Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aventura World MasterCard - 1st Yr Free & 15,000 Points (Sept 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aventura World MasterCard - 1st Yr Free & 15,000 Points (Sept 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Originally Posted by todd-r
CIBC doesn't allow this. They only give the points if you actually apply for the new card.
Thanks for the info. Some companies, like MBNA actually will switch you. But cancelling one and applying for the other won't be a problem.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Great White North
Thanks for the info. Some companies, like MBNA actually will switch you. But cancelling one and applying for the other won't be a problem.
Discussed many times before.. with Amex..

If you don't have a current Amex card showing history, another credit bureau will be pulled for application of the new card.. and this may affect your credit rating..
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
And here's the T&C on the fee rebate:
Anybody know when they rebate the annual fee? I'm going to apply for the card before the end of the month - but it seems odd to me they don't mention that part.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:49 am

New card arrived in the mail on Monday.

Huge limit - WoW!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
New card arrived in the mail on Monday.

Huge limit - WoW!
Don't go overboard spending.

Thoughts on dumping Visa Infinite for this card? I've been contemplating the switch..
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Don't go overboard spending.

Thoughts on dumping Visa Infinite for this card? I've been contemplating the switch..
i assume you're referring to the cibc aerogold visa infinite... i would dump and switch, waived first year annual fee plus 15k bonus, only downside is the transfer needs to be in 10k chunks

i haven't dived into the details but think the same great travel insurance that i've heard the aerogold covers is available for this one too (please correct me if i'm wrong)
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wwtsang
i assume you're referring to the cibc aerogold visa infinite... i would dump and switch, waived first year annual fee plus 15k bonus, only downside is the transfer needs to be in 10k chunks

i haven't dived into the details but think the same great travel insurance that i've heard the aerogold covers is available for this one too (please correct me if i'm wrong)
Ok.. great..

To clarify.. thereafter the 10K chunk.. I thought it was increments of 5K.. perhaps maybe smaller chunks.. but it would be nice to have this confirmed.. because this is one reason that's holding me back..

I don't want to get stuck on a chunk, when I want to ditch the card..
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Can you transfer the points to someone elses Aeroplan account like with Amex gold?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by peroorim
Can you transfer the points to someone elses Aeroplan account like with Amex gold?
have you been able to transfer points to someone else's account with the amex gold, from what i read it can only be transferred to an account in the cardholder's name

AM.. for the aventura i think it's always blocks of 10k, not sure where you read it was 5k blocks after the first 10k
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Ok.. great..

To clarify.. thereafter the 10K chunk.. I thought it was increments of 5K.. perhaps maybe smaller chunks.. but it would be nice to have this confirmed.. because this is one reason that's holding me back..

I don't want to get stuck on a chunk, when I want to ditch the card..
I read in the CIBC site is in 10K increments. I just got the card. I plan on spending 5K on it which won't take me that long, maybe 5 months, and then transfer the 20K over to Aeroplan and get rid of the card.

No way I am going to get another 10K on it before the 12 months is up
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
I read in the CIBC site is in 10K increments. I just got the card. I plan on spending 5K on it which won't take me that long, maybe 5 months, and then transfer the 20K over to Aeroplan and get rid of the card.

Same plan here, I just got the card (CIBC called Monday to confirm), $5000 in 12 months shouldnt be an issue.
I imagine it will require careful spending once the $5000 approaches - but once I hit that - card is gone.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by bobloblaw007
Great find! Will definately be applying for this next month.
Question for the AMEX Gold cardholders: If you cancel your card, is your membership reward account still active or do they close that too? In other words, do we need to transfer the MR points to AP or can we keep them in MR?

By the way, does Aventura have this promotion normally? Never really looked into it. .

Thanks,
I just cancelled my AMEX Gold..... you have to use the points before you terminate the card, otherwise the points are void.

Never researched the Aventura card........ just went for Aerogold which is $120 waived.......
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
I just cancelled my AMEX Gold..... you have to use the points before you terminate the card, otherwise the points are void.

Never researched the Aventura card........ just went for Aerogold which is $120 waived.......
waived as you opened up the unlimited chequing? thought of that but there were too many hoops to jump through

the aventura seemed like less work, plus there are some establishments which give double miles so that should help reduce the 5k spend before i ditch the card
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by wwtsang
waived as you opened up the unlimited chequing? thought of that but there were too many hoops to jump through

the aventura seemed like less work, plus there are some establishments which give double miles so that should help reduce the 5k spend before i ditch the card
yeah..... once i meet the criteria and recieve the mileage i will just downgrade it...... and after 6 mths (with a min balance of $1000) i will close it

now, if the Ace Ventura card can be more like the AMEX Gold (like choose UA/CO, CX, BA, AC, SPG etc etc.........) I would definitely consider switching next year.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ichinensei

Careful navigation will be important.. This feature of the card is

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Same plan here, I just got the card (CIBC called Monday to confirm), $5000 in 12 months shouldnt be an issue.
I imagine it will require careful spending once the $5000 approaches - but once I hit that - card is gone.
$5,000 spend maybe too much spend.. I think you get 50% or double miles more points at grocery stores, drug stores, and gas stations.. So it will be important to calculate the exact amount of points available for transfer..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.