Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
back to CZAMflier - perhaps I'll wait for more than a year, but once the type is back in the air, I guess Boeing will be keen to deliver the backlog - I wonder where they will store them once paine is full!!
The 737MAx aircraft are built in Renton WA. Currently they are parking some new build at Everett / Paine

BTW, this is an awesome panorama phot (click to enlarge) of aircraft on the Everrett flight line plus some MAX birds because...

http://www.paineairport.com/images/fl20190322.jpg

And this is from Boeing at Renton where you can often see Air Canada MAX birds waiting around

https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris

EDIT TO ADD:

Last edited by 24left; Mar 25, 2019 at 3:26 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
The 737MAx aircraft...Currently they are parking some new build at Everett / Paine
They'll be rapidly running out of space there, if they haven't done so already. I believe a half-dozen undelivered Max are stored at Everett (PAE) at present, but the ramp is full of the new-build widebodies and the usual overflow space along Runway 29 is occupied by the USAF's scandal-plagued 767 refuelling tankers. When the 787s were having their teething problems, they used the pad adjacent to the Future of Flight (Boeing tour) building on the west side of the field, but that has since been converted to Dreamlifter parking. Renton (RNT) and Boeing Field (BFI) are generally filled with planes undergoing various post-assembly outfitting, so those stalls will need to be left open for planes emerging from the assembly line.

If the Max grounding continues and Boeing keeps cranking out the new planes, they may have to use some spacious airfields further afield (Moses Lake - MWH - is an obvious candidate).

Writing the above made me reflect:

737 Max: design flaws, omissions and certification issues suspected causes of early crashes.
KC-767: USAF contract shenanigans led to resignation of CEO and jail for the CFO and others.
787: spontaneous battery fire troubles in its early history and plagued by delays; program has yet to be profitable.

The Boeing reputation certainly ain't what it used to be.
tcook052 and Fiordland like this.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Mar 25, 2019 at 5:22 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
They'll be rapidly running out of space there, if they haven't done so already. I believe a
If the Max grounding continues and Boeing keeps cranking out the new planes, they may have to use some spacious airfields further afield (Moses Lake - MWH - is an obvious candidate).
Obvious? Hardly.....except for the myopic, maybe.

Plenty of space at VCV.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Would an assembly line shut down happen if the MAX grounding becomes something longer term?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:25 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
Would an assembly line shut down happen if the MAX grounding becomes something longer term?
I would think Yes. The question is when?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Obvious? Hardly.....except for the myopic, maybe.

Plenty of space at VCV.
And perhaps more appropriate: they can join the other types in the desert, awaiting the demolisher's claw.

What do you mean about the myopic? Grant Co airport is close to Seattle, is dry, contains oodles of room and has long been used by Boeing for testing and storage use. What about it seems to cause doubt?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Doubtful.

SoCal has a lot of dessert space for storage. Supply chain orders are made more than 12 months in advance for most components, so there will be a pieces going to the assembly lines for the next 12 months at a minimum.
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:28 pm

I would have to assume so. But that would be a very painful internal decision and the inertia required to re-start would be great. What a devastating blow to the area economy that would be, not to mention all the upstream effects on suppliers around the world.
5mm likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
The order backlog is huge; they could continue cranking out planes for several years, even without a single new order. As long as they can find storage, I don't see the production line pausing.

Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
The order backlog is huge
Will be interesting to see how far the 2019 order bar climbs, or will it remain at 7?
canopus27 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Will be interesting to see how far the 2019 order bar climbs, or will it remain at 7?
Or down?
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Haha. Yes, I'm guessing 2019 orders will be negative. But, not -5000, so the production line will keep busy for a while
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by Simon
Not this one. I have no desire to ever set foot on one again, and I'm definitely a VFF.
I am also a VFF. Aside from not trusting this plane, it is very uncomfortable even in J.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
As a P.Eng., the idea of being seconded from an aircraft manufacturer to the FAA makes my skin crawl. This would be an exceedingly difficult position to be put in and it seems to be a conflict of interest, unless the engineer is given a clear and absolute mandate by the employer to act solely in the interest of the FAA. Maybe in a perfect world this would work...
Imagine banks, insurance, or pharmaceutical companies contracting out staff to help regulators regulate them .
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:15 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Imagine banks, insurance, or pharmaceutical companies contracting out staff to help regulators regulate them .
I get the leap you are trying to make here, but given past events, I'm not sure those industries are exactly poster children for effective regulation and/or compliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.