Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:36 pm

any ideas on where i could find the AMEX Gold Travel Insurance Policies (Travel, Car, Baggage etc)?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
any ideas on where i could find the AMEX Gold Travel Insurance Policies (Travel, Car, Baggage etc)?
https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00d0faad94RCRD

Off of the Canadian website
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So which is it? Is there an insurance program out there covering FF AE redemption tickets?

Sounds like it.. Which Visa cc do you carry Yukonprince? Crossing my fingers its Visa Infinite..
No, there is no insurance for your points. If you cannot take the trip within 22 days of departure and you are unable to re-schedule the flights, your points are "toasted".

If you unfortunately, like Yukonprince, after commencement of the trip, suffered a personal injury and must interrupt your trip, then you are covered for the out-of-pocket expenses incurred as well as your prepaid travel expenses, e.g., prepaid hotel stays BUT NOT YOUR AEROPLAN POINTS, by the CIBC Aerogold Visa, up to a maximum of C$2,000.

I understand that Aeroplan graciously allowed Yukonprince to re-book his flights. Aeroplan does not have to by its terms and conditions, purely goodwill gesture.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
No, there is no insurance for your points. If you cannot take the trip within 22 days of departure and you are unable to re-schedule the flights, your points are "toasted".

If you unfortunately, like Yukonprince, after commencement of the trip, suffered a personal injury and must interrupt your trip, then you are covered for the out-of-pocket expenses incurred as well as your prepaid travel expenses, e.g., prepaid hotel stays BUT NOT YOUR AEROPLAN POINTS, by the CIBC Aerogold Visa, up to a maximum of C$2,000.

I understand that Aeroplan graciously allowed Yukonprince to re-book his flights. Aeroplan does not have to by its terms and conditions, purely goodwill gesture.
Ok.. Yukonprince stated Aeroplan Visa Insurer..

I was not aware that AE graciously made an exception.. but that makes all the sense in the world..

I've been able to change itinerary after finishing a departure and arriving at a destination.. This was a while back around 4 years ago.. You're stating that I won't get my AE points back, but surely, the possibility of rebooking the arrival leg of the trip is there, for whatever reason including injury?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:58 pm

Ok.. Yukonprince stated Aeroplan Visa Insurer..

I was not aware that AE graciously made an exception.. but that makes all the sense in the world..

I've been able to change itinerary after finishing a departure and arriving at a destination.. This was a while back around 4 years ago.. You're stating that I won't get my AE points back, but surely, the possibility of rebooking the arrival leg of the trip is there, for whatever reason including injury?
"Cancelling Flight Rewards

39. Mileage for unexpired and unused tickets can be reinstated into your account up to 22 days before your scheduled date of departure. The fee for this reinstatement is CA$90 per person per reward ticket (or per reward code) plus applicable taxes.

40. To pay, simply use your credit card when requesting that miles be reinstated. For paper tickets: Return unused and unexpired tickets to the Aeroplan Reward Department with a letter containing your request for reinstatement. In this letter, provide your credit card number and its expiry date. Please allow four weeks for the mileage to be reinstated to your account.

41. While Aeroplan mileage cannot be reinstated into your account within 21 days of scheduled departure, your reward reservations can be changed for a fee of CA$90 per ticket, plus applicable taxes.

42. Provided that you cancel or change your booking a minimum of two hours before departure, your unused reward tickets will remain valid for one year from the date of their original issue.

43. Tickets for reward reservations that are not cancelled or changed two hours prior to the scheduled departure time will be forfeited and considered no longer valid for travel.

44. We do not reinstate your miles on unused portions of tickets nor if your reward travel has begun.

45. Aeroplan service, change and cancellation fees are non-refundable. All fees are subject to change with or without notice."

Source: www.Aeroplan.com

Please show me the rules where Aeroplan is obliged to reinstate the miles after suffering a personal injury requiring an interruption of the trip after the trip has been commenced.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Please show me the rules where Aeroplan is obliged to reinstate the miles after suffering a personal injury requiring an interruption of the trip after the trip has been commenced.
I'm not in disagreement with these rules..

I need something clarified.. Would I be able to change the arrival leg of flight in the middle of travel after departure arriving at the destination?

ime I have been able to do that in the past, but this may have changed..
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I have experience with both CIBC Visa and Amex Plat/Cent/AP Plat.

The claim experience is more or less the same: Very good.

Amex used to use Royal & Sun Alliance but now CIBC uses them. Amex is now using RBC Insurance.

A major difference is the maximum coverage. Amex Plat/Cent/AP Plat covers up to $1000 per occurrence. While CIBC Visa Infinite and Amex Gold only covers up to $500 per person. CIBC covers transfers to and from airport to hotel, and $100 of entertainment, while Amex does not cover these.

My most recent experience was in last month. Mini-RTW in C using AP points. My wife used her CIBC card and I used my Amex AP Plat to pay for the surcharges. We had different bookings using our own AP points, although we were traveling together. LH aircraft broke down in NRT causing a day's delay resulting in involuntary overnighting at NRT and FRA. LH agreed to provide accommodation and meals in both places. I refused to stay at any NRT airport hotels! So I negotiated with LH and they agreed to provide round-trip transportation to Tokyo Park Hyatt instead of the Narita hotel and dining. So we went back to Tokyo and spent a night at PH Tokyo and had a very nice meal at the Japanese restaurant there, on my Amex coverage. Then in FRA, we stayed at the Hilton downtown and had a nice meal with a friend there, mostly paid for by the insurance of my wife's CIBC Visa. (Too bad it only had a $500 ceiling)

That was a nice compensation. And we have been booking trips separately to get a larger covered amount.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:50 am

I need something clarified.. Would I be able to change the arrival leg of flight in the middle of travel after departure arriving at the destination?
AFAIK Yes you may for AC and AC Express flights only subject to the usual fee, same zone and 1-year ticket validity limitation etc. but not if booked on other *A.

Last edited by Clipper801; Sep 13, 2011 at 5:21 am
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarusoba

Amex used to use Royal & Sun Alliance but now CIBC uses them. Amex is now using RBC Insurance.

A major difference is the maximum coverage. Amex Plat/Cent/AP Plat covers up to $1000 per occurrence. While CIBC Visa Infinite and Amex Gold only covers up to $500 per person. CIBC covers transfers to and from airport to hotel, and $100 of entertainment, while Amex does not cover these.

My most recent experience was in last month. Mini-RTW in C using AP points. My wife used her CIBC card and I used my Amex AP Plat to pay for the surcharges. We had different bookings using our own AP points, although we were traveling together. LH aircraft broke down in NRT causing a day's delay resulting in involuntary overnighting at NRT and FRA. LH agreed to provide accommodation and meals in both places. I refused to stay at any NRT airport hotels! So I negotiated with LH and they agreed to provide round-trip transportation to Tokyo Park Hyatt instead of the Narita hotel and dining. So we went back to Tokyo and spent a night at PH Tokyo and had a very nice meal at the Japanese restaurant there, on my Amex coverage. Then in FRA, we stayed at the Hilton downtown and had a nice meal with a friend there, mostly paid for by the insurance of my wife's CIBC Visa. (Too bad it only had a $500 ceiling)

That was a nice compensation. And we have been booking trips separately to get a larger covered amount.
LH has breakdows??????

I thought only AC had breakdowns,delays,acts of God,strikes,surly FAs,broken IFE,........
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount

Yes, they allowed me to start my flight 17 months after the original booking (you can only book 12 months) and they let me take the YFC - YUL again.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:57 pm
Suspended

AFAIK Yes you may for AC and AC Express flights only subject to the usual fee, same zone and 1-year ticket validity limitation etc. but not if booked on other *A.
Thanks.. remains to be seen with *A I guess.. There was a UA flight I postponed forward extending our vacation for 6 nights leaving.. because the hotel we were staying at upgraded us to an Ocean Front Suite..

Originally Posted by jarusoba

I've got both Aeroplat and Gold Amex and Visa Infinite (use to have Aerogold for Business)..

I notice differences in Amex coverage between Aeroplat and Gold.. I assume only the card you use or swipe is the coverage, and that Amex coverage doesn't default to the best coverage amongst all cards just because you have both cards..
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC SE
if you have a amex plat and you pay using a gold card you will have the benefit of the platinum insurances.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 300rwhp
if you have a amex plat and you pay using a gold card you will have the benefit of the platinum insurances.
Awesome.. thanks!!

How bout if the spouse has the Aeroplat?.. and I use my Amex gold?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
I've got both Aeroplat and Gold Amex and Visa Infinite (use to have Aerogold for Business)..
Just wondering... Do you have to pay for both AMEX?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:14 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
Really? Are you sure? Where did you find this rule?

I have still been using the Cent or AP Plat cards to buy tickets because of the better coverage. If this is true, then I would start using my Amex Gold to buy tickets and get more Amex points.

This would be awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.