Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:02 pm

Yup, I ain't getting on one of these failed aircraft anytime soon.

"

NYT: Pilots had 40 seconds to avert disaster in test of Boeing 737 Max plane"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/ameri...ntl/index.html
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC

737 Max flight manual may have left MCAS information on 'cutting room floor'

Flight manual of Boeing's 737 Max 8 planes mentions MCAS computer system only once

In the over 1,600-page flight manual of Boeing's 737 Max 8 planes, the aircraft's new MCAS computer system, now at the centre of the investigations into two deadly crashes, is mentioned only once by name — in the glossary of abbreviated terms.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/boeing-737-m...CBjoNlF5A_4p8M

Ron.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Both of the articles above refer to the state of the Max program in hindsight, ie: before the global grounding. When they are eventually certified to fly again, the Max aircraft will possess the necessary software, hardware, manual references and pilot training required to ensure that MCAS will not cause another crash. I have little doubt the manufacturer will also exhaustively review every other system from nose to tail. People are free to hold their own opinions and comfort levels when deciding whether or not to fly this aircraft again, but it's safe to say that hazards from this deficiency will have been well and truly mitigated. That may be of little comfort for many thousands of Canadian passengers who face future Max flights with AC, WS etc.

The crashes shouldn't have happened in the first place; Boeing is hardly absolved from lack of oversight, decision-making or mishandling of the Max program that may have led to the accidents.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
... but it's safe to say that hazards from this deficiency will have been well and truly mitigated.
I think you're making an assumption that every mitigation is software or manuals/training. If a mitigation is found that involves a significant hardware change followed by a recertification of the plane, I believe that Boeing will forcefully resist doing it.

I agree with you that the low hanging mitigations will be implemented.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
it's safe to say that hazards from this deficiency will have been well and truly mitigated.
That leaves the hazards from any other deficiency stemming from the same root cause - i.e. the drive to push the MAX to the flightline on a ridiculously compressed schedule, cutting corners and implementing undocumented kludges to maintain a supposed type interoperability. Boeing needs more than a software update to regain the public's trust.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:53 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
And this, from the Seattle Times:

FAA had initial version of Boeing’s proposed software fix seven weeks before the Ethiopian crash

Acting Federal Aviation Administration chief Daniel Elwell will tell a Senate hearing Wednesday that “Boeing submitted … to the FAA for certification” its proposed flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX on January 21, according to a copy of his prepared remarks obtained by the Seattle Times.

That’s nearly seven weeks before the fatal crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 that killed 157 people.

Elwell’s testimony says “the FAA’s ongoing review of this software installation and training is an agency priority.”

Yet the revelation that the agency had at least an early version of Boeing’s software patch in January is sure to raise the question of whether it could have been approved and deployed to the worldwide MAX fleet earlier, before the Ethiopian accident.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 26, 2019 at 2:57 pm Reason: Pasting news articles in entirety against FT Rules
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1

FAA had initial version of Boeing’s proposed software fix seven weeks before the Ethiopian crash

Acting Federal Aviation Administration chief Daniel Elwell will tell a Senate hearing Wednesday that “Boeing submitted … to the FAA for certification” its proposed flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX on January 21, according to a copy of his prepared remarks obtained by the Seattle Times.

That’s nearly seven weeks before the fatal crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 that killed 157 people.

Elwell’s testimony says “the FAA’s ongoing review of this software installation and training is an agency priority.”

Yet the revelation that the agency had at least an early version of Boeing’s software patch in January is sure to raise the question of whether it could have been approved and deployed to the worldwide MAX fleet earlier, before the Ethiopian accident.
It takes time to test the update to make sure it doesn't lead to bugs other than the issues it fixes. You can't just rush the update through.

I get the leap you are trying to make here, but given past events, I'm not sure those industries are exactly poster children for effective regulation and/or compliance.
nor does it appear the airline industry is either. Is any industry a poster child for self regulation and/or compliance?

​​​​​​​
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite

Without trying to take this too political.... let's not forget that the US Government (including the FAA) were shutdown at the time the patch was submitted. They had been shutdown for basically a month on Jan 21 and everything was behind schedule. I recall reading about one airline in the US how they couldn't take delivery of a new type for them because the FAA wasn't available to review/approve their procedures for the new type.

Everything was backed up.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:27 pm

....the Max aircraft will possess the necessary software, hardware, manual references and pilot training required to ensure that MCAS will not cause another crash.
You don't get the point. It's no longer an engineer, aviation or software issue.

It's a *trust* issue. That's harder to fix.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:31 pm

NVM del

Last edited by InTheAirGuy; Mar 26, 2019 at 4:32 pm Reason: Del
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
have little doubt the manufacturer will also exhaustively review every other system from nose to tail.
Why would you assume that? Boeing has already demonstrated that they are less interested in open and honest presentation of this aircraft that is expected by a reasonable person.

The FAA has demonstrated, through perhaps decades of cuts and the recent shutdown, they are not able to stand up to Boeing, either.

This is not a new never before collection of 6 failures as modern crashes usually are. This was due to a explicit cost savings move.

The whole concept of trust is gone. Boeing to the FAA, Boeing to pilots, Boeing to airlines, the FAA to other regulatory agencies worldwide.

Why should Transport Canada take FAA word for it in a couple of months? Why should Air Canada? Why should I?

MAX needs to start from scratch. Taxi test. Touch and go test. Ascend at 1° test. Ascend at 2° test. Etc etc etc.

The burden is on Boeing and the FAA to do a full and documented test process.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Why should I?
Do you trust cars? Do you trust ATC? Why should you?

I would get on a MAX tomorrow if they were still flying. Actually not tomorrow since I have to work, but Tuesday of next week when I have 2 flights, one of which was supposed to be a MAX, I would have no hesitation getting on board.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq

I would get on a MAX tomorrow if they were still flying. .
As they say in Oz, 'good on you.'

Hope you find a pilot

"For my fellow pilots, trust has been seriously eroded. Considering that Boeing did not include a detailed description of the MCAS (Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System), the flight-control software that has been linked to both crashes, can pilots trust Boeing with any of its other products? They are right to ask, "What else is Boeing not telling me?" "

Pilot: Can pilots trust Boeing again?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/25/opini...end/index.html

Of course, what do pilots know?

Like I said, it's not an engineering issue anymore. It's a trust issue.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Oh boy. Southwest 8701 (737 Max re-positioning flight) declared an emergency today on takeoff from MCO and returned safely to MCO.

Appears to have been an engine issue and not related to MCAS.

Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Oh boy. Southwest 8701 (737 Max re-positioning flight) declared an emergency today on takeoff from MCO and returned safely to MCO.

Appears to have been an engine issue and not related to MCAS.
Oh boy? Thins kind of thing is practically a daily occurrence around the globe.

But it was a MAX so let's run news stories! Post in FT!! Panic!!!
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.