Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A New Gate Louse Low...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by sp4294
Good grief! Only in this forum would you get chastized for giving someone Tim Bits...
Incredible, isn't it? Some FTers seem to be pretty quick to assign motivations behind actions of people they don't even know. Is all this flying making us jaded perhaps?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Hey d-pop! I've got your back. It's so typical of this community to lose sight of the big picture and dive into the analytics of your post. Don't sweat it. I got your message, appreciate the story and admire your generosity.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
Hey d-pop! I've got your back. It's so typical of this community to lose sight of the big picture and dive into the analytics of your post. Don't sweat it. I got your message, appreciate the story and admire your generosity.
You're confusing generosity with an attempted bribe.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by Dorian
Lol. Yup you figured me out. Except bribe implies I expect some special treatment in return. If I really wanted to ensure I got me eup (which I did and there was 2 empty j seats upon departure) I would have slipped one if them a c-note. Not sugary death balls as they have been called.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by danapop
Quote:

Lol. Yup you figured me out. Except bribe implies I expect some special treatment in return. If I really wanted to ensure I got me eup (which I did and there was 2 empty j seats upon departure) I would have slipped one if them a c-note. Not sugary death balls as they have been called.
Say that all you want, it isn't believable.

Why not give them to anyone else? Why the only person who has gate control of upgrades?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Say that all you want, it isn't believable.

Why not give them to anyone else? Why the only person who has gate control of upgrades?
Like I said, I do this on a regular basis as a kind gesture. It doesnt matter if I have a eUp requesnt in or not. I have done it if I have pre-cleared upgrade, i have done it without requesting an upgrade.

Some people on here need to spend some more time on the ground because I think your delusions are due to a lack of oxygen...

Be snyd, be cynical, be rude, be ignorant, be agressive, be whatever you want to be but I can sleep with a clear head because I know I did a gesture of kindness and i am especially glad I did given the A$$hole Mr. DYKWIUTB the GA had to deal with after. Maybe, just maybe, it put a smile on the GA face and made there day a wee bit better. Maybe not. But at least I tried and I am not an eliest jerk who treats everyone the come in contact with like a pile of trash.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Well I believe the OP, and like I said in the other thread, it doesn't really matter what all of us think of it anyway--it only really matters to the two people involved in the transaction.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
You had me until....

Like I said, I do this on a regular basis as a kind gesture. It doesnt matter if I have a eUp requesnt in or not. I have done it if I have pre-cleared upgrade, i have done it without requesting an upgrade. [Snip...]
I have to say danapop, I was with you from the beginning. I had no initial concern about what you wrote or that you gave a small gift to the GA. I thought that was nice, and even made a mental note that I could do the same- I tend to recognize the same FAs on flights home from Asia, and when the service is good, I want them to know that I'm not just going to thank them on a survey form, but I really mean it.

But then.... after really only one person made any comment on the fact that you gave a small gift to the GA, you seemingly reacted so sharply in this post (emphasis mine):
I buy timbits pretty regularly. It had nothing to do with trying to get an upgrade cleared. Jesus - so much flack here for what I thought was a nice jesture. I guess being a self entitled elite a-hole is better. My mistake.
....that you convinced me that there was more to the story. That doesn't mean to me that you did this for the wrong reasons, but this reaction is likely what opened you to such criticism. I wonder if this were the case for other FTers?

But seriously, I do appreciate the idea that you've shared, and will think about ways to employ it safely.

(BTW, I do think it rather odd that after your post, you caught all the flack and the "self-admitted" gate louse got nothin'!)

Best,

Last edited by USHPNWDLUA; Sep 8, 2013 at 8:39 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Quote:

Like I said, I do this on a regular basis as a kind gesture. It doesnt matter if I have a eUp requesnt in or not. I have done it if I have pre-cleared upgrade, i have done it without requesting an upgrade. [Snip...]

I have to say danapop, I was with you from the beginning. I had no initial concern about what you wrote or that you gave a small gift to the GA. I thought that was nice, and even made a mental note that I could do the same- I tend to recognize the same FAs on flights home from Asia, and when the service is good, I want them to know that I'm not just going to thank them on a survey form, but I really mean it.

But then.... after really only one person made any comment on the fact that you gave a small gift to the GA, you seemingly reacted so sharply in this post (emphasis mine):

Quote:

I buy timbits pretty regularly. It had nothing to do with trying to get an upgrade cleared. Jesus - so much flack here for what I thought was a nice jesture. I guess being a self entitled elite a-hole is better. My mistake.

....that you convinced me that there was more to the story. That doesn't mean to me that you did this for the wrong reasons, but this reaction is likely what opened you to such criticism. I wonder if this were the case for other FTers?

But seriously, I do appreciate the idea that you've shared, and will think about ways to employ it safely.

(BTW, I do think it rather odd that after your post, you caught all the flack and the "self-admitted" gate louse got nothin'!)

Best,
It was what pushed me to know the OP was presenting a bribe. OP can call it what they want and spout off about all these other times....blah blah. BRIBE.

I pulled out of Namibia because the 'gifts' I had to give to get anything going. Same thing here but on a micro scale.

OP doesn't have to admit it.....we know what is going on.....greasing GA in hopes that if it is close they get the upgrade.

This ain't rocket science.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:38 pm

Wow. That has to be the most jaded response I've seen in along time. The man gave a GA some TimBits! Call the Mounties...

When you give a gift or do a kind act, do you automatically expect one in return?

Have you ever heard of something called: g-e-n-e-r-o-s-i-t-y? or perhaps: a-c-t-o-f-k-i-n-d-n-e-s-s?

Are you seriously suggesting he will gain favours with a box of Tim Bits? Am I the only one who finds that completely idiotic?

You must be a lonely individual with that attitude, or work in banking.

It was what pushed me to know the OP was presenting a bribe. OP can call it what they want and spout off about all these other times....blah blah. BRIBE.

I pulled out of Namibia because the 'gifts' I had to give to get anything going. Same thing here but on a micro scale.

OP doesn't have to admit it.....we know what is going on.....greasing GA in hopes that if it is close they get the upgrade.

This ain't rocket science.

Last edited by sp4294; Sep 8, 2013 at 11:40 pm
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by mtp1980_fly
Sorry to hi-jack the thread.....but I feel it's time I confess. I am a self admitted "gate louse"....I don't fly enough to earn status, but I'm also not waiting for unorganized old ladies or family with 10 carry-ons. I'm efficient, rarely even use the overhead, and just want to get to my seat. I generally wait for the "rows A-B" announcement, let 10-12 people line up, then I jump in regardless of row. You likely all hate me, but I don't really affect priority boarding!
I'm amazed this made it through this entire thread without comment... despite the lack of anything Timbits related in your post, I feel compelled to point out that being apologetic about blatantly disregarding the rules because you want something does take a bit away from the apology... With all due respect (which there seems to be a lack of in this thread), you aren't any better than anybody else who would like to be sitting but hasn't invested in earning status or buying the privilege to do so ahead of others. I hope the gate agent turns you around next time (best case scenario since it is unlikely they will publicly mock you for either being ignorant or indifferent).

Mark (who would also love to sit down ahead of everybody else but had to wait his turn until he earned a status that entitled him to do otherwise)
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by sp4294
Wow. That has to be the most jaded response I've seen in along time. The man gave a GA some TimBits! Call the Mounties...

When you give a gift or do a kind act, do you automatically expect one in return?

Have you ever heard of something called: g-e-n-e-r-o-s-i-t-y? or perhaps: a-c-t-o-f-k-i-n-d-n-e-s-s?

Are you seriously suggesting he will gain favours with a box of Tim Bits? Am I the only one who finds that completely idiotic?

You must be a lonely individual with that attitude, or work in banking.
This has been discussed for a decade on FT...how to get the upgrade in front of others. The most popular 'gift with no intention' has been chocolates from what I recall.

Don't forget, no personal attacks on FT. I'm far from lonely and certainly not in banking.

Look, if OP had said they gave Timbits to the lounge cleaners, other PAX, FA's, fine. Instead the OP gave them to literally the only person who could upgrade them at that point in time. This could only be seen as an attempted bribe.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Okay, so my take away in all this is...

If I want to get an upgrade ahead of all the other people on the wait list, all I have to do is slide a box of Timbits or chocolates to the GA and I rise to the top of the list. Do people honestly think this works? So, if there was 1 seat and 2 people vying for it, do the chocolates trump the timbits or vice versa? Which is the sure fire winner?

I would think the DYKWIA or DYKWIUTB would have the inside track because obviously the GA buckles under that kind of pressure. Those "little balls of doughy death" don't stand a chance.

On the other hand, when there are 3 seats available and only 1 person vying for the upgrade and said person is an E75, could it be they just get the seat? Didn't see that one coming... I this case, those nasty Timbits were a wasted effort by those low down conniving, contriving, bribing sons of guns...

Then again, is it even remotely and I mean waaaaay out there that D-Pop was just trying to be a nice guy? You know, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I for one applaud D-Pops effort and hope he will not let all the negativity dissuade him from continuing his good will.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Binflyin
Okay, so my take away in all this is...

If I want to get an upgrade ahead of all the other people on the wait list, all I have to do is slide a box of Timbits or chocolates to the GA and I rise to the top of the list. Do people honestly think this works? So, if there was 1 seat and 2 people vying for it, do the chocolates trump the timbits or vice versa? Which is the sure fire winner?

I would think the DYKWIA or DYKWIUTB would have the inside track because obviously the GA buckles under that kind of pressure. Those "little balls of doughy death" don't stand a chance.

On the other hand, when there are 3 seats available and only 1 person vying for the upgrade and said person is an E75, could it be they just get the seat? Didn't see that one coming... I this case, those nasty Timbits were a wasted effort by those low down conniving, contriving, bribing sons of guns...

Then again, is it even remotely and I mean waaaaay out there that D-Pop was just trying to be a nice guy? You know, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I for one applaud D-Pops effort and hope he will not let all the negativity dissuade him from continuing his good will.

This is what used to happen prior to the locked down e-upgrade world.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:19 am

Let us say a given e-up is 'worth' $500 and I happen to slip the person in control of said upgrade $5 worth of Timbits (whether good intentioned or not).

Now lets say a small oil concession has a value of $500,000 and I happen to stop by the Minister's house with a steel Rolex, you know, cause I'm a nice guy and feeling generous and upbeat.

In the latter case, because the person receiving the gift is part of a gov't, I'm subject to prosecution under CFPOA (FCPA in the USA). Just a felony, that is all.

Sure it is an extreme example and the GA isn't part of the gov't....but same idea.

NOW, if the OP had stopped by the gate to give the Timbits to the GA thanking them for something in the past, like help during IRROPS, good on OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.