FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Card Insurance coverage
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:16 pm
Clipper801

Originally Posted by joburghfx
Hope it's okay to revive this thread...

But I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience filing a baggage delay insurance claim with Amex for a Gold Rewards card, where you travelled on 2 separate tickets, but bags were interlined together. I had filed a baggage delay claim in the past like this, and had it paid, but filed one recently and had it denied. The first ticket and segment were an Aeroplan booking, and then a full fare AC ticket was the second ticket to the destination. Having read the TCs, they don't seem to contemplate multiple tickets and interlining of bags, but I assume they interpret it as both tickets needing to be purchased outright to get the compensation? Not sure why the previous claim was approved though. Could I have just put the claim in as if it was for the second segment that was a full fare ticket, ignoring the first ticket at all? If I hadn't interlined the bag, I would have re-checked it and then ultimately been able to claim compensation for the lost baggage because I had paid for the ticket. Guess something to consider for the future.
Your Amex does NOT cover travel on an Aeroplan ticket. Since your travel involved an Aeroplan reward ticket, you are not covered.
The only Canadian credit cards that offer automatic travel insurance coverage when flying on an Aeroplan ticket are CIBC and TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite and Visa Infinite Privilege.
If you do not have one of those cards by CIBC or TD or did not want to pay your taxes and fees with one of those cards, you will need to purchase separate travel insurance.