Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left

QUOTE:

"a force of as much as 100 pounds of pressure."
Alas, credibility ends up right there.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
Alas, credibility ends up right there.
Did you mean "alas, credibility ends right there"?
Also, tell Bloomberg.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you mean "alas, credibility ends right there"?
Also, tell Bloomberg.
Yes, talking about Blomberg in this instance. I don't know that they have declered themselves infallible yet, in contrast with some other authorities.

But back to topic:

Pressure is not the same as force. Pressure is in force per unit area. Not pounds. Anyone who cannot get that simple stuff right ought to keep their mouth shut on clearly more complex issue.

Typical of news folks who know and talk knowledgeable about everything about everything but in truth know nothing.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
Yes, talking about Blomberg in this instance. I don't know that they have declered themselves infallible yet, in contrast with some other authorities.

But back to topic:

Pressure is not the same as force. Pressure is in force per unit area. Not pounds. Anyone who cannot get that simple stuff right ought to keep their mouth shut on clearly more complex issue.

Typical of news folks who know and talk knowledgeable about everything about everything but in truth know nothing.
Well, that whole issue of the media and those who pen columns not being knowledgeable about the topics they write about, is not news. Feel free to email Bloomberg and let them know about pressure vs force.

On a personal note.....there are those in the audience (on FT and in the outside world), who understand the value of investigation, analysis, determining cause, preventing future recurrence/ occurrence, design, regulation, safety, engineering and so on. I very much enjoy the details of the discussions about aircraft, flying etc., and obviously, I read other aviation-related forums because it interests me and I like to learn. As such, I've been following this Boeing 737MAX issue discussed in this thread, on PPRuNe, FlightGlobal and similar.

Mainstream media are there to fill the 24-hour news cycle. Sometimes, there is some useful info, sometimes, what is written/presented barely qualifies as cheap thrills.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
At the end of the day, the 7M8 is just the latest iteration of an airplane that is now over 50 years old. The more one varies from the original design, the more opportunity exists for serious flaws to arise.

Today's travel realities - more carry-on bags, larger and heavier passengers (on average), desire for greater range, desire for more seats requiring deletion and/or shrinkage of washrooms, etc etc - are getting that much harder to accommodate with the old 737 platform. It was never designed to do what airlines demand from it now, like carry more than 200 passengers (it was designed for 85 - 100) or regularly fly TATL routes (it was designed for short-hauls).

IMHO, Boeing has taken the 737 far beyond its best before date. That it has been able to do so is testament to the quality of the original design. But it's time to start over with a clean sheet. There will come a point where safety is compromised ... whether the 7MM8 represents that point or not remains to be seen.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
At the end of the day, the 7M8 is just the latest iteration of an airplane that is now over 50 years old. The more one varies from the original design, the more opportunity exists for serious flaws to arise.

Today's travel realities - more carry-on bags, larger and heavier passengers (on average), desire for greater range, desire for more seats requiring deletion and/or shrinkage of washrooms, etc etc - are getting that much harder to accommodate with the old 737 platform. It was never designed to do what airlines demand from it now, like carry more than 200 passengers (it was designed for 85 - 100) or regularly fly TATL routes (it was designed for short-hauls).

IMHO, Boeing has taken the 737 far beyond its best before date. That it has been able to do so is testament to the quality of the original design. But it's time to start over with a clean sheet. There will come a point where safety is compromised ... whether the 7MM8 represents that point or not remains to be seen.

https://www.pprune.org/10319902-post1651.html

Symmetre and quantumofforce like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But eh, the 7M8 was cheap. And no one ever got fired for buying Boeing.

Of course, when moving from Seattle to Chicago, Boeing evolved from being an organization where engineers carried the day to one dominated by MBAs/business types. Just as most airlines including our favorite one. I guess I should have included lawyers too..

And with accidents apparently few and in between, they quickly become a theoretical nicety, perceived as disconnected from reality. Safety being obviously an issue raised by engineers to make themselves more important than they are.

Safety is expensive. Until an accident happens when suddenly it turns out safety was actually cheap in comparison...
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Was on AC615 today. I neither died or had to use the lav.

Good day so far.
jasdou and smallmj like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by RangerNS

Good day so far.
LOL ..... exactly.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:12 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
At 188cm (that's 6'2" to my pals South of the line) I'm going to brush up on my origami before attempting to use the J lav on a Max again. Some serious folding and unfolding required.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RangerNS

Good day so far.
Outstanding.

Originally Posted by Symmetre
LOL ..... exactly.
LOL

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
At 188cm (that's 6'2" to my pals South of the line) I'm going to brush up on my origami before attempting to use the J lav on a Max again. Some serious folding and unfolding required.
LMAO. Pretzeling perhaps? Also, a large bib or raincoat for the splashback.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:28 pm

Also, a large bib or raincoat for the splashback.
Eew, Thanks for that image. Really.

I don't fly domestic much and I've only been MAXed once. But I'm still happy I'm on an old reliable 319 both ways for the YYC 'Do'.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Eew, Thanks for that image. Really.
It's not as eew as you think. She's referring to the sink. I think.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by smallmj
My mistake. My potty mind at work again, apparently.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smallmj
Exactly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.