Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Credit Card Insurance coverage

There have been threads over the years discussing coverage that credit cards give when purchasing airline tickets, i.e. lost bags, delayed flights, etc. OR items stolen from a hotel room. But the question of whether these coverages applied to award tickets and free nights has been an uncertain one. I know I have made award ticket claims on both my old Diners Club card and my regular American Express Platinum card. But others have said that their cards don't cover their award tickets.

I just received an updated brochure outlining the coverage of the various American Express premium cards, which includes both the regular Platinum and Gold, and the Aeroplan Platinum and Gold cards. The coverage is said to apply when the Full Fare price of a ticket is paid for with the card. However, Full Fare is defined as the actual fare plus all fees, taxes and other charges. And Full Fare "is extended to included airline tickets obtained through the redemption of points from the card reward program, when applicable taxes have been charged to the card. Full Fare is also extended to include free hotel/motel stays obtained through the redemption of points from the card reward program."

However, a careful reading suggests that the term "card reward program" means Aeroplan awards (either earned directly with the AeroPlat/Gold or by transferring MemberRewards points to AE miles) but not those from other FF programs, including hotel programs for those free hotel nights.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:56 pm

thats how i read it too and i did put in a claim before over an 6 hr SFO delay due to outbound YYZ WX delay
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:20 pm

Having dealt with both Plat Amex and Aerogold Visa on reward booking disruptions, I cant tell you how impressed I was with Aerogold. Never an issue on a points redemption ticket.
My Amex may cost me 3* annual fee of Aerogold but I will always pay redemption fee taxes/fees with Aerogold
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I used to not worry about FF bookings..

Now with the new change rules.. can't change within 22 days.. has made me think that there is a grey area..

Perhaps if the fee to cancel and deposit points to AE account applies.. that's the insurance.. pay $150 per ticket if something goes wrong..

but, I admit, I'm going to be doing some research on this one.. Anyone know the answer?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
I claimed $1,250 or so when I fell and my mini RTW (points) trip was interrupted.

The Aeroplan Visa insurance had a cheque back to me in 10 days - excellent no hassle service!
prmetime likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I used to not worry about FF bookings..

Now with the new change rules.. can't change within 22 days.. has made me think that there is a grey area..

Perhaps if the fee to cancel and deposit points to AE account applies.. that's the insurance.. pay $150 per ticket if something goes wrong..

but, I admit, I'm going to be doing some research on this one.. Anyone know the answer?
Unfortunately there is no way to insure those points spent to redeem the reward ticket if you must cancel within the 22 days window, even if the reason for the cancellation is a usually covered event.

You will need to re-book and then cancel if you're able to do so. It may be difficult if you booked at exactly 360 days in advance as soon as the flight was open for booking. Some insurance policies may cover the re-booking and cancellation fee by Aeroplan.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I just received an updated brochure outlining the coverage of the various American Express premium cards....
I note that the brochure includes:

* Flight and Baggage Delay & Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
* Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
* Buyer's Assurance Protection Plan

However, it does not include the usual:

* $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance
* Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance

Does this imply that these coverages are no longer in force, or does it simply mean that AMEX has negotiated better terms with RBC (now that's slightly ironic) and Royal & Sun Alliance for the coverages that are described in the brochure but that the others remain in force?

I also find it interesting that the coverages are described in somewhat more detail and that they are more restrictive than before, in that they clearly state "as determined by us" in several of the definitions. I suppose this means that Essential Clothing no longer includes silk underwear and Gucci loafers. (Not that you'd get too far with the $500 aggregate limit in any event! )

Finally, while Amex provides $500 aggregate coverage for luggage delay when several travellers are affected, RBC Avion provides $2500! Traveller beware!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I called up Amex to ask about coverage for their Amex Aeroplan Gold. Their T&C's had recently changed to state they'd cover "reward" trips.

Upon confirmation from a supervisor, they said it covered trips redeemed through their MR (Mileage Rewards) program and not AP.

While some may have had success with this particular flavour of Amex for claims on reward trips, I have never gotten confirmation they actually cover AP redemptions.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Unfortunately there is no way to insure those points spent to redeem the reward ticket if you must cancel within the 22 days window, even if the reason for the cancellation is a usually covered event.

You will need to re-book and then cancel if you're able to do so. It may be difficult if you booked at exactly 360 days in advance as soon as the flight was open for booking. Some insurance policies may cover the re-booking and cancellation fee by Aeroplan.
I agree..

The 360 day rule seems to come into play..

For the most part, the 360 day rule doesn't apply.. so you're saying in terms of rebook.. to do a change within the 22 day rule? Is that still possible?.. and then pay the $150 for point reinstatement?

If the rebooking is half decent, then I assume there would be no need to reinstate the points onto account..
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:56 pm

An interesting article in the Toronto Star today regarding credit card travel insurance coverage:

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/105...urance-mistake
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:03 pm
Suspended

An interesting article in the Toronto Star today regarding credit card travel insurance coverage:

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/105...urance-mistake
The article points out that not having the right insurance will result in denied claims..

Different ccs have different insurances on the card.. Can't assume that you have the insurance, until reading carefully the card inclusions.. Adviseable to double check your coverage before relying on the coverage..
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by okazon69
I note that the brochure includes:

* Flight and Baggage Delay & Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
* Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
* Buyer's Assurance Protection Plan

However, it does not include the usual:

* $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance
* Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance

Isn't that covered by a separate brochure?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:26 am

The point here is that no insurance is available to protect those Aeroplan points used to redeem a ticket.

Most of us who are not SE and do not entitle to IKK need to book well in advance, usually 330 to 360 days out as soon as seats are released for booking.

If an event occurs within 22 days of departure, the ability to re-book and then cancel is very restricted because of the 1-year ticket validity rule.

Can you imagine if you’re paying Class Plus Reward rate?

Although I have read Aeroplan being “reasonable” in providing solution to bona fide situations where they would normally be covered by an insurance cancellation policy, e.g., death in the family and official government travel advisory, it is really at the sole discretion of Aeroplan and there is no assurance.

One item on my wish list for 2012 is the ability to cancel up to the departure time. They can charge a higher fee, say $180 if the cancellation is within 22 days of departure. This is the fee that one must pay to re-book and cancel any way. If one has purchased cancellation insurance, most insurance companies will cover the cancellation fee.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Having dealt with both Plat Amex and Aerogold Visa on reward booking disruptions, I cant tell you how impressed I was with Aerogold. Never an issue on a points redemption ticket.
My Amex may cost me 3* annual fee of Aerogold but I will always pay redemption fee taxes/fees with Aerogold
+1 - outstanding service from the Aeroplan Visa insurer when I made a claim while travelling on a reward ticket!!!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:28 pm
Suspended

The point here is that no insurance is available to protect those Aeroplan points used to redeem a ticket.

Most of us who are not SE and do not entitle to IKK need to book well in advance, usually 330 to 360 days out as soon as seats are released for booking.

If an event occurs within 22 days of departure, the ability to re-book and then cancel is very restricted because of the 1-year ticket validity rule.

Can you imagine if you’re paying Class Plus Reward rate?

Although I have read Aeroplan being “reasonable” in providing solution to bona fide situations where they would normally be covered by an insurance cancellation policy, e.g., death in the family and official government travel advisory, it is really at the sole discretion of Aeroplan and there is no assurance.

One item on my wish list for 2012 is the ability to cancel up to the departure time. They can charge a higher fee, say $180 if the cancellation is within 22 days of departure. This is the fee that one must pay to re-book and cancel any way. If one has purchased cancellation insurance, most insurance companies will cover the cancellation fee.
Originally Posted by Yukonprince
+1 - outstanding service from the Aeroplan Visa insurer when I made a claim while travelling on a reward ticket!!!
So which is it? Is there an insurance program out there covering FF AE redemption tickets?

Sounds like it.. Which Visa cc do you carry Yukonprince? Crossing my fingers its Visa Infinite..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.