Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I do not have a SPG Amex and cannot speak definitively. However, I doubt very much since neither the Platinum nor any of the Amex Aeroplan cards, including the latest premium Reserve have this coverage.

If the SPG Amex has out of province medical, that is fine and you are covered subject to the terms and conditions of that policy. In other words, you drive across the border, you are still medically covered. I always have a copy of the policy in my glove compartment. One may be surprised that so many overlooked such seemingly trivial but important thing on a simple cross border shopping trip in one's own private car.
Thanks, to provide value to the community here, I did follow up as promised. The SPG Amex does not have trip cancellation insurance, but it does have everything else:

Flight Delay Insurance14†
Charge your airline ticket to your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express and receive up to $500 coverage (aggregate maximum with Baggage Delay Insurance) for hotel, motel, restaurant expenses and other sundry items.

Baggage Delay Insurance15†
Book a flight with your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express and receive up to $500 coverage (aggregate maximum with Flight Delay Insurance) for reasonable and necessary emergency purchases.

Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance15†
When you fully charge your airline tickets to your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, you can receive up to $500 coverage for loss or damage to your luggage or personal effects while in transit.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:30 am

This is quite irritating... I'm going to have make a choice between an Avios/aeroplan booking and paying for extra insurance vs a cash booking and not paying for insurance.... definitely feeling somewhat cheated
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by DealAddict
This is quite irritating... I'm going to have make a choice between an Avios/aeroplan booking and paying for extra insurance vs a cash booking and not paying for insurance.... definitely feeling somewhat cheated
For Aeroplan bookings, use TD or CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite or Visa Infinite Privilege to pay the taxes and charges, you are covered by the travel insurance.

Not sure about Avios. You may want to post in the BA forum to see which credit card may have cover, e.g., RBC British Airways Visa covers or not.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801
For Aeroplan bookings, use TD or CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite or Visa Infinite Privilege to pay the taxes and charges, you are covered by the travel insurance.

Not sure about Avios. You may want to post in the BA forum to see which credit card may have cover, e.g., RBC British Airways Visa covers or not.
Yep, but unfortunately I have neither... I have the Scotia Amex Gold.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:02 pm

-deleted-

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 27, 2015 at 12:05 pm Reason: Promotion ended
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
.... TD/CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite cards will cover ONLY those awards redeemed from your Aeroplan account (redemption account must be the same Aero account that is tied to the Visa card). So, in your latter case, for your spouse/kids redemptions, if you pay with YOUR AeroInfinite, their tix won't be covered.
Really?

TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite, Trip Cancellation/Interruption

Covered Trip means a trip:
• made by an Insured Person;
• outside the Insured Person’s province or territory of residence;
• that does not extend to or past:
• the date the Insured Person no longer meets the eligibility requirements set out in section 3;
• the date coverage terminates as described in section 4;
• that was booked or reserved prior to departure from the Insured Person’s province or territory of residence; and
• for which the full cost has been charged:
• to Your Account, and/or
• using Your Aeroplan Miles.

SECTION 3 – ELIGIBILITY

The Primary Cardholder is eligible to be insured under this Certificate if, throughout the Covered Trip, the Primary Cardholder:
• is a resident of Canada; and
• has an Account in Good Standing.

The Primary Cardholder’s Spouse is eligible to be insured under this Certificate if, throughout the Covered Trip:
• You are eligible to be insured under this Certificate as described above, even if You are not traveling; and
• the Spouse:
• is a resident of Canada; and
• continues to meet the definition of Spouse of the Primary Cardholder.

The Primary Cardholder’s Dependent Child is eligible to be insured under this Certificate if, throughout the Covered Trip:
• You are eligible to be insured under this Certificate as described above, even if You are not traveling; and
• the Dependent Child:
• is a resident of Canada;
• is traveling with either You or with Your Spouse; and
• continues to meet the definition of Dependent Child.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
JJJ, you've been of tremendous value for me via PM's and our discussions here. So I thought I'd ask...If I pay for my AE "taxes" via my SPG AMEX, am I covered?
TBH, Clipper and beep are the experts on the CC travel insurance. I just follow their lead.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Thanks, to provide value to the community here, I did follow up as promised. The SPG Amex does not have trip cancellation insurance, but it does have everything else:
Flight Delay Insurance
Baggage Delay Insurance
Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
Since your original post asked about paying for the AE "taxes" then you probably should call Amex again and have them re-verify the coverage from their SPG card for award bookings. Because I believe the coverages you were quote are only for revenue fares, and does not apply to Aeroplan reward travel. Whenever I've spoken to Amex reps it's been bascially "There are NO Amex cards which provide flight/baggage insurance on Aeroplan redemptions"...i.e., NOT EVEN THEIR Aeroplan Plus Platinum card! For this, you need to book with CIBC or TD Aero cards.

Having said that, others have said Amex DID cover their Aero bookings...but, it may be YMMV, and if push comes to shove, you can expect Amex to pull out their policies and flash them in front of your disappointed eyes. Hope it won't come to that though.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by beep88
Really?

TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite, Trip Cancellation/Interruption

• the date the Insured Person no longer meets the eligibility requirements set out in section 3;
• that was booked or reserved prior to departure from the Insured Person’s province or territory of residence; and
I tried to figure out what this mean, vis-a-vis coverage when I pay with MY AeroInfinite card, but the redemption is from points from my SPOUSE's Aero account. The verbiage doesn't seem to address this issue.

FWIW, I'm just relaying what a CIBC rep told me, that there's NO coverage when paying with MY AeroInfinite card, which is tied to MY Aero number, but for a redemption drawn from someone else's Aero account. If TD's version of the AeroInfinite is different, then that is a great feature. Unfortunately, I have no confidence with TD reps and their knowledge, so I'm not tempted to call them to find out.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by beep88
Building on this,
Does that mean that the taxes can be paid with something else because the fare (or at least fare portion of a ticket) was paid in miles?

Or because TD says "trip", the "trip" could not happen without both the fare and the tax? And therefore is not the full cost?

Related, has anybody ever got AP to change payment methods after booking?
Old May 21, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
More related:
Under the "Flight/Trip Delay Insurance" (policy FC310035)

Covered Trip means travel on a Common Carrier, the fare for which is fully charged to Your Account, or obtained either in full or partially using your Aeroplan Miles. If your Aeroplan Miles have only partially covered your Common Carrier fare, the balance of that fare must be fully charged to Your Account.

From that can infer that the fare is genuinely just the fare and not any other taxes or fees?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
BMO World elite mc travel insurance

Bumping the thread.....looked at T&C for BMO WE M/c....
Coverage Eligibility
Coverage applies only when You charge the full or partial cost of Your Trip to the Primary or Family
Cardholder’s MasterCard when booking Your Trip.
Insured Person means the Primary Cardholder, Spouse and/or Dependent Child(ren).

Does that mean it will cover Aeroplan reward tickets if taxes paid by this m/c?

(I already know about TD/CIBC aero Infinite card coverage...but since I dont have those.....checking to see if anyone has any experience/info regarding coverage by the BMO worldelite m/c)
thanks
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
re. BMO

Sounds too good to be true, but might be true. You should check with the claims department of Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company (Canadian Branch).

They specifically mention MasterCard reward program is covered. Does that imply something else? I don't know.

"Ticket means evidence of full fare paid for travel on a Common Carrier, which has been partially or completely charged to the Account. Ticket(s) obtained through the redemption of loyalty points earned under the MasterCard reward program are eligible for coverage. The full or partial cost including taxes and/or fees, if applicable, must be either charged to the Account or paid through the redemption of loyalty points earned under the MasterCard reward program."

"Trip means a defined period of travel of definite length for which the full or partial cost of Your Ticket has been charged to the Account (Tickets obtained through the redemption of loyalty points earned under the MasterCard reward program are eligible for coverage)."
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:43 pm

Hope it's okay to revive this thread...

But I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience filing a baggage delay insurance claim with Amex for a Gold Rewards card, where you travelled on 2 separate tickets, but bags were interlined together. I had filed a baggage delay claim in the past like this, and had it paid, but filed one recently and had it denied. The first ticket and segment were an Aeroplan booking, and then a full fare AC ticket was the second ticket to the destination. Having read the TCs, they don't seem to contemplate multiple tickets and interlining of bags, but I assume they interpret it as both tickets needing to be purchased outright to get the compensation? Not sure why the previous claim was approved though. Could I have just put the claim in as if it was for the second segment that was a full fare ticket, ignoring the first ticket at all? If I hadn't interlined the bag, I would have re-checked it and then ultimately been able to claim compensation for the lost baggage because I had paid for the ticket. Guess something to consider for the future.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by joburghfx

But I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience filing a baggage delay insurance claim with Amex for a Gold Rewards card, where you travelled on 2 separate tickets, but bags were interlined together. I had filed a baggage delay claim in the past like this, and had it paid, but filed one recently and had it denied. The first ticket and segment were an Aeroplan booking, and then a full fare AC ticket was the second ticket to the destination. Having read the TCs, they don't seem to contemplate multiple tickets and interlining of bags, but I assume they interpret it as both tickets needing to be purchased outright to get the compensation? Not sure why the previous claim was approved though. Could I have just put the claim in as if it was for the second segment that was a full fare ticket, ignoring the first ticket at all? If I hadn't interlined the bag, I would have re-checked it and then ultimately been able to claim compensation for the lost baggage because I had paid for the ticket. Guess something to consider for the future.
Your Amex does NOT cover travel on an Aeroplan ticket. Since your travel involved an Aeroplan reward ticket, you are not covered.
The only Canadian credit cards that offer automatic travel insurance coverage when flying on an Aeroplan ticket are CIBC and TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite and Visa Infinite Privilege.
If you do not have one of those cards by CIBC or TD or did not want to pay your taxes and fees with one of those cards, you will need to purchase separate travel insurance.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by joburghfx

Baggage is the responsibility of the last carrier on the trip so I personally would have no problem filing a claim when the second ticket was eligible for coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.