Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
In terms of preference, since none of us have seen the AC configuration, nor a flying A320neo or 737MAX, I'll wait to reserve judgement.

I have been aboard current gen narrow body aircraft, both Boeing and Airbus, in many different configurations, and all I can say is that the best has been Air Canada's Airbus aircraft in terms of economy seating. The current combination of seat width and pitch on AC's Airbus aircraft is the minimum that works for me (6' 2"). Add in the IFE and power at every seat, and it has been an unbeatable combination. US and European airlines are all uncomfortable for me, at best. Okay for 1-2 hour flights, but not for a 4-6 hour transcontinental flight.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:23 am

Can't wait to see how bad the baggage times in YYZ are once these birds are flying for AC. The 320s and 321s are both containerized for baggage and cargo whereas the 737 series is all bulk loaded.

With how slow the YYZ ramp crews are already it will certainly be interesting to see how long they take to offload a fully loaded 739 from YVR, YHZ, or another heavy destination.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:07 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I prefer the Airbus A320 in general for the seat witdh - an extra inch helps as people are not getting any slimmer on average... the Boeing 737 is just too narrow...
The pitch and seat are the choice of the airline - so, yes, an Airbus with 29in pitch and park benches is still painful...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by pitz
IMHO, this is a very bad move for AC on so many levels. And definitely from a customer service point of view.
Do you people not get it? AC management couldn't give a rat's turd about customer service. You, my friend, are nothing more than human freight ... a whiny, fussy cargo that AC brass are obligated to deal with in order to earn even bigger bonuses.

The 777HD and Rogue seating densities are only the tip of an iceberg. Passengers hate it, flight attendants hate it, but none of that matters. The only thing that does matter to AC management is having the right numbers on a spreadsheet at the end of the year, so a bunch of suits in Montreal can take home six-figure bonuses. Your comfort, or working conditions for front-line staff, mean nothing to them.
testycal likes this.

Last edited by Symmetre; Dec 12, 2013 at 8:36 am Reason: fixed a spelling error
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
cram cram cram , sardines here they come. And of course no food, coz, if they feed you on board, you all won't be able to fit into those seats.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
I have to wonder how many people posting in this thread fly anything outside of the AC fleet and have the faintest clue.

Do you honestly think AC would have configured an A320/1 NEO with Lazyboy couches but now that they've ordered the 737 MAX it is going to be park benches?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
The 777HD and Rogue seating densities are only the tip of an iceberg. Passengers hate it, flight attendants hate it, but none of that matters. The only thing that does matter to AC management is having the right numbers on a spreadsheet at the end of the year, so a bunch of suits in Montreal can take home six-figure bonuses. Your comfort, or working conditions for front-line staff, mean nothing to them.
Exactly!

A great shame they went with the 737. Inferior product with sardine can 17" narrow seats - and I am sure AC management will spec them with a reduced seat pitch. They are going to be very unpleasant in Y.

Not that management care as long as their bonuses keep flowing.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
So is AC going to get rid of the E90s and replace them with 737s temporarily, until they find a good 100-150 seat replacement? From what I understand, they're bringing in the 738 and 739 which are more A321-like... what about the A319 and Embraer routes?

I live in YEG where the E90 rules- my regular YUL, YOW, and YVR flights are almost exclusively E90s. I wonder how it will work if they put a 737 on these routes? That would be a huge bump in capacity, or a huge dip in frequency...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by nave888
So is AC going to get rid of the E90s and replace them with 737s temporarily, until they find a good 100-150 seat replacement? From what I understand, they're bringing in the 738 and 739 which are more A321-like... what about the A319 and Embraer routes?

I live in YEG where the E90 rules- my regular YUL, YOW, and YVR flights are almost exclusively E90s. I wonder how it will work if they put a 737 on these routes? That would be a huge bump in capacity, or a huge dip in frequency...
Roughly speaking,
738=A320 + A319 mainline routes
739=A321 + heavy A320 routes (more 739s than 321s they're replacing)
CSeries100=E90 (if order comes to fruition)
A319 to Rouge
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
The Sky interior and strong IFE will compensate for the reduced shoulder room
Yes, I'm sure pretty colours will compensate for torticolis and blood clots. We are running out of arguments to sing the praises of AC...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seven seats across in Y?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: ac ELITE,aa,nwa, Priority Club
Not sure where all the airbus love comes from. It 'should' be apparent to all that AC is gonna cram in as many seats as possible on whatever aircraft it chooses, thus losing an apparent extra space you feel the two types differ in.
Pretty sure the pilots are gonna be annoyed they tend to be 'Airbus' or 'Boeing' people, already talked to someone that was not at all wild about the change.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_lj
Not sure where all the airbus love comes from. It 'should' be apparent to all that AC is gonna cram in as many seats as possible on whatever aircraft it chooses, thus losing an apparent extra space you feel the two types differ in.
Pretty sure the pilots are gonna be annoyed they tend to be 'Airbus' or 'Boeing' people, already talked to someone that was not at all wild about the change.
That's the point in the pro-bus love. AC can ratchet down the seat pitch till you're practically spooning with the passenger in front of you ... but they can't take away those precious extra inches of cabin width!

That is, until they do exactly as Stranger suggests and run seven-across seating. Dang!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:26 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by Symmetre
That's the point in the pro-bus love. AC can ratchet down the seat pitch till you're practically spooning with the passenger in front of you ... but they can't take away those precious extra inches of cabin width!

That is, until they do exactly as Stranger suggests and run seven-across seating. Dang!
You mean moving from a 17.8 inch seat to a 17.3 inch seat. .5 of an inch, or 1.27cm.

Treasure the cm!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by briantoronto
You mean moving from a 17.8 inch seat to a 17.3 inch seat. .5 of an inch, or 1.27cm.

Treasure the cm!
So if I set up a series of 30 seats, starting at 45cm and making each 1.27 cm narrower than the previous one, would you be able to sit comfortably from several hours in all of them indistinctly? In that case, Ill take the 45 cm seat and would happily leave you with the 7.6 cm one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.