Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
This has been discussed on the Amex forum and here, and the consensus is use CIBC/TD Aeroplan Visa cards when booking AP redemptions as those cards' insurance do cover Aeroplan redemptions.

Some people have had success redeeming with Amex insurance on reward trips but others have also had failures.

Health insurance should be covered regardless of how the ticket is booked, but trip insurance is not active.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I just called the RBC insurance company associated with AMEX travel health insurance.

I was asking about coverage if the flights are booked through Aeroplan miles (points).

The agent told me that the only way a rewards ticket would be covered if one uses one's own AMEX membership rewards points to book the ticket; not by transferring these points to Aeroplan and then booking with the Aeroplan miles/points.

I wonder if one can tell me if anyone has had submitted a claim through an AMEX travel health insurance policy, when booking an Aeroplan reward ticket - and whether the travel insurance covered you, or not?
You started a new thread, but your post was moved into this thread ("Amex Canada: Travel insurance questions") in the AC/AP forum, thanks mods.

However, there's a more recent discussion of the Amex Canada Travel Insurance at this thread in the Amex forum. Clipper01 and beep88 have written pretty much the same thing in both threads. Two threads in two forums (AC/AP and Amex)...worth merging?

Amex's official stance on this is that there is NO trip/flight/baggage coverage for any Aeroplan redemption bookings, not even their very own premium Aeroplan Platinum card (I know, crazy ain't it!?!). You will only get out-of-province medical coverage with your applicable Amex cards.

Stick to the CIBC Aerogold Visa or TD Aeroplan Visa, when booking your Aeroplan redemption flights, if you want the flight coverage...and, you have to pay the Aero reward's fees/scamcharges with a card that is attached to the same Aeroplan account that is being used to claim the redemption flight. So, when we book with my wife's Aeroplan points, we use one of her Visa cards, and when we book with my Aeros then we use my Visa.

Regardless of Amex's official policy on Aero redemption coverage, people have reported getting flight coverage anyway, so YMMV.

JJJ, wading thru the Muddy Waters
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:07 am

Credit Card Insurance for redemption tickets

So if I paid taxes and fees using TD Aeroplan Visa Infinity card for my aeroplan reward ticket, I will be covered by the trip cancellation\delay insurance provided by the card, right ?

How about my spouse's or kids' tickets? If they redeem their tickets in their own aeroplan accounts, but I use my TD Aeroplan Visa card to pay for the taxes and fees, will they be covered as well?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I assume that this would be no different using the TD Aerogold Visa for an Avios redemption?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Did you read the insurance document that's part of the membership package they sent you with your new card, or posted online http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/documen...ent_533810.pdf

it is clearly spelled out in there. For example,

P. 25 Trip cancellation ... "Paid in advance and the full cost was charged to your account and/or using your Aeroplan Miles"
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:35 am

What about Scotia AMEX?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/common/..._Insurance.pdf
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:57 am

Yes, I read the above already and couldn't figure out whether Award bookings are covered. I'm not sure if taxes & fees would be considered "total cost" of a ticket for award flights. When I called, they said it would be covered, but I'm not really sure if customer service are knowledgeable on the subject.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by DealAddict
What about Scotia AMEX?
Originally Posted by DealAddict
Yes, I read the above already and couldn't figure out whether Award bookings are covered. I'm not sure if taxes & fees would be considered "total cost" of a ticket for award flights. When I called, they said it would be covered, but I'm not really sure if customer service are knowledgeable on the subject.
I think that there are at least 3 different Scotia Amex cards. Not sure if they carry the same coverage.

In any case, I am surprised if the Scotia Amex will cover you when flying on a FF programme redemption ticket when none of the other Amex cards carries such coverage, including the Amex Aeroplan cards.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by lingecw
So if I paid taxes and fees using TD Aeroplan Visa Infinity card for my aeroplan reward ticket, I will be covered by the trip cancellation\delay insurance provided by the card, right ?

How about my spouse's or kids' tickets? If they redeem their tickets in their own aeroplan accounts, but I use my TD Aeroplan Visa card to pay for the taxes and fees, will they be covered as well?
Sorry for a late response, but seeing as no one has responded to your question, I'll repeat that your TD/CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite cards will cover ONLY those awards redeemed from your Aeroplan account (redemption account must be the same Aero account that is tied to the Visa card). So, in your latter case, for your spouse/kids redemptions, if you pay with YOUR AeroInfinite, their tix won't be covered. I don't think you get Cancellation, but rather just Flight delay/interruption, and delayed/lost Baggage insurance.

Originally Posted by Clipper801
In any case, I am surprised if the Scotia Amex will cover you when flying on a FF programme redemption ticket when none of the other Amex cards carries such coverage, including the Amex Aeroplan cards.
I haven't checked, but I wonder if the new'ish Amex AeroplanPlus Reserve Credit card is also as lame, for non-coverage on Aero redemptions?

NVM, I looked it up in the new card's Footnotes: "Trips will not be covered for trip interruption, if purchased with points (including Aeroplan miles) from a reward program other than the Membership Rewards Program"
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:18 am

Boo. So no coverage for Aeroplan / flights booked on points with Scotia Amex.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Sorry for a late response, but seeing as no one has responded to your question, I'll repeat that your TD/CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite cards will cover ONLY those awards redeemed from your Aeroplan account (redemption account must be the same Aero account that is tied to the Visa card). So, in your latter case, for your spouse/kids redemptions, if you pay with YOUR AeroInfinite, their tix won't be covered.
JJJ, you've been of tremendous value for me via PM's and our discussions here. So I thought I'd ask...If I pay for my AE "taxes" via my SPG AMEX, am I covered?

I realize the irony of such a decision given that I Have a CIBC AI, but I much value a SPG point. Thank you.

*preparing to be stoned to death.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
JJJ, ...If I pay for my AE "taxes" via my SPG AMEX, am I covered?
I do not have a SPG Amex and cannot speak definitively. However, I doubt very much since neither the Platinum nor any of the Amex Aeroplan cards, including the latest premium Reserve have this coverage.

If the SPG Amex has out of province medical, that is fine and you are covered subject to the terms and conditions of that policy. In other words, you drive across the border, you are still medically covered. I always have a copy of the policy in my glove compartment. One may be surprised that so many overlooked such seemingly trivial but important thing on a simple cross border shopping trip in one's own private car.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 27, 2015 at 8:07 am
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I do not have a SPG Amex and cannot speak definitively. However, I doubt very much since neither the Platinum nor any of the Amex Aeroplan cards, including the latest premium Reserve have this coverage.

If the SPG Amex has out of province medical, that is fine and you are covered subject to the terms and conditions of that policy. In other words, you drive across the border, you are still medically covered. I always have a copy of the policy in my glove compartment. One may be surprised that so many overlooked such seemingly trivial but important thing on a simple cross border shopping trip.
Thanks. I'll have to look it up. Do you know which kicks in first? My CC coverage or my private insurance through SunLife?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Thanks. I'll have to look it up. Do you know which kicks in first? My CC coverage or my private insurance through SunLife?
You mean out-of-province medical coverage?

You will submit your claim to Amex's insurer for processing. Amex's insurer will co-ordinate with provincial health and any other insurance coverage that you may have, e.g., from your employer through Sun Life. The latter generally depends on the amount of life time coverage available. If >$50,000, Amex's insurer will co-ordinate, if <$50,000, Amex's insurer will not co-ordinate. This is the case for the Platinum card which I suspect to be the same or very similar for other Amex cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.