Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
But no, for the current management the focus is on low price and executive bonuses. Whether that is the right or wrong strategy is open to debate. What is not open to debate is that flying Y with AC will become more cramped and uncomfortable in the coming years.
I'm far from being an AC fanboy, but why make this about AC? AC selected the 737 because they boeing gave them a better deal. It's about the economics.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
I'm far from being an AC fanboy, but why make this about AC? AC selected the 737 because they boeing gave them a better deal. It's about the economics.
Exactly, the seat issue is moot as it was never going to be anything but a worse choice. That is the new reality. Everyone better go on a diet.

It makes sense to go with one manufacturer for so many reasons. They obviously got a good deal as Boeing is trying to recapture lost market share and seems to be willing to do more than Airbus.

Now it will actually come down to soft product and that is where we shall see the real differences.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Are you saying that people are more likely to get torticollis and thrombosis in a 73x than a 31x/32x? If so, please post a reference.
No, I am saying people are more likely to get them in a 17 - 31 seat than in an 18 - 32. If you had read before posting, you would have got it.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by kevy_boy
Everyone is assuming that because the A320NEO has a wider cabin that AC would use wider seats.

Perhaps they would have still used 17" seats and had a wider aisle.
That would have been a real possibility. Air Canada is not known to pass up on opportunities to piss off its customers.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:53 am

Seems simple, straight forward for anyone who looks at AC as a profit-seeking business.
Airbus is on record saying they lost this deal on price. Guess some on this board would rather AC pay more than market price for their goods when it is well known the vast majority of AC's potential customers won't pay a penny more than the best price when selecting flights.

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
That would have been a real possibility. Air Canada is not known to pass up on opportunities to piss off its customers.
You are under this illusion that customer happiness is more important than profit
You agreed upthread AC has the right to offer products/svcs they think will best help their bottom line. Just as you have the right to choose another carrier. Seems they've made their decision but you want to sit around and whine incessantly. Time to put your big-boy pants on and find another carrier if AC doesn't do it for you.

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Dec 13, 2013 at 8:11 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:25 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Orcair
While I was sad to see the 321 not picked due to its benefits of Door 2L boarding and more spacious cabin I see AC's point of view.
My understanding is most airlines do not board from the 2L door on A321's because it's too close to the wing.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow

You are under this illusion that customer happiness is more important than profit
I think the issue is that there may be a class of customers whose unhappiness might be detrimental to profit.

Real question is if dismissing these to the benefit of the cheap hordes leads to an increase or a decrease in profit.

What I see right now is AC ignoring the issue completely in the BS they serve self-proclaimed "analysts." Who apparently will swallow anything as long as it's nicely packaged?

So yes, we understand the noise coming from AC management. Real question being, can they throw middle yield passengers to the wolves without consequences, or are they indulging in wishful thinking?

(As long as I manage to maintain SE status, I personally don't have much to complain about. However it appears that there are large numbers of lower end business travelers who might end up quite unhappy. All of that to lower the losses on even lower yield customers. Not sure if it adds up. Not even sure if AC themselves truly believe in the BS.)
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Why not wait until AC actually announces the configuration of these aircraft and/or people have sat in said aircraft before we start with all of the indignation?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Why not wait until AC actually announces the configuration of these aircraft and/or people have sat in said aircraft before we start with all of the indignation?
Are you dreaming?

The strategy has been announced: sardine can across the board. Look at the 787. Can you seriously expect better?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: AC50K, HH Dia.
Wink

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Seats will most likely be identical to the seats in the 787 slimline 17", so you bring a pillow to sit on
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
I think the issue is that there may be a class of customers whose unhappiness might be detrimental to profit.
Real question is if dismissing these to the benefit of the cheap hordes leads to an increase or a decrease in profit.
That's the crux of the matter, agreed. So AC has decided to change things up. So far, the results have been stellar.

What I see right now is AC ignoring the issue completely in the BS they serve self-proclaimed "analysts." Who apparently will swallow anything as long as it's nicely packaged?
Were the "self-proclaimed analysts" and financial reports correct the 7 consecutive years of annual losses and share devaluation? Back when lower end biz travellers were happier with AC?

So yes, we understand the noise coming from AC management. Real question being, can they throw middle yield passengers to the wolves without consequences, or are they indulging in wishful thinking?
What are you comparing it to? What time in history do you want AC to replicate? Was it a year they lost loads of money?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question: With Boeing buying back some Embraers, what are they going to do with these aircraft?

It is not as if Boeing has a lot to flog used aircraft.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by kevy_boy
Everyone is assuming that because the A320NEO has a wider cabin that AC would use wider seats.

Perhaps they would have still used 17" seats and had a wider aisle.
Impossible to use 17" seats on the 320 because it would require reconfiguration of the interior tracks the seats sit on plus reconfiguration of the standard seat provided by the manufacturers (the seat manufacturers build the basic structural components to the airplane manufacturers standards). Finally the new configuration to 17" wide tracks plus new seats would have to get a supplemental type certificate prior to implementation.

It is the work effort and costs of the above paragraph that dictate all airlines have one set standard width seat for each airplane. For example UA and DL both fly the 320 and 738; but each airline must pick the seats that are configured for the aircraft.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow

What are you comparing it to? What time in history do you want AC to replicate? Was it a year they lost loads of money?
I agree that the strategy of previous management, which domestically consisted of getting smaller planes and trying for higher unit fares, ended up not working. Mainly because WS kept adding seats as AC was cutting. While AC, having bought the E90, ended up with higher costs.

However, going to the other extreme does not smell right either. Filling a large number of seats at fares below average costs was precisely what led to the demise of many airlines back in the days when they all had to have 747s as status symbols, which they could never fill. Higher fares for profit, lower fares for cash flow. Will work only if the latter are few.

Takes lots of rock bottom customers and still at relatively high fares to balance the loss of mid-range more frequent travelers.

I only hear AC talking about lower unit costs, while corresponding fares does not seem to enter the equation.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by airbus320
Question: With Boeing buying back some Embraers, what are they going to do with these aircraft?

It is not as if Boeing has a lot to flog used aircraft.
Boeing will resell the E90s either to another operator, a leasing company, or part them out.

Most likely Boeing will take a loss on the transaction when the resell the E90s. Boeing took a similar hit one the purchase of 343 from SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.