Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:33 pm

I know the focus of the thread are Aeroplan cards,
but..
I thought I read that the National Bank of Canada Platinum had coverage for flights that were partially payed via the credit card:
http://www.nbc.ca/bnc/cda/productfam...-15956,00.html
Certificate is at the bottom of the page...

Ticket: "Means evidence of fare paid for travel on a common carrier, at least a
portion of the cost of which has been charged to the cardholder’s
account."

Im assuming that should be sufficient for flights booked with AE?

Im curious to know if anyone has tried getting a full refund for trip cancelation from Amex or CIBC for flights that are "refundable" (ie credit with airline)?

My TD Infinite will only cover the cost of the change fee since the airline gives you a credit to use within 12 months.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by simba8
My TD Infinite will only cover the cost of the change fee since the airline gives you a credit to use within 12 months.
Much discussion on FT regarding if this would be fair compensation or not.. on one hand you're covered for the change fee, and you also have value on hand that you may or may not use..

I suppose you may be entitled to a claim if you end up not using the credit after 12 months..
Old Dec 26, 2011, 2:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Debating whether to keep the Amex Gold Rewards card and pay the $150 for possible coverage of my AP reward flights... I just want flight and baggage delay insurance. I don't care so much about trip cancellation.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by simba8

Are you saying that if you change your itinerary from AE, the cost for changing ($90 + ) could be covered by your TD Infinite? I paid by Amex Gold for my, I wonder if the change could be claimable?

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Dec 26, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by guessaaa
Debating whether to keep the Amex Gold Rewards card and pay the $150 for possible coverage of my AP reward flights... I just want flight and baggage delay insurance. I don't care so much about trip cancellation.
I'm going to have my wife cancel her gold card, as she is a Platinum member already.. I think the coverage on the Platinum outweighs the gold card..

I'll be dumping my gold card later on next month, and getting a Platinum card as well..
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I'm going to have my wife cancel her gold card, as she is a Platinum member already.. I think the coverage on the Platinum outweighs the gold card..

I'll be dumping my gold card later on next month, and getting a Platinum card as well..
I've already paid the taxes/scamcharges on the card. It's more of me debating whether Amex will honour any insurance deemed necessary on the trip. If not, the card is useless to me. Though, it seems that even though the "card reward program" is implied as Membership Rewards Points, some folks have had success claiming for flight and baggage delay on Aeroplan reward tickets. I used MR points to top up my Aeroplan to get the flights, so the link could be there theoretically.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Are you saying that if you change your itinerary from AE, the cost for changing ($90 + ) could be covered by your TD Infinite? I paid by Amex Gold for my, I wonder if the change could be claimable?
I'm pretty sure TD would not cover an AE charge.
Ticket must be fully charged (minus any used td points).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:46 am

Much discussion on FT regarding if this would be fair compensation or not.. on one hand you're covered for the change fee, and you also have value on hand that you may or may not use..

I suppose you may be entitled to a claim if you end up not using the credit after 12 months..
Well..its alittle bit more complicated....since i have a credit with the airline, is that credit now insured by my credit card for travel/medical? im not to sure it is...
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: Altitude 25k
I wish I read this thread before booking my flights!!

I booked a reward flight already, and used my td infinite card to pay for the taxes/fees... I called to confirm with TD if I am covered or not for trip insurance, and they said no! (i have a cibc infinite card too)

So what are my options now? Aeroplan won't allow me to switch credit cards for some reason.
Where would you guys purchase trip interruption/baggage insurance?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by yuubah

I booked a reward flight already, and used my td infinite card to pay for the taxes/fees... I called to confirm with TD if I am covered or not for trip insurance, and they said no! (i have a cibc infinite card too)

So what are my options now? Aeroplan won't allow me to switch credit cards for some reason.
Where would you guys purchase trip interruption/baggage insurance?
Royal Bank
http://www.rbcinsurance.com/travelinsurance/

Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:57 pm

What did they say?. I want to switch from Amex Gold to Amex Biz for my tickets.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:33 pm
Suspended

If you've got the Amex gold currently, just apply for the Amex gold for business.. they'll just look at your card history, and likely won't pull another credit check..
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: Altitude 25k
i told them i used the wrong credit card to pay for the taxes and fees and wanted to use my cibc card, they said flat out no, we dont do that.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:03 pm
Suspended

i told them i used the wrong credit card to pay for the taxes and fees and wanted to use my cibc card, they said flat out no, we dont do that.
I got the same response at Costco oddly enough.. I wanted to pay with another Amex, and they flat out say no..

But a legal loophole would be to return the items, no questions asked, and repurchase the same items through checkout using the desired credit card.. so why the fuss? In fact, a Costco employee admitted that the policy of using another cc is flawed, and recommended I return and repurchase..
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:56 pm

I got the same response at Costco oddly enough.. I wanted to pay with another Amex, and they flat out say no..

But a legal loophole would be to return the items, no questions asked, and repurchase the same items through checkout using the desired credit card.. so why the fuss? In fact, a Costco employee admitted that the policy of using another cc is flawed, and recommended I return and repurchase..
Which one did you ask and when ?? I want to do the same thing. I was able to get it recharged to the other card for the membership renewal over the phone. 57 bucks but what the hell??

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Jan 10, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.