A New Gate Louse Low...

Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
A New Gate Louse Low...

So, at YYZ this afternoon heading home to YEG. I was booked on AC117 but J=0 when I got to the airport. (I was early as my afternoon meeting got cancelled). So, I paid the change fee and moved to AC127 two hours earlier. J=3 and the agent said she was pretty sure my eUp would clear.

Got to the gate and brought timbits for the gate crew. I was stuck in Y seat 27E and asked the agent if I didn't clear, I would love a window or aisle if available and he said no prob gave me 24F and 24E was currently vacant - bonus. So now, I could careless if the eup cleared.

Just about to board and a gentlemen was standing in the priority lane to board and I happened to notice is 2010 Elite tag with no altitude tag anywhere. My name was called, upgrade cleared and boarding was just starting so I hopped in line. Mr. 2010 Elite was first and handed his BP and ID to the agent who was very polite and said this is just a priority boarding call and we would begin general boarding in a few moments. He said he is former elite and would like to board and I quote here "I want bin space." She said he would need to wait in line to board when his row was called. He argued for a good 3 minutes and finally the agent just allowed him to board to get the process moving. He was yelling that he was elite once and should be able to board whenever, this is why everyone love westjet, etc etc. It was quite the spectacle.

Honestly, a new low...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Quite unsure what would perturb me more as a gate agent, dealing with a Do You Know Who I Used To Be or being offered fried sugared dough by someone waiting on an upgrade. I certainly expect they are at least trained to handle the former situation.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
That's a great idea. Several other posters have written that they've given small thank you gifts as well. I suppose I should carry some 3-pack of Rochers or $5.00 Tim Cards from now on and give them to agents who are facing a tough situation and who could use a pick me up.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
DYKWIUTB????

Do You Know Who I Used To Be??

LOL!!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
what a complete douche! the only thing worse than a DYKWIA is a DYKWIUTB!! unfortunately I deal with a lot of these muppets in my work as well when I get confronted with, "i'm a retired law enforcement" or "i'm a retired armed forces" etc and I then have to politely (but not always) remind them that there is a distinct aspect to their claim being that they are retired and therefore no longer in that position, therefore they can park their attitude and get out of my face and let me do my job.

the fact that the GA let this clown board is unacceptable IMO as it simply justifies his poor behaviour and it does nothing to curb it from happening again in the future. there is a fine line between customer service and sticking to the script which I don't think the GA did in this case and simply rolled over so as to avoid a confrontation which is clearly what the louse wanted, and achieved.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Neil791

the fact that the GA let this clown board is unacceptable IMO as it simply justifies his poor behaviour and it does nothing to curb it from happening again in the future. there is a fine line between customer service and sticking to the script which I don't think the GA did in this case and simply rolled over so as to avoid a confrontation which is clearly what the louse wanted, and achieved.

I am sure his behaviour is already ingrained, and if he behaves that way waiting to board a plane, imagine what a world class jerk he is in the office or at home. Sounds like a typical bully-boy to me.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
I am sure his behaviour is already ingrained, and if he behaves that way waiting to board a plane, imagine what a world class jerk he is in the office or at home. Sounds like a typical bully-boy to me.
^

very much a spoiled child type mentality. although I don't always condone violence, these are the type of people who I feel need to be taken aside and had some sense slapped into them if for no other reason than to drum home the point that just because they huff & puff it doesn't mean they're the big, bad wolf!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: AC*E50K
"Now you're just somebody that I used to know...."

l.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by markandrew
Quite unsure what would perturb me more as a gate agent, dealing with a Do You Know Who I Used To Be or being offered fried sugared dough by someone waiting on an upgrade. I certainly expect they are at least trained to handle the former situation.
When I boarded my AC redeye home from the west cost Thursday the woman in front of me (who was priority boarding, so I guess she had status...) gave the female SD a box of chocolates as she boarded.

I've heard of that kind of thing on holidays and such, but this was just a random Thursday in September.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
When I boarded my AC redeye home from the west cost Thursday the woman in front of me (who was priority boarding, so I guess she had status...) gave the female SD a box of chocolates as she boarded.

I've heard of that kind of thing on holidays and such, but this was just a random Thursday in September.
I need to remember to do that sometime.

Not sure why it matters the SD was female though
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A regular poster here?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:47 am

^ While I would hope that GA would not cave to this kind of behaviour, I understand why the GA did.

I've given LCBO and Tim Hortons & restaurant GC's, to GA's in the small airports I fly in and out of. They have protected me on flights/rebooked me/pulled a rabbit out of the hat on many many occasions over the years.

It's a small way for me to say thank you and I appreciate you.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:51 am

Too funny. Sucks he won though. He'll just pull it again next time.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Jumping to conclusions(he had old tags) and name calling(louse) is a popular pastime here.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:15 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Jumping to conclusions(he had old tags) and name calling(louse) is a popular pastime here.
How is this jumping to conclusions?

"He said he is former elite and would like to board and I quote here "I want bin space."

Sounds pretty clear this guy has an inflated sense of entitlement, earning the DYKWIUTB?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.