law of unintended consequences.

Direct results are:
- about 100-150 people delayed 1.5 hours on a TCON redeye. Probably some missed connections
- We were paid J, the downgrade was a bummer for YUL-YYZ I can do standing in the lav. That flight was full, how many other people missed connections because they couls not get on the 7:30?
- The following leg was obviously delayed too. Usually, given an A320, the could easily swap out another fin and all is solved. Given there are only 2 737-MAX in the fleet, I can only imagine the repercussions on fleet scheduling before they got this back on track...

Morons indeed.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I disagree.
I understand this. My point was that missing safety cards had very little to do with most of the pitfalls of the journey.

Morons indeed.
Like the two gentlemen before you, venting any frustrations on a public forum by typing jejune aspersions is likely not the best suggested solution. Chances are slim the offending parties are reading this, nor care two whits, so I wonder what you're all hoping to achieve with the shaming tactics?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:53 pm

Chances are slim the offending parties are reading this, nor care two whits, so I wonder what you're all hoping to achieve with the shaming tactics?
Seeing that avgeeks took the safety cards, and this message board is full of avgeeks, it is quite possible at least one of the thieves will be guilt tripped reading this thread.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Like the two gentlemen before you, venting any frustrations on a public forum by typing jejune aspersions is likely not the best suggested solution. Chances are slim the offending parties are reading this, nor care two whits, so I wonder what you're all hoping to achieve with the shaming tactics?
Call me crazy but when you say the offending parties aren't reading this, or care one whit, I think that describes a lot of what we (collectively) complain about with AC. Are they reading? Meh, maybe. Do they care? Meh, probably not much. (Clean planes anybody, to pick a fairly noncontroversial example.) I think my PLeblond is entitled to vent too. His experience sounds somewhere between a giant PITA and miserable. Venting has got to be in the top 3 use cases of FT, non?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:43 am

Agree with ridefar in that venting is a primary use for this forum, but I'd venture the vents outweigh the useful posts by a large margin, probably ranking in the top spot for actual FT info shared. As for quantumofforce's guilt trip theory, notwithstanding it's like closing the proverbial barn door, I'd make a second venture and state that no, any shame felt by an offending party is either negligible or nonexistent.

Personally, I think those bad-cartoon safety cards are silly things to remove from an aircraft and keep at home, but I also understand that several of the people nodding along in silent agreement have themselves a drawer with airline crested cutlery, perhaps a branded blanket and/or some other obscure item with a logo that serves very little purpose except for hoarding souvenirs.

If AC didn't know before introducing a new type into its fleet that safety cards might walk away in significant numbers (were there similar issues with any other new airplane types?), they do now.

I foresee further thievery of onboard items to satisfy fringe markets, a continued lack of corporate contingency planning and a repeat of insecure keyboard outrage by haughty members who lack even a horse in the race (remember that barn door?).

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Dec 27, 2017 at 8:51 am
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:44 am

_____

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Dec 27, 2017 at 8:50 am Reason: duplicate post - please remove
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Personally, I think those bad-cartoon safety cards are silly things to remove from an aircraft and keep at home, but I also understand that several of the people nodding along in silent agreement have themselves a drawer with airline crested cutlery, perhaps a branded blanket and/or some other obscure item with a logo that serves very little purpose except for hoarding souvenirs.
Not that I'm condoning any of this, but there's a huge difference between taking a fork and taking a safety card.

The fork isn't going to cause any downline inconveniences. If I took all the forks from a 320, what would happen? A new cart would be rolled on before the next flight. No issue.

I'm not convinced that taking 14 safety cards from a 320 wouldn't cause a delay. How many spares are on board? How quickly can they bring more?

And I do know a few people who serve drinks at home in AC glasses.

Anyway, what's next? Life vests? Seat cushions?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anyway, what's next? Life vests? Seat cushions?
Maybe for someone working in a microbiology lab.
marke190 and songsc like this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Next? People already steal life vests.
​​​​​https://www.hongkongfp.com/2015/12/02/mainland-woman-fined-hk2000-for-stealing-life-jacket-as-souvenir-from-cathay-flight/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.