Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A New Gate Louse Low...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
I just don't see a box of Timbit, chocolates or any $5 token swaying anyone. Perhaps I walk around with rose coloured glasses and see the glass as half full but life's too short to see a conspiracy at every turn.

It sounds like maybe you lost a few contracts to people that greased the old business wheel, as it were and are still a little bitter about it.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Binflyin
I just don't see a box of Timbit, chocolates or any $5 token swaying anyone. Perhaps I walk around with rose coloured glasses and see the glass as half full but life's too short to see a conspiracy at every turn.

It sounds like maybe you lost a few contracts to people that greased the old business wheel, as it were and are still a little bitter about it.
I personally used to grease the GA's for years with chocolates when it was possible to sway them. Far from conspiracy, just OP not being forthcoming.

No, didn't lose any contracts, thanks for the concern though.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:04 am

Wow, interesting that you admit to being one who has stooped to bribery to get the advantage. It all falls into place now. You believe, that because you have used this trick in the past, everyone else must be doing it as well. By your own admission, it is no longer possible to sway the GA so what was D-Pops end game?

I was actually not showing any concern with my contract statement, simply trying to understand your perspective on this.I was thinking that you were showing righteous indignation when all along you are the one greasing the wheel. It is crystal clear now where you are coming from. No wonder you have never lost a contract...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Wow, interesting that you admit to being one who has stooped to bribery to get the advantage. It all falls into place now. You believe, that because you have used this trick in the past, everyone else must be doing it as well. By your own admission, it is no longer possible to sway the GA so what was D-Pops end game?

I was actually not showing any concern with my contract statement, simply trying to understand your perspective on this.I was thinking that you were showing righteous indignation when all along you are the one greasing the wheel. It is crystal clear now where you are coming from. No wonder you have never lost a contract...
Lol. Love anonymous internet trolls.

Yup, used to bring chocolates hoping not to use certs. I changed part way through when I got deeper in to different businesses and realized it was outright bribing and unethical.

Whether the OP was trying to grease the wheels or not, perception is a bribe and that is all that matters.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:03 am

BWAHAHAHAHA... internet troll?? I must have struck a cord. Haters gonna hate.

Its good to know you have seen the path of the the true and righteous and realize what you were doing was unethical.

I'd like to continue this but we are waaaay off topic and you are really blocking my chi dude.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: FT
BWAHAHAHAHA... internet troll?? I must have struck a cord. Haters gonna hate.

Its good to know you have seen the path of the the true and righteous and realize what you were doing was unethical.

I'd like to continue this but we are waaaay off topic and you are really blocking my chi dude.
your generation is one that differs from Dorian's as your response clearly illustrates. just don't use any of this vocabulary during a job interview or someone like Dorian might say "next"...and who knows, the world is a small place...

giving a box of chocolates you saw as a great deal at duty free on flights you take all the time and possibly see some of the same crew, no issue. gifts with no expectation of anything in return, always fine.

and please, people, bribe really should be used in the context of illegal conduct.

giving a small gift to a FA/GA to hope to get better service or preferential treatment is not illegal. ethical, well that depends on the person. bribe as one uses that term under the criminal code, not a chance.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
I have to say danapop, I was with you from the beginning. I had no initial concern about what you wrote or that you gave a small gift to the GA. I thought that was nice, and even made a mental note that I could do the same- I tend to recognize the same FAs on flights home from Asia, and when the service is good, I want them to know that I'm not just going to thank them on a survey form, but I really mean it.

But then.... after really only one person made any comment on the fact that you gave a small gift to the GA, you seemingly reacted so sharply in this post (emphasis mine):

....that you convinced me that there was more to the story. That doesn't mean to me that you did this for the wrong reasons, but this reaction is likely what opened you to such criticism. I wonder if this were the case for other FTers?

But seriously, I do appreciate the idea that you've shared, and will think about ways to employ it safely.

(BTW, I do think it rather odd that after your post, you caught all the flack and the "self-admitted" gate louse got nothin'!)

Best,
OK. I can perhaps see how that might have been a bit of an overreaction, but to be honest, I was very surprised by the negativity of a small gesture of tim bits. I don't need to re-hash my position, but it was really in shock by the response. (And there was more than one before I first replied).

Hindsight is always 20/20 and the TimBits were irrelevant to my story about the DYKWIUTB - so I should not have even mentioned them. But I was just recounting my day at YYZ.

Lastly, if it was a bride - do you think that I would post in on here to be lambasted the way that it was? I can assure you all my intentions are pure - just like the countless times I provided these "Death Balls" in the past. It had nothing to do with the upgrade. In fact, if you take a look at my first post, J=3 and the agent said there was a very good chance it would clear. In fact, I checked with the agent in the lounge and was told I was at the top of the waitlist. The plane left with two empty J seats, so I was the only one on the list.

I will take responsibility here for perhaps over reacting a wee bit and I will take responsibility that the TimBits were irrelevant and should have been omitted from the story. But, I will absolutely 100% NOT apologize for my actions as I know that my intentions were pure, I was trying to bring a smile to someones face and after the Agents dealt with DYKWIUTB, I can only hope that the timbits were a symbol that not all flyers are tools like he was.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I still can't get over the attitude of the DYKWIUTB idiot. I feel for the GAs in that situation and he obviously knows that causing a scene will likely let them slide on enforcement since everyone would be watching. I would deny boarding to him personally and let him schlep over the Terminal 3 and see how that goes.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"not all flyers are tools like he was."

Hey I think we can all be tools and unethical given the moment despite the best of our intentions (me included).

It is important to step back, take a breath and think about what we are doing in any situation. That makes flying and serving us more enjoyable for all concerned.

Good discussion amongst all the other stuff here.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
and please, people, bribe really should be used in the context of illegal conduct.

giving a small gift to a FA/GA to hope to get better service or preferential treatment is not illegal. ethical, well that depends on the person. bribe as one uses that term under the criminal code, not a chance.
All wrong.

Bribe is not an exclusively legal term or concept.

The Criminal Code deals explicitly with limited classes of briberies - those of judicial officers or officers in public administration, bribery in the private sphere remains bribery, simply not of those classes regulated by the Criminal Code.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Death Balls...

IBTL
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by markandrew
All wrong.

Bribe is not an exclusively legal term or concept.

The Criminal Code deals explicitly with limited classes of briberies - those of judicial officers or officers in public administration, bribery in the private sphere remains bribery, simply not of those classes regulated by the Criminal Code.
i am affraid you are one of the many that use this term of art too broadly. but you are welcome to do as you wish. you could then have to call everything a bribe where even you gave an acorn to possibly secure any benefit.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
i am affraid you are one of the many that use this term of art too broadly. but you are welcome to do as you wish. you could then have to call everything a bribe where even you gave an acorn to possibly secure any benefit.
I am afraid you are wrong. Reference the thread on gifting, look up the definition of bribery and note it is not limited to public administration, and note the distinction from incentive.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by markandrew
I am afraid you are wrong. Reference the thread on gifting, look up the definition of bribery and note it is not limited to public administration, and note the distinction from incentive.
now you just need to accept that some people don't agree with you. i don't...move on...giving on an "acorn" in private business in hopes that it might result in preferntial treatment is NOT bribery IMO....
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:58 pm

Per my last training session by legal dept, a gift that results in benefit is bribe and not allowed public or private

Work for a > $20 billion multinational, those are the rules and definitions world wide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.