Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aventura World MasterCard - 1st Yr Free & 15,000 Points (Sept 2011)

Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:15 pm
alc
Original Poster

MOD: If this should be at another forums, please move it. I post it here as my intention is to transfer my points to AEROPLAN.

Just got this in the mail for CIBC Aventura World MasterCard promo:

- 1st Year Annual fee wavied
- 1st year Annual fee wavied on additional card
- 15,000 Bonus Aventura Points

http://www.cibccards.com/worldsept11

Apply by October 31, 2011

This come in perfect time when my AMEX Gold just about hit the 1yr mark.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:38 pm

4 Aventura Points may be converted to Aeroplan Miles at an exchange rate of 1 for 1. Points must be converted in 10,000 point increments. To convert points, your CIBC Aventura World MasterCard Card Account must be in good standing.
Based on the above you'll either need to do some charging to get another 5000 points so you can transfer 20K to Aeroplan, or blow off 5000 points.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:40 pm

And here's the T&C on the fee rebate:

6 If you are approved for an Aventura World MasterCard account through this promotion you will receive a 100% rebate on the $120 annual fee for the first year only and, if you add authorized users at the same time as you apply for your Card, a 100% rebate on the $50 authorized user annual fee for the first year only (the latter rebate does not apply to authorized users added subsequently). You must apply through any of the application channels noted on the enclosed application. If you do not qualify for the Aventura World MasterCard, but are approved for the Aventura MasterCard, you will receive a 100% rebate of the $39 Aventura MasterCard annual fee for the first year only (there is no Aventura MasterCard authorized user annual fee and so, no rebate applies to that). Rebate(s) will automatically appear on your first account statement. This offer is only available to new Aventura World MasterCard/Aventura MasterCard cardholders solicited through this promotion and cannot be combined with any other CIBC offer, including a fee waiver or rebate offer. The offer is only valid for applications received by October 31, 2011.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:24 pm
alc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by todd-r
Based on the above you'll either need to do some charging to get another 5000 points so you can transfer 20K to Aeroplan, or blow off 5000 points.
This is correct. I remember last time when I had the Aventura VISA, it required some very careful usage of the card toward the end of 1st year before I cancel. This is going to be my primary card, replacing my AMEX Gold Rewards, so I am fine to make up the 5000 points.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Great find! Will definately be applying for this next month.
Question for the AMEX Gold cardholders: If you cancel your card, is your membership reward account still active or do they close that too? In other words, do we need to transfer the MR points to AP or can we keep them in MR?

By the way, does Aventura have this promotion normally? Never really looked into it. .

Thanks,
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:01 am
alc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobloblaw007
Question for the AMEX Gold cardholders: If you cancel your card, is your membership reward account still active or do they close that too? In other words, do we need to transfer the MR points to AP or can we keep them in MR?
I have this question myself too.

By the way, does Aventura have this promotion normally? Never really looked into it.
I do not recall any promo in the recent years. Not sure when Aventura VISA first came out. I think in this case, they just want to increase the Aventura Mastercard card holders.

From an old friend who used to work at CIBC, CIBC launch Aventura when CIBC afraid to loose partnership with AEROPLAN. And they did some "so-call" detail calculation and said this Aventura is better for CIBC in terms of profit. So assuming it is still true, it is CIBC best interest to have more Aventura over AeroGold. So, hopefully they will have more Aventura promo so I can just switch between AMEX Gold Reward and this card every year
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:18 pm

Question for the AMEX Gold cardholders: If you cancel your card, is your membership reward account still active or do they close that too?
Use your MR points before you cancel the card.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Great! A CIBC cc offer that I can actually take advantage of..

Will be contemplating putting in an application.. I miss going to Tim Hortons on cc..
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:12 pm

wonder why CIBC does not promote this offer on the credit card page in cibc.com. Don't they want to make this offer visible to the general public?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bimmer_ca
wonder why CIBC does not promote this offer on the credit card page in cibc.com. Don't they want to make this offer visible to the general public?
Funny, that CIBC now offers Visa and Mastercard that earns AE points..

It would be nice to have competition ccs offering AE points.. but I think CIBC licensed some sort of exclusive arrangement..
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
The 15,000 bonus points and first year free is very attractive.

That rule about transfering to AE with every 10,000 points, makes this card very unattractive after spending $5000, to get to 20,000 points.

If short by a few hundred points to get to the next 10,000, can always go buy some gift cards. But 10,000 points, that's a bad limit.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yscleo
The 15,000 bonus points and first year free is very attractive.

That rule about transfering to AE with every 10,000 points, makes this card very unattractive after spending $5000, to get to 20,000 points.

If short by a few hundred points to get to the next 10,000, can always go buy some gift cards. But 10,000 points, that's a bad limit.
Agreed..

I wonder if this is a true terms and condition?.. As a CIBC Infinite Visa cardholder, I am not restricted in any way shape or form to the number of miles being transferred each month..

I think I may be pulling the trigger on this card, but certainly want clarification on the points transfer before pulling the trigger..
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
I got the invite in the mail today as well in a non-addressed envelope. Curious that you can't see the promo on the main CIBC page--this is a semi-targeted invite I guess (you have to live in the right neighbourhood).

I've been looking to pick up some additional Aeroplan points for a trip to Australia in 2013, so I'll apply and I'll earn another 5K with purchases (probably mostly gas, grocery and drug stores to get the 1.5 multiplier) to bring my up to the 20K points level for a transfer to Aeroplan, then cancel before the anniversary date comes up.

This is unusual for a Canadian credit card to have the first year fee waived or rebated. RBC did it with the Westjet MC and AMEX did it with the SPG AMEX (at least the first year).

Come the anniversary date, I'll see if I can switch to the Aerogold VISA and pick up the 15K points.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:54 pm

Come the anniversary date, I'll see if I can switch to the Aerogold VISA and pick up the 15K points.
CIBC doesn't allow this. They only give the points if you actually apply for the new card.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Great White North
I got the invite in the mail today as well in a non-addressed envelope. Curious that you can't see the promo on the main CIBC page--this is a semi-targeted invite I guess (you have to live in the right neighbourhood).

I've been looking to pick up some additional Aeroplan points for a trip to Australia in 2013, so I'll apply and I'll earn another 5K with purchases (probably mostly gas, grocery and drug stores to get the 1.5 multiplier) to bring my up to the 20K points level for a transfer to Aeroplan, then cancel before the anniversary date comes up.

This is unusual for a Canadian credit card to have the first year fee waived or rebated. RBC did it with the Westjet MC and AMEX did it with the SPG AMEX (at least the first year).

The Gas, Grocery and Drug Store multiplier is a good added bonus.. There wouldn't be a problem with me getting to 5K on those purchases, although I prefer to get double miles on my Amex Gold, but I'm holding the Amex Gold until it expires the first few months of next year..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.