Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Which one did you ask and when ?? I want to do the same thing. I was able to get it recharged to the other card for the membership renewal over the phone. 57 bucks but what the hell??
Actually multiple times throughout the years at the refund desk.. when I asked if I could put a past purchase on another Amex, the agents says no, that's against Costco policy.. but, nothing is preventing me from returning and repurchasing, or buying now and returning the recently bought product with a past receipt..
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Actually multiple times throughout the years at the refund desk.. when I asked if I could put a past purchase on another Amex, the agents says no, that's against Costco policy.. but, nothing is preventing me from returning and repurchasing, or buying now and returning the recently bought product with a past receipt..
maybe this misunderstood and thought you want to put the charge on someone else's Amex? i can't see why they won't let you pay with another amex under the same name as the costco membership, unless you're using the costco amex, even then it should still be fine
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by wwtsang
maybe this misunderstood and thought you want to put the charge on someone else's Amex? i can't see why they won't let you pay with another amex under the same name as the costco membership, unless you're using the costco amex, even then it should still be fine
Were you able to do that?

I just got my Amex Biz and I want to exchange the product(s) that were paid by Amex Gold, both in my name. Essentially return on my old card and repurchase with the new. It took some time for the card to arrive. I needed the stuff when I bought it but it(s) still within the refund time period. I don't want to bring the items to the store, some are used. Computer for example is all setup.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wwtsang
No, the question was understood with clarity by the agent.. I had a receipt and wanted to refund my entire purchase, and use another card to recharge under the same name..

I imagine if push came to shove, a supervisor would allow it.. I mean, it shouldn't make a difference, but for some reason does make a difference at a Costco..
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

..... Costco policy.. but, nothing is preventing me from returning and repurchasing, or buying now and returning the recently bought product with a past receipt..

I can not find the return policy at Costco's on line site. Other than statements that everything purchased on line can be return to more than 500 stores in the world. Is there a time frame attached to specific merchandise and other conditions attached? What about insurance if something happens in transit, who covers that? Lately I seen stuff on the news with issues (TV bought on line -not Costco, and was damaged in transit) and shipper was not taking responsibilities.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I can not find the return policy at Costco's on line site. Other than statements that everything purchased on line can be return to more than 500 stores in the world. Is there a time frame attached to specific merchandise and other conditions attached? What about insurance if something happens in transit, who covers that? Lately I seen stuff on the news with issues (TV bought on line -not Costco, and was damaged in transit) and shipper was not taking responsibilities.
You can return whenever you want and even without a receipt IIRC.. I returned a wedding gift 7 years later, and no problem, no receipt..

Electronics I noticed have a 30 day or similar to return.. I guess many members would purchase a computer, and use it for a bit, and return to get all of the money back..
Old May 15, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Wondering if anyone has any experience with AMEX Aeroplat cancellation insurance. I am in the position of possibly having to cancel an ACV package...possible health issue with Mrs Mapleg.

From reading the policy, it was not a pre-existing condition, but something that has happened between buying the package last momth and leaving which is scheduled for this weekend.

Won't know if we have to cancel or not until doctor gives opinion in next few days.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Wondering if anyone has any experience with AMEX Aeroplat cancellation insurance.
No experience with AMEX cancellation, but with AMEX delayed luggage.

One suggestion: don't call them unless you're sure of what you want. When I called to inquire about delayed luggage last month, they immediately opened a file, even though I just wanted to ask them how the claims process works. It may not be to your advantage to do so immediately, depending on your wife's condition.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by mapleg
Wondering if anyone has any experience with AMEX Aeroplat cancellation insurance. I am in the position of possibly having to cancel an ACV package...possible health issue with Mrs Mapleg.

From reading the policy, it was not a pre-existing condition, but something that has happened between buying the package last momth and leaving which is scheduled for this weekend.

Won't know if we have to cancel or not until doctor gives opinion in next few days.
I don't have the insurance document from AMEX with me. For cancellation insurance, the purpose is mainly to insure risks that appear AFTER the effective date : date when premium was paid (and for CC coverage, date when your travel ticket was fully paid for). And this is generally the terms for pre-trip cancellation insurance.

Looking at retail version of cancellation insurance issued by RBC Insurance (which is the insurer for AMEX Aeroplat - terms for Aeroplat may be differenct):
http://www.rbcinsurance.com/property...ile-125713.pdf

Effective date -
a) the date and time the required premium is paid, as shown on your insurance application/confirmation of coverage.

1 This insurance does not pay for any expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:
i) Any medical condition or related condition (whether or not the diagnosis has been determined), if at any time in the 90 days before your effective date, the medical condition or related condition has not been stable.

2 This insurance does not cover any loss, claim or expense of any kind caused directly or indirectly from:
a) Any anticipated event, occurrence, circumstance, or medical condition, which you were aware of on or before your effective date, and which you knew might be cause for cancellation, interruption or delay of your trip.

Originally Posted by okazon69
No experience with AMEX cancellation, but with AMEX delayed luggage.

One suggestion: don't call them unless you're sure of what you want. When I called to inquire about delayed luggage last month, they immediately opened a file, even though I just wanted to ask them how the claims process works. It may not be to your advantage to do so immediately, depending on your wife's condition.
You can still call, just do not identify yourself. You are entitled to call the insurer and inquire about the terms before you purchase the product (in this case, acquiring the Aeroplat card, for instance)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Wanted to follow-up on my coverage experience with the Amex AeroPlat.

Used AP miles to book the 2for1 flight benefit.

Was flying ATL-YYZ-YOW last month. Mechanical delay in ATL, causing a 3 hour delay, and resulting in us missing our connection to YOW (last YYZ-YOW flight of the day). Had to overnight in YYZ.

Walked over to the Sheraton at T3 and charged the room to my Amex.

Called up Amex next week, made the claim, sent in the requisite documents and received a cheque in the mail today. ^
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by headhunter
Wanted to follow-up on my coverage experience with the Amex AeroPlat.

Used AP miles to book the 2for1 flight benefit.

Was flying ATL-YYZ-YOW last month. Mechanical delay in ATL, causing a 3 hour delay, and resulting in us missing our connection to YOW (last YYZ-YOW flight of the day). Had to overnight in YYZ.

Walked over to the Sheraton at T3 and charged the room to my Amex.

Called up Amex next week, made the claim, sent in the requisite documents and received a cheque in the mail today. ^
Wow, Amex covers for Mx. I thought that was the responsibility of airline and CC covers other irrops
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Wow, Amex covers for Mx. I thought that was the responsibility of airline and CC covers other irrops
Amex covers anything airlines didn't or won't cover.

So, say the airline had given a $100 voucher toward hotel stay, this would be deductible from the claim (if you would be forthright enough to actually mention it on the claim form).
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by Allvest
Amex covers anything airlines didn't or won't cover.

So, say the airline had given a $100 voucher toward hotel stay, this would be deductible from the claim (if you would be forthright enough to actually mention it on the claim form).
Actually, a gate agent met us at the ramp. Had a hotel voucher and a couple $10 food certificates in hand, along with bp's for the morning flight.

After waiting for luggage (lost) and not wanting to take a shuttle to the hotel at 2am, I walked over to the Sheraton.

Maybe I was just lucky to get the claim authorized.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by headhunter
Actually, a gate agent met us at the ramp. Had a hotel voucher and a couple $10 food certificates in hand, along with bp's for the morning flight.

After waiting for luggage (lost) and not wanting to take a shuttle to the hotel at 2am, I walked over to the Sheraton.

Maybe I was just lucky to get the claim authorized.
No, if you didn't use their voucher, then it's ok. These claims are pretty standard and since there is a cap to the coverage (depending on card it is up to $1000 per incident, even allowing for multiple incidents on a single itinerary), they just pay it out.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest
No, if you didn't use their voucher, then it's ok. These claims are pretty standard and since there is a cap to the coverage (depending on card it is up to $1000 per incident, even allowing for multiple incidents on a single itinerary), they just pay it out.
I believe they get the airline to pay them back whatever the airline is supposed to cover.

(I have had similar experiences in the past. Just booked a hotel, had dinner, with wine, sent the claim to Amex, got reimbursed, no question asked.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.