Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC SE
I flew rouge this week on the YQM-YYZ route that had transferred from Jazz to rouge (it's been a mix of Q400's and CR9's). It doesn't seem like they've figured out catering for the route yet, as the J service was economy with a wider seat:
  • No water bottles or pre-departure water offered, even though we had plenty of time on the ground waiting to load bags. Even if they didn't cater water bottles, there was plenty of time to offer water in a cup.
  • No meals, despite the app showing a breakfast flight
  • No menus, no blankets, no hot towel
  • The FA offered a pack of almonds or cashews with a drink service, and didn't mention the lack of catering proactively until passengers started to question and say "that's it?"
I wasn't expecting a lot, but they really don't have their act together with the YQM flights, as it was essentially economy drink service with a bigger seat.

Last edited by gcashin; May 2, 2019 at 6:16 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
With that block time, I'd expect an omelette
Old May 2, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
With that block time, I'd expect an omelette
Yeah, with a block time over 2 hours (and today's flight was >2.5 hours), and showing Breakfast on the app I was expecting an omelette! It seems like someone forgot to order or provide catering or business class provisioning. No hot towels either.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Was on YQT-YYZ on AC1515 on the first day of service, in J. Had hot towels, food, water bottles, etc. What it didn't have was ... room in the departures area at YQT. Between a WS flight boarding at the same time, and a larger plane (A319 on the day... though it'll be a A321 from May 2nd and later), there were probably only seats for like 50% of passengers. Also, delays, of course (EF said tow issuee ex-YYZ at 8am knocking on). Turn took around 1hr15m to deplane, groom, and board fully. Flight itself was fine in J.

EDIT: Looking at the first 2.5 days of service... every single turn around has been 30+ mins late. That is, even when the inbound arrives on time, it takes 30+ mins too long to turn it around in YQT compared to the block time. Unsure if it's the GA staff not being used to A321-size passenger loads, the passengers, or the airport being too small to line up, etc.

Last edited by D404; May 3, 2019 at 10:26 am
Old May 4, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: AC MM+
Originally Posted by gcashin
Yeah, with a block time over 2 hours (and today's flight was >2.5 hours), and showing Breakfast on the app I was expecting an omelette! It seems like someone forgot to order or provide catering or business class provisioning. No hot towels either.
Please don't tell me that's not the case.... This new Enhanced Service is being marketed in all the medias available, the airport authority walking with their heads high that they finally got Rouged! Advertising Business Class to Toronto. Great upgrade - three flight a day from 5 prior to this 'Enhanced Service'.
gcashin and D404 like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by gcashin
Curious if anyone was offered compensation? If I had paid for Premium with the expectation of regular J breakfast service, and not gotten anything (whether intended or accidental), I would be looking for comp.
D404 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by mamau
Please don't tell me that's not the case.... This new Enhanced Service is being marketed in all the medias available, the airport authority walking with their heads high that they finally got Rouged! Advertising Business Class to Toronto. Great upgrade - three flight a day from 5 prior to this 'Enhanced Service'.
The lack of provisioning was clearly an oversight or sloppiness for the initial flights, so I'd expect they'll get the normal rouge service shortly if not already. But yeah, I don't think I'd be bragging about a destination getting rouged, especially with a cut in frequency.

As a sidenote, with the larger planes, the boarding area was a complete mess. YQM seems to be sized to have a few regional jets/props and the occasional narrowbody 737/Airbus. On Thursday morning around 6 AM, there was the rouge 319, a Transat narrowbody to Orlando, a Sunwing 737 to Varadero, and a Westjet 737 to Toronto. Needless to say, the passenger area isn't built for 500-600+ pax to be departing at the same time, and was a complete mess. Most people had to stand or sit on the floor, as there weren't enough seats, and there were lineups for the washrooms extending out into the waiting area. The reduced frequency and larger planes also appears to be putting a strain on the airport facilities, as they seem more designed for a flow of regional planes throughout the day rather than a fleet of narrowbody jets leaving at the same time.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by D404
Turn took around 1hr15m to deplane, groom, and board fully. Flight itself was fine in J.

EDIT: Looking at the first 2.5 days of service... every single turn around has been 30+ mins late. That is, even when the inbound arrives on time, it takes 30+ mins too long to turn it around in YQT compared to the block time. Unsure if it's the GA staff not being used to A321-size passenger loads, the passengers, or the airport being too small to line up, etc.
I think you nailed it with your final comments. I have recently been visiting YFC regularly, and have difficulty imagining their handling twice the passenger load, with everything from arrival baggage space to checkin gates to baggage screening to security and departure areas being full even with just a DH4.
D404 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by WesternCDN

Curious if anyone was offered compensation? If I had paid for Premium with the expectation of regular J breakfast service, and not gotten anything (whether intended or accidental), I would be looking for comp.
No compensation was offered onboard or afterwards. It was a bit odd how it was handled, as the FA didn't mention it proactively, and it seems like his way of handling was "I'll pretend this is normal, until someone asks why there is no business class catering or amenities."

The cabin was booked full, and it seemed 10/12 were revenue pax, and 2 pax were obviously non-revs. The non-revs were offered extra almonds/cashews for their inconvenience, but nothing offered to the revenue customers.

I don't often write in about issues, but I did just write in to AC about this, so will see how they respond.
WesternCDN likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:40 am

The first weeks of Rouge operations were also a mess in YQB in July 2018. This station was used to handling DH4 so it took some time for the airport staff to get used to much bigger planes. They have sorted things out now.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by jasdou
The first weeks of Rouge operations were also a mess in YQB in July 2018. This station was used to handling DH4 so it took some time for the airport staff to get used to much bigger planes. They have sorted things out now.
I expect ops to get better, yes. What can't be fixed is the fact that airports like YQT and YFC aren't physically large enough for the pax load. I reckon ~50% of pax couldn't even sit down in YQT.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
It's the same in YYG. In the summer there's a rouge 319, a Westjet 738 and an AC Express Q400 that all depart back-to-back first thing in the morning. There is one (1) security lane, which opens about an hour before these departures. That airport simply wasn't built to accommodate more than 400 passengers and flight crew passing through that one-lane bottleneck in a little over an hour, so it's an absolute cluster of the highest order. Once you do get through security, there is nowhere near enough seating in the terminal, and the single coffee stand is usually completely overwhelmed within the first few minutes after security opens.

The little airport worked fine when there were more flights spread over the day using smaller aircraft. But this pattern of reducing frequency and concentrating passenger loads into one or two flights a day in aircraft that are far larger than what the terminal was designed for is a growing problem right across Canada.

CORRECTION - After posting I remembered that Q400 flight to YUL has also been upgauged to a rouge 319, so make that 500+ pax and crew all trying to squeeze through the one-lane security bottleneck more or less at once. Before they swarm a coffee stand with two employees. And compete for about 300 seats in the terminal.
D404 likes this.

Last edited by Symmetre; May 4, 2019 at 10:20 am Reason: Added info
Old May 22, 2019, 6:23 am

Yesterday I flew on C-FYXF from PHX to YYZ. I expected it to be the same as the other Rouge 321s I have flown on, but it was a significantly different layout. Note, it's not one of the new ones from WOW, but seems to have been a single aircraft acquired from Niki (and Air Berlin before that). Its layout doesn't match the seat map when you attempt to book a flight on it, doesn't match SeatGuru, and doesn't match the layout on Air Canada's "Fleet" page. For example, it has only two lavatories at the back (which leads to really long lineups), the flight attendant mid-cabin jumpseats are on the opposite side of the plane, and it has this nice mini-row at 31 BC that has just two seats and extra legroom (unlike the other Rouge 321s where the two-seat rows don't have extra legroom). The site will allow you to book seat 31A, but it doesn't actually exist.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has the story behind this aircraft and if it's really a one-off layout that hasn't been standardized (and perhaps won't be standardized).
Old May 22, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Yesterday I flew on C-FYXF from PHX to YYZ. I expected it to be the same as the other Rouge 321s I have flown on, but it was a significantly different layout. Note, it's not one of the new ones from WOW, but seems to have been a single aircraft acquired from Niki (and Air Berlin before that). Its layout doesn't match the seat map when you attempt to book a flight on it, doesn't match SeatGuru, and doesn't match the layout on Air Canada's "Fleet" page. For example, it has only two lavatories at the back (which leads to really long lineups), the flight attendant mid-cabin jumpseats are on the opposite side of the plane, and it has this nice mini-row at 31 BC that has just two seats and extra legroom (unlike the other Rouge 321s where the two-seat rows don't have extra legroom). The site will allow you to book seat 31A, but it doesn't actually exist.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has the story behind this aircraft and if it's really a one-off layout that hasn't been standardized (and perhaps won't be standardized).
This sounds different from the seat map I see on one of those all-Y Rouge A321 on which I am booked in a couple of weeks:

Yes, I am currently in 22F but I kind of worry about what will be in front of me.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by jasdou
This sounds different from the seat map I see on one of those all-Y Rouge A321 on which I am booked in a couple of weeks:

Yes, I am currently in 22F but I kind of worry about what will be in front of me.
I'd wager a void, more legroom than a long horse needs, and a rear facing crew seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.