Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aventura World MasterCard - 1st Yr Free & 15,000 Points (Sept 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aventura World MasterCard - 1st Yr Free & 15,000 Points (Sept 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
So now I log into my CIBC Rewards account and the balance is showing 0 points. AE stills does not show the transfer.
On the phone waiting for a rep now, let's see what they say.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I see on the CIBC list of cards, the Aventura World Mastercard is offered with the 15,000 bonus points.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards...l-rewards.html

Is the annual fee waived promo still on.. I assume its no longer offered?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:41 am

To what extent does the insurance on the CIBC Aventura World MasterCard apply to trips booked using Aeroplan miles? Could someone please check their policies?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by bacan
To what extent does the insurance on the CIBC Aventura World MasterCard apply to trips booked using Aeroplan miles? Could someone please check their policies?
do you already have the card or are you thinking of applying for one?

For more information you may also contact the insurer, Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada, by calling 1-866-363-3338
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:13 pm

I am thinking of applying. If CIBC could post the insurance policies online it would be much easier. I was hoping someone here might be able to fill me in, but I guess not. I'll give them a call and see how far I get.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
Originally Posted by bacan
I am thinking of applying. If CIBC could post the insurance policies online it would be much easier. I was hoping someone here might be able to fill me in, but I guess not. I'll give them a call and see how far I get.
See here: https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards...insurance.html
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:26 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by Cruban
So now I log into my CIBC Rewards account and the balance is showing 0 points. AE stills does not show the transfer.
On the phone waiting for a rep now, let's see what they say.
Did your points post? Mine tsf'd in 2 days.
In all a pretty good deal considering only having to.spend $4000 to get max value and transfer bonus.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by todd-r
In all a pretty good deal considering only having to.spend $4000 to get max value and transfer bonus.
It's spent $4k to get 10000 points since 10 000 can be transfer with no add. spend. What ransfer bonus are you talking about that is gone now I believe, Dec 12 was it.

Is there other way to transfer 6000: move it to my wife's account or is the only way to cash-in is the movies or chicken gift cards?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My understanding is that transfers can only happen with 10K point increments with this particular card.. The main reason I haven't applied for this card yet..
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:49 am

with the 1k bonus for subscribing online and the 1.5 pts for gas and groceries it's not that hard to make 4k points then transfer out the 20k

decent deal when the annual fee was waived
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by wwtsang
with the 1k bonus for subscribing online and the 1.5 pts for gas and groceries it's not that hard to make 4k points then transfer out the 20k

And if you tsf'd the 20k during the AE promo you picked up another 4k - all for free!!!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by todd-r
Yes they did. Apparently the rep screwed up when taking down my ap number so the points disappeared for some reason. They posted within 2 days and the remaining 6k in points also came back into the cibc account.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:55 pm

But with MBNA, one gets 5 % off for gas and groceries. What is better; spending $2.7 k and getting 10000 miles or $133 cash for spending and a gift card for 6000 points already in the account ($50 to Swiss Chalet for example) ? What is better? Has anyone priced AE miles. I know it depends on the destination etc and promotions, but is there a generic value for 1 AE mile ??
Old Dec 24, 2011, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
But with MBNA, one gets 5 % off for gas and groceries. What is better; spending $2.7 k and getting 10000 miles or $133 cash for spending and a gift card for 6000 points already in the account ($50 to Swiss Chalet for example) ? What is better? Has anyone priced AE miles. I know it depends on the destination etc and promotions, but is there a generic value for 1 AE mile ??
it depends on what you redeem your miles for, most on this board would agree that redeeming for gift cards is one of the worst ways to spend the miles

i myself would give each mile a value of 2 cents

not sure where you're getting the 10k miles figure, after spending 2.7k, you would get a total of 20k miles (15k signup + 1k signup bonus for cibcavetura.com), without the transfer promo a few weeks back

mbna is 5% for the first 6 months and drops to 3% afterwards, it's a good card but a minimum of 2.7k spend and a max of 4k spend for 20k AE miles (or 24k if you had enough for the promo) is a great deal when the annual fee is waived by most measurements
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:18 pm

i myself would give each mile a value of 2 cents
Thank you for this information. At CIBC the best conversion is .87 cent /point

not sure where you're getting the 10k miles figure, after spending 2.7k, you would get a total of 20k miles (15k signup + 1k signup bonus for cibcavetura.com), without the transfer promo a few weeks back

mbna is 5% for the first 6 months and drops to 3% afterwards, it's a good card but a minimum of 2.7k spend and a max of 4k spend for 20k AE miles (or 24k if you had enough for the promo) is a great deal when the annual fee is waived by most measurements

I am referring to present situation. I have 6000 CIBC points as 10000 ppoints was transferred with a bonus. Therefore I need 4000 more to be able to redeem or transfer to AE another 10000. Transfer promo is not on at this time, it was 2 weeks ago. You said that I can earn 1500 point for each $1000 spend on this card. Since I need 4000 point more to get to a level when I can convert, then I need to spend $ 2700 on this card. if I put that on 5% cash back card, I have the calculated value of $ 135. As for it dropping to 3 %, one can always get another card at 6 months again. But spending 2.7 k in 6 months should be doable for categories that earn 5% .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.