Wiki Posts
Search

A New Gate Louse Low...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by mkjr
now you just need to accept that some people don't agree with you. i don't...move on...giving on an "acorn" in private business in hopes that it might result in preferntial treatment is NOT bribery IMO....
In my opinion, I think that that would fall under "bribery" as the definition is not limited to suitcases of cash exchanged for an election win. I was just in Vegas and we booked to see Penn and Teller. Are seats were OK, but I slipped the usher a $20 to find us better seats. That, was bribery. Not a tip. A tip would imply thanks for services rendered.

But, the TimBits I provided, regardless of optics, were not a bribe as there was zero expectation of preferential treatment. I was just being nice - although many of you disagree with me.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
No different than the ACElite (35K by her tag) lady last fall who insisted she could board a UA flight with UA GS/1K/F passengers when called because she was STARGold. Pushing her way to the front of the line she boarded ahead of me (holding my F seat boarding pass and a 1K at the time). On the plane she kept walking...all the way to the back, didn't even have an E+ seat.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lowside67
I'm amazed this made it through this entire thread without comment... despite the lack of anything Timbits related in your post, I feel compelled to point out that being apologetic about blatantly disregarding the rules because you want something does take a bit away from the apology... With all due respect (which there seems to be a lack of in this thread), you aren't any better than anybody else who would like to be sitting but hasn't invested in earning status or buying the privilege to do so ahead of others. I hope the gate agent turns you around next time (best case scenario since it is unlikely they will publicly mock you for either being ignorant or indifferent).

Mark (who would also love to sit down ahead of everybody else but had to wait his turn until he earned a status that entitled him to do otherwise)
^1

I really don't want to see this thread continue, just have to comment that I am amazed that you and I are the only two to comment on the self-admitted gate louse.

There is simply no justification for ignoring the rules especially whilst complaining about families with children and old people taking so long to board. This to me was the worst part of the post. The self entitlement from someone who didn't earn status at the expense of anyone that needs assistance in boarding is rather disturbing. Consider that the poster didn't say "I don't want to wait behind BG1 to board". He didn't want to wait behind people that board before BG1! Is it really that important for anyone to get to their seat? It's not going to make the door close and the plane lift off any earlier. At its root is an amazing lack of respect for other people.

Amazing!

Last edited by USHPNWDLUA; Sep 9, 2013 at 5:38 pm Reason: Darn spellcheck
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
I was under the impression that ever since the eUpgrade scheme was brought in, GAs have very little say over who gets upped and who doesn't.

I have a friend whose relative is a GA, and used to be able to get an upgrade anytime that GA was on duty, within reason. I have been told that's not the case anymore, GA can only upgrade those who are approved by the system.

I suppose a truly nefarious agent could tear up upgraded boarding passes until either our would-be Timbit Provacateur gets a seat, or until the waitlist is completely gone, and give out an OpUp. But that's quite the gamble to be made for a little pack of deep-fried dough, given how easy it would be to track that subterfuge back to the GA in question.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
I was under the impression that ever since the eUpgrade scheme was brought in, GAs have very little say over who gets upped and who doesn't.

I have a friend whose relative is a GA, and used to be able to get an upgrade anytime that GA was on duty, within reason. I have been told that's not the case anymore, GA can only upgrade those who are approved by the system.

I suppose a truly nefarious agent could tear up upgraded boarding passes until either our would-be Timbit Provacateur gets a seat, or until the waitlist is completely gone, and give out an OpUp. But that's quite the gamble to be made for a little pack of deep-fried dough, given how easy it would be to track that subterfuge back to the GA in question.
There was a thread a while back about a concierge who overrode the upgrade list at the gate to upgrade an SE "because he's SE", ignoring whatever order the computer had come up with.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
...This could only be seen as an attempted bribe.
IMO this discussion illustrates a sad pettiness that seems to course through threads on this forum from time to time. I'm not sure if it has to do with the competitive "AC Elite" mentality or if it is truly a reflection of our greater society?

The sweeping dismissal of the OP's true motivations certainly seem to have more to do with some folks' own personal bias, than with some clear assessment of what exactly constitutes a bribe. In fact, to equate a box of Timbits with an obvious attempt to bribe someone with a substantial financial offering strikes me as a disingenious and, frankly, as a ludicrous comparison. Seriously, do we really think that any sitting judge would give creedence to such a claim?

One can argue the exact definition of a bribe all day, the fact remains that two examples are worlds apart in degree of culpability.

In truth, we have no way of knowing the OPs intent, yet you ridicule (in no less flattering a manner than was my comment BTW) his explanation a priori purely on the basis of your own historical motivations. No offense, but could it be that such assumptions are wrong and that, unlike your admitted gifting of chocolates to gain favours, bribery as a motivation was not the intent? That his actions were actually meant as a genuine attempt to make someone's day? A conclusion that others here also seem to have come to?

I certainly prefer to think so, as I have to hope that most members of this forum are not as petty as some here seem to want to make them out to be.

As others have commented, shouldn't we really focus on what motivates such boorish behaviour by an obviously over-entitled DYKWIA AC Elite twerp? Or, the fact that somone else here freely admits and even revels in being such a person?

Last edited by sp4294; Sep 10, 2013 at 9:09 am
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
your generation is one that differs from Dorian's as your response clearly illustrates. just don't use any of this vocabulary during a job interview or someone like Dorian might say "next"...and who knows, the world is a small place...

giving a box of chocolates you saw as a great deal at duty free on flights you take all the time and possibly see some of the same crew, no issue. gifts with no expectation of anything in return, always fine.

and please, people, bribe really should be used in the context of illegal conduct.

giving a small gift to a FA/GA to hope to get better service or preferential treatment is not illegal. ethical, well that depends on the person. bribe as one uses that term under the criminal code, not a chance.
Umm, okay, thanks for the tip... I'll watch my verbiage. I don't want to be too hip for the older crowd.

I'm not sure which "generation" you think I come from but I have been around since Diefenbaker was Prime Minister.

I hope I am never in a position to have to work for someone like Dorian. No offence to Dorian but I would have a hard time working for anyone that has such little faith in their fellow man. That kind of environment would be soul crushing.

Oh, in the spirit of sharing, here's a tip for you. You might want to capitalize the first word of each sentence before you send in your resume, otherwise, you may not even get to the interview part. Now their is a tip from my g-g-g-generation.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:46 am

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Originally Posted by sp4294
IMO this discussion illustrates a sad pettiness that seems to course through threads on this forum from time to time. I'm not sure if it has to do with the competitive "AC Elite" mentality or if it is truly a reflection of our greater society?

Let's hope it is the former and not the latter otherwise what hope is left.

The sweeping dismissal of the OP's true motivations certainly seem to have more to do with some folks' own personal bias, than with some clear assessment of what exactly constitutes a bribe. In fact, to equate a box of Timbits with an obvious attempt to bribe someone with a substantial financial offering strikes me as a disingenious and, frankly, as a ludicrous comparison. Seriously, do we really think that any sitting judge would give creedence to such a claim?

One can argue the exact definition of a bribe all day, the fact remains that two examples are worlds apart in degree of culpability.

In truth, we have no way of knowing the OPs intent, yet you ridicule (in no less flattering a manner than was my comment BTW) his explanation a priori purely on the basis of your own historical motivations. Could it be that such assumptions are wrong and that, unlike your admitted gifting of chocolates to gain favours, bribery as a motivation was not the intent? That his actions were actually meant as a genuine attempt to make someone's day? A conclusion that others here also seem to have come to?

I certainly prefer to think so, as I have to hope that most members of this forum are not as petty as some here seem to want to make them out to be.

As others have commented, shouldn't we really focus on what motivates such boorish behaviour by an obviously over-entitled DYKWIA AC Elite twerp? Or, the fact that somone else here freely admits and even revels in being such a person?
Very well said ^
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
There was a thread a while back about a concierge who overrode the upgrade list at the gate to upgrade an SE "because he's SE", ignoring whatever order the computer had come up with.
The agents/concierges actions are monitored and this person may well have had some explaining to do to a supervisor.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Binflyin
Umm, okay, thanks for the tip... I'll watch my verbiage. I don't want to be too hip for the older crowd.

I'm not sure which "generation" you think I come from but I have been around since Diefenbaker was Prime Minister.

I hope I am never in a position to have to work for someone like Dorian. No offence to Dorian but I would have a hard time working for anyone that has such little faith in their fellow man. That kind of environment would be soul crushing.

Oh, in the spirit of sharing, here's a tip for you. You might want to capitalize the first word of each sentence before you send in your resume, otherwise, you may not even get to the interview part. Now their is a tip from my g-g-g-generation.
Crazy how far you can take things....

Good for a laugh though, thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by sp4294

In truth, we have no way of knowing the OPs intent, yet you ridicule (in no less flattering a manner than was my comment BTW) his explanation a priori purely on the basis of your own historical motivations. No offense, but could it be that such assumptions are wrong and that, unlike your admitted gifting of chocolates to gain favours, bribery as a motivation was not the intent? That his actions were actually meant as a genuine attempt to make someone's day? A conclusion that others here also seem to have come to?

Could have given Timbits to:

Check-in kiosk and line attendant(s) = no potential bribe perception
Check-in agent(s) = no potential bribe perception
Lounge attendant(s) = no potential bribe perception
Lounge cleaner(s) = no potential bribe perception
Gate area cleaner(s) = no potential bribe perception
FA(s) = no potential bribe perception
Pilot(s) = no potential bribe perception
Fellow PAX = no potential bribe perception
GA when boarding = no potential bribe perception
GA pre-upgrade list clearance = potential bribe perception

So leaving the quantity out of each of the above categories and saying OP maybe bought the Timbits airside....I'll still play the odds every time and say it was an attempted bribe. To not see this would be like trusting green on a roulette wheel to come up regularly.

I actually over-trust people and their intentions....but these odds are too skewed.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Could have given Timbits to:

Check-in kiosk and line attendant(s) = no potential bribe perception
Check-in agent(s) = no potential bribe perception
Lounge attendant(s) = no potential bribe perception
Lounge cleaner(s) = no potential bribe perception
Gate area cleaner(s) = no potential bribe perception
FA(s) = no potential bribe perception
Pilot(s) = no potential bribe perception
Fellow PAX = no potential bribe perception
GA when boarding = no potential bribe perception
GA pre-upgrade list clearance = potential bribe perception

So leaving the quantity out of each of the above categories and saying OP maybe bought the Timbits airside....I'll still play the odds every time and say it was an attempted bribe. To not see this would be like trusting green on a roulette wheel to come up regularly.

I actually over-trust people and their intentions....but these odds are too skewed.
LOL. All I can do at this point is laugh. I think that using 1.99 pack of timbits as a bribe would seriously call into question my intelligence level. Maybe I forgot to mention is was only the 10 pack. Does that help my case for it not being a bribe?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by danapop
LOL. All I can do at this point is laugh. I think that using 1.99 pack of timbits as a bribe would seriously call into question my intelligence level. Maybe I forgot to mention is was only the 10 pack. Does that help my case for it not being a bribe?
This reminds me of the time I offered the gate agent in Caracas $500 for an upgrade and he said no!!! - now that's a bribe
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by danapop
FINE. It helps your case by 62.5%. Don't expect it to next time!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
I actually over-trust people and their intentions.....
Ummm... whuuut? Did I miss something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.