Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
Airbus aircraft can be configured to be just as dense as the Boeing. In fact, AA is doing just that.
Passenger comfort has absolutely no bearing in this context in the selection of the aircraft manufacturer.
Yes and no. The 320 family of aircraft has a slightly wider cabin than the 737. While I agree in terms of decreasing seat pitch that airlines can configure the planes to be equally dense, the marginal 1” extra that you can get in the width of the seat on an airbus makes a difference IMHO. I don’t feel as squished on a rouge 319 as I did once in Y- on a 7M8.
pitz, Clipper801, ffsim and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Keep this on hold for a couple of days. Either AC won't be able to withstand the pressure and join the list of airlines that grounded the 7M8, or at least will allow changes, or the early details of the investigation will offer enough clarity for the issue to go away. There is a strong motivation for quick emergency measures if needed so one would expect action on early analysis, and the recorders have been found.
Yeah if I was AC, I'd be at least beginning to put together a gameplan of how many additional A32x (and even 787/767/A330/B777) sorties could be operated, and how many 737 pilots could revert to the 320s to fill in the labour gap if the entire fleet has to be parked for 6 months.

This thread may end up being the ultimate "I told you so" thread to AC management...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER

Yes and no. The 320 family of aircraft has a slightly wider cabin than the 737. While I agree in terms of decreasing seat pitch that airlines can configure the planes to be equally dense, the marginal 1” extra that you can get in the width of the seat on an airbus makes a difference IMHO. I don’t feel as squished on a rouge 319 as I did once in Y- on a 7M8.
Thank you, exactly what I was going to reply to Cedric.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pitz
Yeah if I was AC, I'd be at least beginning to put together a gameplan of how many additional A32x (and even 787/767/A330/B777) sorties could be operated, and how many 737 pilots could revert to the 320s to fill in the labour gap if the entire fleet has to be parked for 6 months.
Not sure about the 6 month part.

But otherwise, there is no doubt in my mind that AC is planning for how to deal with a grounding. It would be irresponsible not to. If evidence comes forward that MCAS is a likely cause, a grounding is very likely
5mm likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
I have a Max flight next week. Unless something changes before then I’ll be doing a SDC.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
I've got a MAXX flight on Wednesday. Oh noes!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
...there is no doubt in my mind that AC is planning for how to deal with a grounding. It would be irresponsible not to. If evidence comes forward that MCAS is a likely cause, a grounding is very likely
Agree completely. Right now kind of reminds me of Schrödinger's cat. We don’t know what the cause of the crash is, but the (black) box will soon be open. If it is determined that MCAS (or some other previously unidentified flaw) is a root cause, TC-mandated grounding could certainly happen. AC would be foolish to not be coming up with contingency plans for such an outcome.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
In the event of a fleet-wide grounding of the 7M8 what would happen to the flight crew? Would AC temporarily assign pilots to other another aircraft for which they hold a type-rating or would they, too, be grounded? In any case I'm sure there are numerous memos being scrambled and sent around within AC.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by marke190
In the event of a fleet-wide grounding of the 7M8 what would happen to the flight crew? Would AC temporarily assign pilots to other another aircraft for which they hold a type-rating or would they, too, be grounded? In any case I'm sure there are numerous memos being scrambled and sent around within AC.
It would be a giant mess. AFAIK if a pilot was previously certified on a 320 you can’t simply put them back after having been on the 737. IIRC credentials for flying a certain aircraft lapse after a certain amount of time (6 months comes to mind), so pilots would basically need to retrain on the aircraft type, go to ground school/simulators/etc. and pass line indoc.

Not sure if there is a way to expedite for people who previously flew the aircraft. Hopefully some of our subject matter experts can chime in!
marke190 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CANIC?

"External reports are drawing similarities between this accident and the Lion Air flight 610 accident on October 29, 2018. However, this investigation has just begun and to date we have not been provided data to draw any conclusions or take any actions," says the FAA in a "Continued Airworthiness Notification to the International Community", or CANIC. [...] Some industry insiders expressed uncertainty about the purpose or significance of a CANIC, with some saying they had never heard of the document.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ng-faa-456537/
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
At least it's Continued and not Perpetual
flyquiet likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a way, if this case were not the MCAS but a different issue, might be even worse. One thing that seems to have happened is that organs such as the FAA no longer have the weight/credibility to take a strong stand against plane manufacturers, as the manufacturers have grown into huge businesses while the FAA if anything probably has shrunk over the years. So if manufacturers take a strong stand, the FAA cannot do much but ending up endorsing. Then when the bean counters take control...
5mm likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Stranger
Keep this on hold for a couple of days. Either AC won't be able to withstand the pressure and join the list of airlines that grounded the 7M8, or at least will allow changes, or the early details of the investigation will offer enough clarity for the issue to go away. There is a strong motivation for quick emergency measures if needed so one would expect action on early analysis, and the recorders have been found.
I’m with you but even if they allow changes, or sub in a different aircraft, she won’t fly. At least not anytime soon. As I said, she is a nervous flyer anyway but I think she might have still been ok had it not been for her familial connection to one of the poor ET passengers. I don’t think she will get past this. So I am hoping, but not optimistic, that they will agree to a refund rather than a free change, aircraft change or credit.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: TK *G
It’s too early to say whether 7M8 is unsafe or not, however grounding 7M8 does not require proving it’s unsafe, can’t proving it’s safe is sufficient.

Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Reading the last couple of days of this thread brings 3 thoughts to the forefront for me.

1. This is just so terribly sad. Peace to all family and friends affected.
2. This place is full of people who have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to aircraft safety and the decisions airlines face about whether to ground a fleet or not - I am chief among this group.
3. Some people really like to hear themselves speak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.