Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A New Gate Louse Low...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:22 am

You weren't kidding "a new gate louse low"... Tim Bits... really?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Jumping to conclusions(he had old tags) and name calling(louse) is a popular pastime here.
Maybe you missed the "He said he is former elite" part of the OP.

Originally Posted by imverge
I've always wondered about this. Personally, I've never seen any GA or SD or FA get a gift from a pax. I've never done it myself. I think it's a nice gesture, of course, but I don't typically reward people who are just doing their jobs with gifts. My dentist, financial advisor, mechanic, etc are all people I love dealing with, but I've never given them any gifts. Their excellent service is rewarded by my continued business and my generally cheerful demeanour

For those gift-givers among us: does it actually help you? Are these gift-receivers more likely to go out of their way for you? Get you that upgrade? Bend the rules for you? I'm genuinely curious. I'd go from being a non-louse to a louse if it helped!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
When I boarded my AC redeye home from the west cost Thursday the woman in front of me (who was priority boarding, so I guess she had status...) gave the female SD a box of chocolates as she boarded.

I've heard of that kind of thing on holidays and such, but this was just a random Thursday in September.
Still happens at random times. I've done it a few times as have a number of others...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...k-v-2-0-a.html
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by mromalley
^ While I would hope that GA would not cave to this kind of behaviour, I understand why the GA did.
I don't blame the GA either. I've seen similar behavior too with threats to have the GA fired if the passenger wasn't given special treatment. More than once I've given my business card to GAs and FAs with a request to have their superiors call me if the person who threaten them actually filed a complaint.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by imverge
I buy timbits pretty regularly. It had nothing to do with trying to get an upgrade cleared. Jesus - so much flack here for what I thought was a nice jesture. I guess being a self entitled elite a-hole is better. My mistake.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by danapop
I buy timbits pretty regularly. [snip] so much flack here for what I thought was a nice jesture.
I think those that would think this is a bad thing would definitely be in the minority. Its a great gesture in my opinion, and I have--on several occasions done this particularly because GAs and FAs routinely (more than we see I'm sure) deal with DYKWIAs and DYKWIUTBs--getting a gift every once and a while hopefully balances things out.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by YQMer
I think those that would think this is a bad thing would definitely be in the minority. Its a great gesture in my opinion, and I have--on several occasions done this particularly because GAs and FAs routinely (more than we see I'm sure) deal with DYKWHIAs and KYKWIUTBs.
If 15 passengers on the flight all buy the GA TimBits who gets the upgrade? Nice gesture perhaps but still looks like a small way of tilting things in your favour to other people.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:41 am

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.....but I feel it's time I confess. I am a self admitted "gate louse"....I don't fly enough to earn status, but I'm also not waiting for unorganized old ladies or family with 10 carry-ons. I'm efficient, rarely even use the overhead, and just want to get to my seat. I generally wait for the "rows A-B" announcement, let 10-12 people line up, then I jump in regardless of row. You likely all hate me, but I don't really affect priority boarding!
Also, OP.....that guy sounded like a serious knob. I'm the type of person that would have made a comment to DYKWIUTB, although with people like that, logic or common sense won't penetrate.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: aeroplan 50K
By backing down, the GA not only reinforced louse's behavior, all the others who witnessed it were given a lesson in how to get what you want.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
If 15 passengers on the flight all buy the GA TimBits who gets the upgrade? Nice gesture perhaps but still looks like a small way of tilting things in your favour to other people.
15 boxes of TimBits? I'm sure this kind of thing won't go "viral" and incidents of tokens of appreciation like this are far outnumbered by dissrespectful and self-entitled acts these people encounter every day.

The mystery algorithim will continue to determine who gets the u/g I'm sure.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by YQMer
15 boxes of TimBits? I'm sure this kind of thing won't go "viral" and incidents of tokens of appreciation like this are far outnumbered by dissrespectful and self-entitled acts these people encounter every day.

The mystery algorithim will continue to determine who gets the u/g I'm sure.
I'm kind of surprised that the GA's are allowed to accept gifts from passengers to be honest.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Like I said - it had nothing to do with upgrades. Take it for what it is. And if you think the GA have any call about who gets the upgrade first or you think that timbits are going to "tip the scales" in your favour, you are seriously delusional.

Are we all that jaded on here that a nice jesture has to have an alterior motive?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by danapop
Like I said - it had nothing to do with upgrades. Take it for what it is. And if you think the GA have any call about who gets the upgrade first or you think that timbits are going to "tip the scales" in your favour, you are seriously delusional.

Are we all that jaded on here that a nice jesture has to have an alterior motive?
Perhaps but people sitting around the gate watching as somebody gifts the GA TimBits and that passenger's upgrade clears and theirs doesn't is bad optics. Only a small minority know how upgrades work and perhaps this gives out the wrong message.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:01 pm

I'm kind of surprised that the GA's are allowed to accept gifts from passengers to be honest.
To put this in perspective, this is a relatively small gesture, and--in my experience--most conflict of interest codes (if that's the concern here) that companies have allow for such things. The important thing is to ensure that gifts aren't so significant to potentially compromise the employees integrity, and it's reasonable to assume employees have a certain measure of integrity to begin with and wouldn't let a $5 gift get in the way of their employer's principles or any other rules that may impact their employment. IMHO (and in my experience)
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:15 pm

Perhaps but people sitting around the gate watching as somebody gifts the GA TimBits and that passenger's upgrade clears and theirs doesn't is bad optics. Only a small minority know how upgrades work and perhaps this gives out the wrong message.
The highly suspicious ones would, perhaps, yes. But should we all govern ourselves to accommodate those views. I think not, since if one is apt to think that this kind of gift would impair a GAs objectivity, then surely a nice smile or a flirty approach may as well. Where does it end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.