Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Trim tabs? No, there are no trim tabs on transport category aircraft. At least not at the current ones. The entire horizontal stabilizer is moving when the aircraft is trimmed.
Agreed, airliners aren't like Cessnas but there is more than one moving surface. On the 737, the stabilizers move and there are elevators and there are balance tabs.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
The longer impact for AC will be how many regular PAX (in the short term at least) will be happy to fly on a max when they do take to the sky again.
Regular PAX? I don't know.

FFers? Soon as they hear "...well there's upgrade space on the 7M8..."
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Pretty good write-up in the NYT today: Boeing Was ‘Go, Go, Go’ to Beat Airbus With the 737 Max.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Pretty good write-up in the NYT today: Boeing Was ‘Go, Go, Go’ to Beat Airbus With the 737 Max.
@capedreamer
Thanks for posting this.

So, the MAX was born as a reincarnation of the 737 because Boeing was really concerned about losing the AA sale to Airbus.
As for the design issues mentioned in this article, I wonder if AC knew any of this before they decided to buy these cheap(er) and "easy to fly" MAXs.

QUOTEs:

"A technician who assembles wiring on the Max said that in the first months of development, rushed designers were delivering sloppy blueprints to him. He was told that the instructions for the wiring would be cleaned up later in the process, he said.

His internal assembly designs for the Max, he said, still include omissions today, such as not specifying which tools to use to install a certain wire, a situation that could lead to a faulty connection. Normally such blueprints include intricate instructions."

.......“Any designs we created could not drive any new training that required a simulator,” Ludtke said. “That was a first.”

When upgrading the cockpit with a digital display, he said, his team wanted to redesign the layout of information to give pilots more data that were easier to read. But that might have required new pilot training.

So instead, they simply re-created the decades-old gauges on the screen. “We just went from an analog presentation to a digital presentation,” Ludtke said. “There was so much opportunity to make big jumps, but the training differences held us back.”
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Boeing Plans Fixes to Make 737 MAX Stall-Prevention Feature Easier ...

Wall Street Journal March 23 2019

I wonder how many from AC are going.

QUOTES:

"Even after the changes are fully implemented in the U.S., air-safety regulators in Canada and the EU are poised to conduct their own evaluation of the new software as well as how the FAA initially certified the plane to carry passengers. Those reviews could take months, according to safety experts."

The group engaging in this weekend’s preview of the changes includes pilots from U.S. MAX operators: Southwest Airlines Co. , American Airlines Group Inc. and United Continental Holdings Inc., a person familiar with the matter said. On Wednesday, this person added, a larger group of more than 100 pilots from a broad cross section of MAX operators are due at Boeing’s 737 factory in Renton, Wash., for a similar session.

....Under the new design, warning devices will alert crews if there is a problem with sensors before takeoff or in flight, people familiar with the redesign said."
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
@capedreamer
Thanks for posting this.

So, the MAX was born as a reincarnation of the 737 because Boeing was really concerned about losing the AA sale to Airbus.
As for the design issues mentioned in this article, I wonder if AC knew any of this before they decided to buy these cheap(er) and "easy to fly" MAXs.

QUOTEs:

"A technician who assembles wiring on the Max said that in the first months of development, rushed designers were delivering sloppy blueprints to him. He was told that the instructions for the wiring would be cleaned up later in the process, he said.

His internal assembly designs for the Max, he said, still include omissions today, such as not specifying which tools to use to install a certain wire, a situation that could lead to a faulty connection. Normally such blueprints include intricate instructions."

.......“Any designs we created could not drive any new training that required a simulator,” Ludtke said. “That was a first.”

When upgrading the cockpit with a digital display, he said, his team wanted to redesign the layout of information to give pilots more data that were easier to read. But that might have required new pilot training.

So instead, they simply re-created the decades-old gauges on the screen. “We just went from an analog presentation to a digital presentation,” Ludtke said. “There was so much opportunity to make big jumps, but the training differences held us back.”
WRT drawings with errors, what you are describing happens a lot more than you might think. Not to excuse it, but it's not unusual.

WRT constraining design changes to avoid changes in training, I don't think this is necessary such a bad thing. There are huge advantages for airlines in having a common type rating and common training across a family of aircraft. Considering Airbus does exactly this, there is no reason why Boeing should not also do it.

The line that Boeing crossed, IMO, is that the implementation of MCAS seems to be fundamentally flawed and it also seems to not be consistent with the philosophy of maintaining a single type rating. If MCAS was implemented properly and also consistently with the preservation of the same flight characteristics, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

It's going to be really "interesting" to hear about the DOJ / FBI investigation into the certification process. If Boeing engineers assigned to the FAA did not carry out their roles responsibly (as appears to be the case), there will be hell to pay.
canadiancow and 24left like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
It's going to be really "interesting" to hear about the DOJ / FBI investigation into the certification process. If Boeing engineers assigned to the FAA did not carry out their roles responsibly (as appears to be the case), there will be hell to pay.
Back in the late 90s I remember attending a week long systems engineering course in Seattle that had people from a mix of industries. Boeing was well represented, including engineers where were Boeing employees but attached to the regulator on specific projects. This criticism of the process existed back then. These were engineers that were involved with the NG program employees by Boeing but attached to the FAA doing some of the oversight. I am not surprised the criticism still exists today it existed back then. The current administration in the US would probably be supportive of the current system is the alternative was increasing the US government head count.
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:54 am
Formerly known as tireman77

From AP: The company [Boeing] is tweaking the system designed to prevent an aerodynamic stall if sensors detect that the plane’s nose is pointed too high. After the update, the system will rely on data from more than one sensor before it automatically pushes the plane’s nose lower. The system won’t repeatedly push the nose down, and it will reduce the magnitude of the change.

Boeing said it will pay to train airline pilots.

Sounds like a post from a guy a while back saying they would provide a "Software Update" and follow up with more training.

Personal editorial note (Edit): AC pilots received this training a few days after the Lion Air incident....

Looks like he was onto something. Just sayin'...

Last edited by PLeblond; Mar 24, 2019 at 8:01 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Back in the late 90s I remember attending a week long systems engineering course in Seattle that had people from a mix of industries. Boeing was well represented, including engineers where were Boeing employees but attached to the regulator on specific projects. This criticism of the process existed back then. These were engineers that were involved with the NG program employees by Boeing but attached to the FAA doing some of the oversight. I am not surprised the criticism still exists today it existed back then. The current administration in the US would probably be supportive of the current system is the alternative was increasing the US government head count.
As a P.Eng., the idea of being seconded from an aircraft manufacturer to the FAA makes my skin crawl. This would be an exceedingly difficult position to be put in and it seems to be a conflict of interest, unless the engineer is given a clear and absolute mandate by the employer to act solely in the interest of the FAA. Maybe in a perfect world this would work...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
As a P.Eng., the idea of being seconded from an aircraft manufacturer to the FAA makes my skin crawl. This would be an exceedingly difficult position to be put in and it seems to be a conflict of interest, unless the engineer is given a clear and absolute mandate by the employer to act solely in the interest of the FAA. Maybe in a perfect world this would work...
I don't think it's all that difficult. An ethical engineer should be able to call it based on the data, regardless of which "side" they're on. If the product requirements are in conflict with regulatory requirements, than any engineer working for either the company or the regulator should be able to point out the conflict. I'm an engineer in a similarly regulated industry, and when someone points out such a conflict we stop and we address it. The only issue I see is if the company pressures employees to overlook things, in which case there is a very serious problem in the company culture.
bimmerdriver and AltaBound like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Aviation and aerospace, is an obsessively pedantic industry. (for the record, one that my brain is not tuned to be in).

Boeing here seems to have forgotten generations of industry norms. They should be held to that standard, not the reboot and see what happens standard.
I'm not sure they forgot generations of norms. I think Boeing, under pressure to get the plane out and to not require new type certification for 737 NG pilots, engineered a system (MCAS) that either did not have a proper FMEA done or that one was done but the criticality of the results was suppressed by someone in the management chain. That it likely was a contributing factor to 300+ lives lost is tragic, but if anything the industry learns well from failures.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 25, 2019 at 5:10 am Reason: off topic
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
I don't think it's all that difficult. An ethical engineer should be able to call it based on the data, regardless of which "side" they're on. If the product requirements are in conflict with regulatory requirements, than any engineer working for either the company or the regulator should be able to point out the conflict. I'm an engineer in a similarly regulated industry, and when someone points out such a conflict we stop and we address it. The only issue I see is if the company pressures employees to overlook things, in which case there is a very serious problem in the company culture.
Completely agree with what you wrote. For me, being caught between professional / ethical responsibility while under pressure from a company with "cultural issues" as appears to be the case here is not a place I would want to be, particularly when what's at stake personally is a likely very interesting career that took years to develop.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
They have this system of delegated authority in the aviation industry. Other industries may do similar things.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Regular PAX? I don't know.

FFers? Soon as they hear "...well there's upgrade space on the 7M8..."
Not this one. I have no desire to ever set foot on one again, and I'm definitely a VFF.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
back to CZAMflier - perhaps I'll wait for more than a year, but once the type is back in the air, I guess Boeing will be keen to deliver the backlog - I wonder where they will store them once paine is full!!

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 25, 2019 at 3:12 pm Reason: off topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.