Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Allvest
No, if you didn't use their voucher, then it's ok. These claims are pretty standard and since there is a cap to the coverage (depending on card it is up to $1000 per incident, even allowing for multiple incidents on a single itinerary), they just pay it out.
I guess even if you used their vouchers, it would be fine too. Amex insurance would never ask you to surrender the vouchers. They wouldn't know nor care.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:29 am

I booked a aeroplan mini-rtw with Aeroplan Gold Amex, but also hold the Gold Reward Amex. Can someone please tell me if I get this right?

1) Gold Reward Amex will only cover my 15 day travel insurance. (I've already topped it up to the whole duration)...but that's the only thing it'll cover

2) Aeroplan Gold Amex will cover this:
"Book a flight with your American Express AeroplanPlus Gold Card, and receive up to $500 coverage for all reasonable and necessary hotel, motel or restaurant expenses made within 48 hours when you are delayed or denied boarding for more than four hours and no alternate transportation is available. Also includes up to $500 for all immediate daily necessary and reasonable emergency purchases, made within four days, for essential clothing and sundry items when your baggage on your outbound trip is delayed more than six hours. Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada."

I didn't see this thread till now, and am leaving the door to go camping. When I return from camping, I have to pack and start the mini-rtw the next day. I could really use a simple and helpful answer. Thanks in advance guys!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I recently made an insurance claim with the AMEX Platinum Aeroplan cc; it absolutely works!

Assured Assistance (the provider) asked for ridiculous things such as "written proof from an airline agent" that there was a cancellation, even though the rep mentioned that numerous card holders had called in before me crying about the same issue.

If anyone has to make a claim, here's my advice:

- Take a pic of the display board by the gate
- Go to the Flight Status page on Aircanada.com, enter your flight # and print the page off, since that will provide the official cancellation notice
- Go to Flight Tracker or Flight Aware, enter your flight numbers, and print the page off showing the affected flight(s)
- If it's weather related, scour the 'net and see if you can find some kind of related story (in my situation, I found something on a newspaper page - Business Week, I think)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by eltonkkc
I booked a aeroplan mini-rtw with Aeroplan Gold Amex, but also hold the Gold Reward Amex. Can someone please tell me if I get this right?

1) Gold Reward Amex will only cover my 15 day travel insurance. (I've already topped it up to the whole duration)...but that's the only thing it'll cover

"Book a flight with your American Express AeroplanPlus Gold Card, and receive up to $500 coverage for all reasonable and necessary hotel, motel or restaurant expenses made within 48 hours when you are delayed or denied boarding for more than four hours and no alternate transportation is available. Also includes up to $500 for all immediate daily necessary and reasonable emergency purchases, made within four days, for essential clothing and sundry items when your baggage on your outbound trip is delayed more than six hours. Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada."

I didn't see this thread till now, and am leaving the door to go camping. When I return from camping, I have to pack and start the mini-rtw the next day. I could really use a simple and helpful answer. Thanks in advance guys!
Don't think Amex Gold will cover anything for cancellations, lost luggage etc. They put in a weasel clause saying that the trip must be paid for either totally on the credit card, or if by awards, only by redeeming Membership Rewards points earned under the card's Membership Rewards Program.

This is generally interpreted as meaning not Aeroplan miles, but only Amex's own Membership Rewards Program.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by eltonkkc

I booked a aeroplan mini-rtw with Aeroplan Gold Amex, but also hold the Gold Reward Amex ....

Please read the complete insurance brochure and confirm with AMEX Card (Royal & Sun Alliance) claims department.

Reward trips are covered only if it's redeemed through AMEX Membership Reward , ambiguously called "card reward program", not Aeroplan. YMMV.

For Trip Cancellation (only for Platinum), it explicitly says for reward trips, only Membership Reward redemption is covered.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beep88
Please read the complete insurance brochure and confirm with AMEX Card (Royal & Sun Alliance) claims department.

Reward trips are covered only if it's redeemed through AMEX Membership Reward , ambiguously called "card reward program", not Aeroplan. YMMV.

For Trip Cancellation (only for Platinum), it explicitly says for reward trips, only Membership Reward redemption is covered.
I have two claims going on an AP booking. The language is obviously outdated, as there isn't any free award booking anymore, as proven by the hefty charge on my cc statement whenever I book on points. It's more like a points upgrade on a discount revenue ticket nowadays...
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I have two claims going on an AP booking. The language is obviously outdated, as there isn't any free award booking anymore, as proven by the hefty charge on my cc statement whenever I book on points. It's more like a points upgrade on a discount revenue ticket nowadays...
Let us know what happens at the end. I specifically used my CICBC Aerogold because I don't trust the AMEX weasel language. You would think, for example, an Aeroplat AMEX card should by rights cover an AE award ticket...but it looks like you have to be a Philadelphia lawer to figure out their policy.

Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by mapleg
Let us know what happens at the end. I specifically used my CICBC Aerogold because I don't trust the AMEX weasel language. You would think, for example, an Aeroplat AMEX card should by rights cover an AE award ticket...but it looks like you have to be a Philadelphia lawer to figure out their policy.

To me, Amex ALWAYS works for claims in AP bookings. Have done it more than a dozen times. I am not a lawyer but since it works every time, I continue to use my Amex AP Plat or Amex Cent to book my AP trips.

Try to avoid CIBC because the coverage sucks. Only $500 per incident.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:36 pm

My girlfriend booked a revenue ticket to Beijing on her CIBC Aventura World MC (entire cost). The flight was delayed for 4.5 hours, and so she wanted to take a taxi home ($30 fare) instead of staying at YVR after checking in. From reading the certificates of insurance posted on CIBC's website, this should have been a slam dunk claim under transportation expenses section a (returning to principle residence)

https://www.cibc.com/ca/pdf/visa/s82...-en.pdf#page=9

However when she called Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance (twice even), both agents wouldn't let her claim it, saying that she has to stay at the airport for 4 hours and then take a taxi after 4 hours had elapsed before she would be allowed to initiate a claim (same for food and entertainment expense). This seems ridiculous to me, as it means one would have to be delayed for well over 4 hours before someone could claim for anything since they would need time to return to the airport, as well providing ample time to clear security. How is this possible unless you were stuck for well over 4 hours (maybe 7+?)

Am I wrong or are those agents wrong?

Last edited by crimsona; Oct 24, 2012 at 2:41 pm
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg

Claims for Aeroplan "Award" tickets were paid same as revenue bookings.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crimsona
My girlfriend booked a revenue ticket to Beijing on her CIBC Aventura World MC (entire cost). The flight was delayed for 4.5 hours, and so she wanted to take a taxi home ($30 fare) instead of staying at YVR after checking in. From reading the certificates of insurance posted on CIBC's website, this should have been a slam dunk claim under transportation expenses section a (returning to principle residence)

https://www.cibc.com/ca/pdf/visa/s82...-en.pdf#page=9

However when she called Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance (twice even), both agents wouldn't let her claim it, saying that she has to stay at the airport for 4 hours and then take a taxi after 4 hours had elapsed before she would be allowed to initiate a claim (same for food and entertainment expense). This seems ridiculous to me, as it means one would have to be delayed for well over 4 hours before someone could claim for anything since they would need time to return to the airport, as well providing ample time to clear security. How is this possible unless you were stuck for well over 4 hours (maybe 7+?)

Am I wrong or are those agents wrong?
Often the flight delays are announced, so in that case, I don't see why they would reject the claim. The reasoning about needing to go back to the airport prior to 4 hours makes sense. However, I also can't fathom making phone calls and filling out a claim form for a lousy 30 bucks.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:18 pm

Often the flight delays are announced, so in that case, I don't see why they would reject the claim. The reasoning about needing to go back to the airport prior to 4 hours makes sense. However, I also can't fathom making phone calls and filling out a claim form for a lousy 30 bucks.
Then why don't you send the poster the lousy 30 bucks? No biggie
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Then why don't you send the poster the lousy 30 bucks? No biggie
Too much work ...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:56 pm

This was her first time trying to claim the card's insurance benefits as a test. She wasn't going to try spending and claiming the $100 entertainment expense in case it wasn't approved. Given her experience with just the transportation portion of the claim, I'd say her fears were fairly well-founded.

Basically all I'm trying to find out from other people's experiences is if this should be a valid claim, or as the reps have been telling her, a denied claim

Last edited by crimsona; Oct 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crimsona
This was her first time trying to claim the card's insurance benefits as a test. She wasn't going to try spending and claiming the $100 entertainment expense in case it wasn't approved. Given her experience with just the transportation portion of the claim, I'd say her fears were fairly well-founded.

Basically all I'm trying to find out from other people's experiences is if this should be a valid claim, or as the reps have been telling her, a denied claim
I assume their first response will be to deny claims and ask for ridiculous documentation, at least for run of the mill gold card programs. One thing I am not sure is if flight delays at the point of departure are covered.

I never had trouble claiming from the Amex Plat insurance (run my Rbc now, but even when run by Royal and Sun), and Amex Cent seems to be similar, although this business about asking for airline documentation on cancelled flights is a bit strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.