Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Oh boy? Thins kind of thing is practically a daily occurrence around the globe.

But it was a MAX so let's run news stories! Post in FT!! Panic!!!
Come on. A Max flight declaring an emergency on takeoff is newsworthy at the moment. Especially considering there were probably fewer than 10 Max flights today.

Panic? Where do you see panic? The only person overreacting here is you
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Interesting article

How the Bizarre Economics of Airplanes Raises the Stakes of the Boeing Fallout

Strange things can happen when a business is based on millions of people flying around in $100 million metal boxes that can take a year to build.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-value/584947/

QUOTES:

Volodymyr Bilotkach, an economist at Newcastle University and the author of The Economics of Airlines, says that if cancellations do materialize, Boeing likely doesn’t have a great Plan B, but neither does anyone else. The airplane-building industry, he says, is an “effective duopoly,” meaning it’s dominated by two suppliers: “There is no way Airbus”—the other half of the duopoly—“will be able to come to the rescue, as that manufacturer’s order book is also not empty.” Indeed, one analyst who follows Boeing closely told
Bloombergearlier this week that his firm didn’t see “meaningful long-term risk” for the company. (Bilotkach says it’s possible that instead of taking their business elsewhere, some airlines might opt for older Boeing-made models with safer records.)

Airlines—Boeing’s customers—are not in a great position either. The primary challenge in the industry, says Clifford Winston, an economist at the nonpartisan Brookings Institution, is how far in advance airlines have to decide how large their fleet should be at any given time. “A plane takes a long time to make,” he says—sometimes a year or longer, and even buying used planes can take a while. Airlines’ task, in essence, is to guess how many people want to go from, say, Nashville to Denver on this day next year, and then buy a bunch of elaborate, $100 million metal contraptions accordingly.

Because airlines’ fleets are assembled according to long-term projections, they might have trouble adapting quickly to events that hurt demand, such as recessions or terrorist attacks.“That’s when they lose a ton of money,” Winston says.

Winston says that this shortage of capacity draws attention to another quirk of airline economics: Only American carriers are allowed to fly trips starting and ending in the U.S. He’s in favor of extending what are called “cabotage rights” to overseas airlines, one benefit of which would be that they could provide more seats in situations like this, after a surprise reduction in capacity.

Where does all this leave passengers? Winston expects to see airlines cancel some flights and perhaps raise the prices of others to compensate for the lost revenue. That means some passengers might end up spending more to get where they need to go on their preferred timeline; others might just have to be flexible on their departure time, consider another mode of transit, or not go at all."
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I think you're making an assumption that every mitigation is software or manuals/training. If a mitigation is found that involves a significant hardware change followed by a recertification of the plane, I believe that Boeing will forcefully resist doing it.
Did you miss the part of my post in which I specifically included hardware? Regardless of whether or not Boeing resists, if the plane is recertified, the specific causes of the two crashes - likely MCAS related - will have almost certainly been resolved.

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
That leaves the hazards from any other deficiency stemming from the same root cause - i.e. the drive to push the MAX to the flightline on a ridiculously compressed schedule, cutting corners and implementing undocumented kludges to maintain a supposed type interoperability.
Yes, it does. With that in mind, I wrote in my post: "I have little doubt the manufacturer will also exhaustively review every other system from nose to tail."

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
You don't get the point. It's no longer an engineer, aviation or software issue.

It's a *trust* issue. That's harder to fix.
Strange conclusion. I "got the point", not only in a number of my upthread posts in which I specifically discussed the erosion of public and airlines' trust, I alluded to it in the very post you quoted: "That may be of little comfort for many thousands of Canadian passengers who face future Max flights with AC, WS etc."

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Why would you assume that? Boeing has already demonstrated that they are less interested in open and honest presentation of this aircraft that is expected by a reasonable person.

The FAA has demonstrated, through perhaps decades of cuts and the recent shutdown, they are not able to stand up to Boeing, either.

This is not a new never before collection of 6 failures as modern crashes usually are. This was due to a explicit cost savings move.

The whole concept of trust is gone. Boeing to the FAA, Boeing to pilots, Boeing to airlines, the FAA to other regulatory agencies worldwide.
Well, er, because of the exact reasons you listed. Boeing has been 'caught' potentially cutting corners and will now bend over backwards to rectify what never should have happened. I use the term 'potentially', because I don't hold the level of inside knowledge of the Lion Air & Ethiopian crashes required to make declarations such as "This was due to..." Anyway, with the current level of global attention now thrust upon them, and Boeing a household name for all the wrong reasons, it provides a really solid incentive to 'get it right this time'. We can all agree that it should have been 'got right' the first time, but nothing spurs a corporation like the threat of market annihilation. The complete loss of the Max line would all but guarantee that outcome.

It's a never-ending source of amusement when people contradict posts without fully reading the post they quoted, or without following the thread closely enough to discern members' positions based upon previous comments.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:55 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
You don't get the point. It's no longer an engineer, aviation or software issue.

It's a *trust* issue. That's harder to fix.
If Air Canada keeps the 737MAX do you trust them more than Boeing?
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by KenHamer; Mar 27, 2019 at 2:01 am
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
MCAS Software Update

I suspect this is what they'll end up getting certified with the FAA, and then getting TC and EASA to certify if they follow through with their promises to do their own independent reviews.
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
MCAS Software Update

I suspect this is what they'll end up getting certified with the FAA, and then getting TC and EASA to certify if they follow through with their promises to do their own independent reviews.
This is what I expected. I think expectations that the entire aircraft would require recertification are not rational.

That is not to say that Boeing should not be taken to the woodshed if it turns out that they misled the FAA during the certification process. If they did, I expect they will be severely punished.
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Analysis from FlightGlobal

Boeing presents MCAS fix to pilots, regulators and media

By Bjorn Fehrm March 27, 2018, © Leeham News

https://leehamnews.com/2019/03/27/bo...ia/#more-29743

QUOTE:
"Implementation of the fix
Boeing will now work to have the software update, which takes about one hour to install on the 737 MAX, approved by the world’s Airworthiness authorities. As the authorities are in the drivers’ seats for when the update gets approved to install, it’s impossible to say when the individual airline’s 737 MAX will fly again. It all depends when their local regulator approved the fix and allow the MAX to return to operation."
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
  • Flight control system will now compare inputs from both AOA sensors. If the sensors disagree by 5.5 degrees or more with the flaps retracted, MCAS will not activate. An indicator on the flight deck display will alert the pilots.
  • If MCAS is activated in non-normal conditions, it will only provide one input for each elevated AOA event. There are no known or envisioned failure conditions where MCAS will provide multiple inputs.
  • MCAS can never command more stabilizer input than can be counteracted by the flight crew pulling back on the column. The pilots will continue to always have the ability to override MCAS and manually control the airplane.
Seems like a reasonable and even common-sense approach. Really makes you wonder how nobody thought about these things before launch
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Seems like a reasonable and even common-sense approach. Really makes you wonder how nobody thought about these things before launch
Well. Sort of. Common sense for aircraft would be to use three sensors and require two failures before something catastrophic could be allowed to happen. And if blowback is the ultimate issue (as some analysts have suggested) I am not sure this solves that -- although it might eliminate most circumstances in which MCAS could trigger a blowback event? (I am neither a pilot nor an engineer so don't take my word for it!)
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ridefar
Well. Sort of. Common sense for aircraft would be to use three sensors and require two failures before something catastrophic could be allowed to happen. And if blowback is the ultimate issue (as some analysts have suggested) I am not sure this solves that -- although it might eliminate most circumstances in which MCAS could trigger a blowback event? (I am neither a pilot nor an engineer so don't take my word for it!)
Back in the day of the space shuttle, there was a study into how many levels of redundancy were required. For obvious reasons, the flight control system had to be tolerant of multiple failures. It was decided that 4 computers plus an additional backup were needed, allowing for a failure but with three systems remaining so there would not be a situation where if one computer disagreed, there would be a stand-off. Maybe this is overkill for an airplane, but having only two sensors means if they disagree, you don't know which one is right. A friend of mine from the navy used to say, two is one and one is none. For this reason, you want to have three.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
Analysis from FlightGlobal

Boeing presents MCAS fix to pilots, regulators and media

By Bjorn Fehrm March 27, 2018, © Leeham News

https://leehamnews.com/2019/03/27/bo...ia/#more-29743

QUOTE:
"Implementation of the fix
Boeing will now work to have the software update, which takes about one hour to install on the 737 MAX, approved by the world’s Airworthiness authorities. As the authorities are in the drivers’ seats for when the update gets approved to install, it’s impossible to say when the individual airline’s 737 MAX will fly again. It all depends when their local regulator approved the fix and allow the MAX to return to operation."
As usual, the comments following the article are much more interesting than the news itself.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:55 am
Suspended

Regulators knew before crashes that 737 MAX trim control was confusing in some conditions: document

Reuters - MARCH 29, 2019 / 1:23 AM / UPDATED 8 HOURS AGO

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKCN1RA0DP

Boeing 737 MAX’s anti-stall system was activated before Ethiopia crash: report

March 29, 2019

https://globalnews.ca/news/5109685/b...investigation/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/29/afric...ntl/index.html
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:30 pm

Is the Boeing 737 Max Worth Saving?

Is the Boeing 737 MAX Worth Saving?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:34 pm

I'm moving my prediction to post-October.

Boeing 737 MAX 8 software fix delayed by a few weeks, FAA says

"FAA spokesman Greg Martin said that “time is needed for additional work by Boeing as the result of an ongoing review of the 737 MAX Flight Control System to ensure that Boeing has identified and appropriately addressed all pertinent issues.”"

https://globalnews.ca/news/5119425/b...oftware-delay/
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I hope the FAA is concerned about the time that they need to take to identify and address all issues.

Boeing doing what was best for Boeing and everyone else is what got us here.
Symmetre likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 1, 2019 at 7:17 pm Reason: content

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.