Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aventura World MasterCard - 1st Yr Free & 15,000 Points (Sept 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aventura World MasterCard - 1st Yr Free & 15,000 Points (Sept 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

$5,000 spend maybe too much spend.. I think you get 50% or double miles more points at grocery stores, drug stores, and gas stations.. So it will be important to calculate the exact amount of points available for transfer..
For sure, until end of December, this will only serve as backup to AMEX Gold Rewards - so I will keep using that one for the 2:1 purchases until then.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
For sure, until end of December, this will only serve as backup to AMEX Gold Rewards - so I will keep using that one for the 2:1 purchases until then.
I agree to use the Amex Gold.. That's what I currently do..

But my Visa is the backup.. and the mastercard might make a nice replacement if points are transferred actual vs. 10,000 miles incremental..
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If you want to maximize Aeroplan points, you can also get an SPG Amex. 20,000 bonus points right now, and if you have a decent annual spend you should be able to get a gift card or bonus points on your renewal date.

SPG lets you transfer 1:1 to airlines and they give a 5000 bonus if you do 20,000. Coupled with Aeroplan's semi-frequent promotions that boost 25,000 to 30,000, you can transfer 20,000 starpoints to 30,000 Aeroplan miles. i.e. 1.5 Aeroplan miles per dollar spent on your SPG Amex.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yvr76
If you want to maximize Aeroplan points, you can also get an SPG Amex. 20,000 bonus points right now, and if you have a decent annual spend you should be able to get a gift card or bonus points on your renewal date.

SPG lets you transfer 1:1 to airlines and they give a 5000 bonus if you do 20,000. Coupled with Aeroplan's semi-frequent promotions that boost 25,000 to 30,000, you can transfer 20,000 starpoints to 30,000 Aeroplan miles. i.e. 1.5 Aeroplan miles per dollar spent on your SPG Amex.
Sounds pretty good if you're into SPG.. having the flexibility to transfer to airline FF points..

Do they waive the annual fee for the first year?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:00 pm

Sounds pretty good if you're into SPG.. having the flexibility to transfer to airline FF points..

Do they waive the annual fee for the first year?
No, but they do give 20,000 points right now, which is 30,000 Aeroplan miles if you wait till the next promo. This card isn't a good primary card for a couple reasons - it lacks medical coverage (that the CIBC Infinite cards have), and as an AMEX, you'll always need to carry a backup.

As usual, Canadians get somewhat shafted - the annual fee for this card is much lower in the States, with more perks.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:45 pm
Suspended

No, but they do give 20,000 points right now, which is 30,000 Aeroplan miles if you wait till the next promo. This card isn't a good primary card for a couple reasons - it lacks medical coverage (that the CIBC Infinite cards have), and as an AMEX, you'll always need to carry a backup.

As usual, Canadians get somewhat shafted - the annual fee for this card is much lower in the States, with more perks.
True.. we get less here in Canada.. but the economy is somewhat better here (at least in Alberta)..

What's the SPG annual fee?

I agree.. without the coverages, you would need a backup.. but an FTer isn't getting max points , if a couple of cards aren't going at the same time anyways..
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:55 pm

What's the SPG annual fee?

I agree.. without the coverages, you would need a backup.. but an FTer isn't getting max points , if a couple of cards aren't going at the same time anyways..
SPG annual fee is $120/year in Canada. In the States, it's $65 with the first year free. The bonus points for signup are also higher in the States, and you get more perks.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:02 pm
Suspended

SPG annual fee is $120/year in Canada. In the States, it's $65 with the first year free. The bonus points for signup are also higher in the States, and you get more perks.
Thanks..

At $120 per year, you really have to count on the bonus points to justify the application.

I'm not too sure, I would take advantage of a deal like this, unless its free to try it out..
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Thanks to the OP for posting this absolutely ACE tip about the Aventura bonus. ^
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by wwtsang
have you been able to transfer points to someone else's account with the amex gold, from what i read it can only be transferred to an account in the cardholder's name
Since you transfer MR points to an AE number and not a name, you can send them to anyone. Done this multiple times and is why I prefer MR Amex's over Aeroplan mile ones.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by RoninTech
Since you transfer MR points to an AE number and not a name, you can send them to anyone. Done this multiple times and is why I prefer MR Amex's over Aeroplan mile ones.
that's against the T&C based on my reading

Cardmembers may transfer points from his/her Program Account to an Aeroplan account held in the Cardmember's name at the rate of 1,000 Membership Rewards points to 1,000 frequent flyer miles.

if they decide to audit the transfers they could always deduct the miles and not reimburse you
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:18 pm

that's against the T&C based on my reading

Cardmembers may transfer points from his/her Program Account to an Aeroplan account held in the Cardmember's name at the rate of 1,000 Membership Rewards points to 1,000 frequent flyer miles.

if they decide to audit the transfers they could always deduct the miles and not reimburse you
Then I highly recommend you don't do it. Meanwhile I'll live on the edge!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by RoninTech
Then I highly recommend you don't do it. Meanwhile I'll live on the edge!
just pointing it out so others aren't under the impression that since it can be done it's allowed, everyone's free to take their own risks

it eats into AE's revenue since they charge 2 cents to people who don't know better to transfer miles between accounts

from an operational standpoint, it's pretty easy to flag these transfers, when one account transfers to more than one AE number it should probably be flagged, maybe amex is turning a blind eye towards this as long as it's not abused
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:25 pm

it eats into AE's revenue since they charge 2 cents to people who don't know better to transfer miles between accounts
Ouch! Did you get dinged with that?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:39 pm
Suspended

just pointing it out so others aren't under the impression that since it can be done it's allowed, everyone's free to take their own risks

from an operational standpoint, it's pretty easy to flag these transfers, when one account transfers to more than one AE number it should probably be flagged, maybe amex is turning a blind eye towards this as long as it's not abused
This has been done.. and seems to be a loophole.

Whether AE or ccs enforce T&C in the future remains to be seen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.