Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Suggestion Box

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by 28isGreat
Roll fuel "surcharge" into base fares. To present fuel surcharges as something in the same category as taxes + fees is dishonest. To pretend that you must add a surcharge instead of adjusting the base fare is dishonest (you change the base fare all the time anyway). To advertise fares without the fuel cost, as if it were possible to get an aircraft from A to B without fuel, is dishonest. To charge amounts on different routes that are obviously unrelated to the actual distance flown is dishonest.

Force Aeroplan to get rid of their fuel surcharge. To say that XX,XXX points gets me a free flight when it doesn't is dishonest. Barring that, to have Aeroplan charge a fuel surcharge that is different than AC on the same route, is also dishonest.
This is a pet peeve of mine - they should market Aeroplan flights honestly as co-pays since they're charging a differential surcharge for them.

And it would be easy for them put the fuel surcharge into the base fare - look at the UK version of aircanada.com.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: status-free
Originally Posted by FF_Consultant
7.) What is up with the music selection? Does AC have a blind 80 year old man throwing darts at CDs in HMV to select their music? Let's try and actually get a few artists into the system that people will listen to
I actually kinda like the music selection... slightly hipper than me (which isn't that hard). Most flights I either find an artist I've never heard before that I like, or get reminded of something I haven't listened to for a while. I often listen to their World or Lounge selections, which are styles I don't usually buy but which seem suited to flying somehow.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Please replace the Dasani water bottles in C!

It doesn´t need to be an expensive brand like Fiji Water etc., just some kind of spring water would be highly appreciated.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:49 pm

My revised suggestion list

Last year at this time there was a similar thread. I posted numerous suggestions there. There have been quite a few changes over the past year. I'd like to repeat some of my previous requests from my previous post, and change some others...

Here are my ideas. With the exception of a few, most of these should not have any additional costs to AC, and in many cases I think could boost AC’s revenue.

1) Restrict reward bookings in J to those with status with Air Canada/Star Alliance partners. This would prevent those people who accrue miles by only using CC's from booking tons of J seats. This would probably mean more revenue for AC because the cent/mile cost to AC for providing the reward would be lower for economy than business (one of the justifications for the 30% IKK was the high opportunity cost associated with J rewards). I may be mistaken, but didn't AF introduce such a change a few years ago?

AE would not be put at a disadvantage over Air Miles as AM only offers economy rewards. If AE/AC wanted to offer business redemptions to non-status people, charge at 2x classic level.

I would not be in favour of limiting J redemptions to status miles earned only (as some others have suggested). I qualified for SE on short haul segments, therefore approximately 50K status miles per year. I need to use miles accumulated with hotel/CC/car rental partners to take an int’l J flight.

I'm keeping this item on my suggestion list.

2) Eliminate the 30% premium for SE IKK and the fuel surcharge on all award tickets. If there needs to be a 10% increase in all redemption levels to do this, so be it.

Well, the 30% premium is now gone, but the fuel surcharge is still there. I'd like the fuel surcharge to disappear, even if it means a reasonable increase in required mileage.

3) Give status miles for Tango fares (and preferably increase to 50%). These miles are earned by flying on AC, so should qualify for status, even at the reduced rate.

I'm keeping this item on my suggestion list, especially now since there is lifetime status earned for flying AC metal. See suggestion 23 below for alternate/complimentary suggestion.

4) Add a requirement that 25% of all status miles/segments must be earned by flying on AC metal. Maybe change the qualification levels as well. For example:

SE – 100k or 100 segments (25k or 25 segments must be on AC metal depending on method of qualification)
E – 50k or 60 segments (12.5k or 15 segments must be on AC metal depending on method of qualification)
P – 25k or 30 segments (6.25k or 8 segments must be on AC metal depending on method of qualification).

5) Give threshold bonuses at 20, 40, 60, etc. segments flown (could program system to eliminate a double dip at 20 segments and 20k miles).

6) Where bonus status miles are given for flight passes, or for miles earned on unlimited flight passes, credit 1 segment for every 1k miles awarded.

7) For int’l J IKK redemptions remove the current restrictions, but if restrictions are required, restrict redemptions to immediate family members or a limited number of pre-selected people (who must be identified when select benefits are chosen).

This has happened, although with capacity controls, so not quite what I had hoped for.

8) Introduce IKK for P and E for all classes of service. For example:

SE – 1x classic points for both J and Y
E – 1.5x classic points for both J and Y
P – 2x classic points for both J and Y

I'm keeping this item on my suggestion list. Should be doable, especially if suggestion 1 is implemented.

9) Eliminate the SSWU. Instead require the use of 1 SWU/NAU for Latitude fares (confirm at booking) and the use of 2 SWU/NAU for Tango Plus fares (7/4/2 day window).

I'm removing this item from the list, to be replaced with a new item (see suggestion 22 below).

10) Change “Elite” section of aircraft to Economy Plus seating. Allow only status passengers and those on Lat fares to pre-select these seats. Offer paid upgrades similar to United for others at check-in. Offer reciprocal complimentary E+ seating to UA MP status passengers so that AC status members can access United’s E+ for free.

I'm keeping this item on my suggestion list but realize that modifying aircraft interiors is highly unlikely. As an alternative see suggestion 20 below.

11) Offer free standby on all fares (except maybe Tango, where a small fee would apply). Reduce same day confirmed change fees.

This has already happened on rapidair routes; I'd like to see the rapidair changes implemented system wide.

12) Provide status passengers with discounts on change fees for their own tickets (both in advance or same day). i.e. 50% discount for SE, 25% for E and 10% for P.

13) Make upgrade certificates valid for 1 year from date of issue. Currently, certificates issued late in the year can be useless as they expire in a couple of months.

14) Offer P’s discounted rates for things such as MLL memberships. IIRC, in the past when things like this were offered, prices were exactly the same as what was offered to non-status people. For years this has been advertised as a P benefit, when it was not a P benefit at all. Maybe give a 50% discount.

This has already happened, although the discount is 15%.

15) Lifetime status – can count only flights flown on AC metal or can be based on total miles/segments. Please award for segments too, not just miles.

This has already happened, but I would really like to consider lifetime status based on AC segments too for those SE/E's who qualify on segments (similar to Asiana).

16) Reduced re-qualification levels – maybe 80% of miles/segments required for initial qualification. % of AC metal flown would still be a requirement.

17) Electronic upgrade certificates

I'm keeping this item on my suggestion list, although it looks like this is in the works.

18) SWU/NAU to Miles/Segments – allow unused SWU/NAU to be exchanged for status miles/segments that would count towards the next year’s total. Perhaps 2k miles (2 segments) for each SWU and 1k miles (1 segment) for each NAU.

I'm keeping this item on my suggestion list. Could be altered if other upgrade schemes (such as suggestion 22 below) are implemented.

19) Give status members complimentary seat selection for themselves if they book a Tango fare.

20) Seat blocking for seats adjacent to seats selected by status pax. This can be extended to *A status pax. Once the rest of the aircraft is full seats could be released next to *S, *G, P, E and then SE.

21) Unlimited North America Upgrades - BUT FOR LIFETIME STATUS MEMBERS ONLY. In general, I believe that if you give something away for free for long enough, that people will never expect to pay for it anymore. As such, I would not want to see AC give this away for all AC status pax (especially since AC status can currently be earned without ever setting foot on AC metal). To me the only exception would be lifetime members who have flown a very, very high number of status miles with AC.

22) Implement a system of electronic upgrade credits in lieu of upgrade certificates. SE/E/P would start the year with different numbers of credits, and different fares/distances would require a different number of credits. For example:

- 1 credit - NA upgrade from Latitude fare
- 2 credits - SW upgrade from Latitude fare OR NA upgrade from Tango Plus fare
- 3 credits - SW upgrade from Tango Plus fare.

For the above credit options Tango Plus fares could be upgraded within the 7/4/2/ window. An additional option could be to spend 1 (or maybe 2) additional upgrade credits to be able to confirm an upgrade from Tango Plus at the time of booking (in advance of the 7/4/2 window).

Further to the previously suggested #18, perhaps at the end of the year all unused upgrade credits would automatically be converted into status miles and deposited into the members account.

23) Allow the issuance of "EQM" in addition to "RDM." This really should be a no-cost (other than implementation) option for AC. This would allow AC to provide greater COS for J cabin (and maybe a reduced COS for Latitude fares), as well as possibly give EQM for Tango fares. Since the additional EQM would not be added to one's redeemable Aeroplan mile balance, there would be no-cost to AC as they would not owe Aeroplan any money for the purchase of miles.

24) Have bonus status miles that get selected as part of one's top tier benefits (either lump sum or awarded with flight pass purchase) count towards lifetime status (if they don't already). I haven't seen anywhere that these miles count, so I'd like to see this added.

25) Participation in the *A points for upgrade scheme.

26) Allow status members to redeem miles for additional upgrade certificates/credits.

27) Find some way of partnering with other airlines (such as UA/LH) to use upgrade certificates on other airlines' metal. Of course, such access would be reciprocal. UA/LH already allow upgrades on each other's metal; could AC join this arrangement?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Get rid of the commercials on the entertainment system, they are not entertaining. Oh, oops, I made that suggestion before, but after another long haul being captive to ACs ads again and again and again then maybe they can listen to my suggestion again and again haha
Really now, I do not want to see even one, not what I paid for, but AC, after you get your pound of flesh once, why do you make me suffer more, especially considering I invariably make finger mistakes . I can”t fast forward, can”t avoid, I am captive with no control of anything, I quite dislike it.
What I cannot figure out is why it makes any sense to annoy FF flyers like me EVERY time I take a flight with you, how does that make me a happy customer?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Get rid of the commercials on the entertainment system, they are not entertaining. Oh, oops, I made that suggestion before, but after another long haul being captive to ACs ads again and again and again then maybe they can listen to my suggestion again and again haha
Really now, I do not want to see even one, not what I paid for, but AC, after you get your pound of flesh once, why do you make me suffer more, especially considering I invariably make finger mistakes . I can”t fast forward, can”t avoid, I am captive with no control of anything, I quite dislike it.
What I cannot figure out is why it makes any sense to annoy FF flyers like me EVERY time I take a flight with you, how does that make me a happy customer?
I am sure the commercials subsidize the content on the IFE system. I would rather have to sit through a commercial than be nickel and dimed to pay for the movies and tv shows that are on there.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
I am sure the commercials subsidize the content on the IFE system. I would rather have to sit through a commercial than be nickel and dimed to pay for the movies and tv shows that are on there.
i would rather have IFE that works
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
@YEG User

Thanks for the collection of suggestions! Heartily agree.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
AC suggestions

Agree that more miles awarded for premium tickets is a good idea
Their site: it should allow searches for nearby airports (i.e. NYC area airports)
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

It doesn´t need to be an expensive brand like Fiji Water etc., just some kind of spring water would be highly appreciated.
^^^^^^^
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
YVR-KOA Winter schedule

Change back the once weekly YVR-KOA AC049/050 to an XM'd 767
The route had the XM'd version since they were first on the scene 3 years ago....now for this upcoming Season they seem to have slid in one of the 3 Amigos.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Today's SE Connection Newsletter had down at the very bottom an e-mail link to send the Connection people feedback on the IFE.. just thought I'd point it out since it's easily missed!
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: AE, SPG, HH
I still do not understand the suggested need of an increase for E from 35k to 50k. Why? Other than making it harder to obtain E and possibly more revenue for AC? Yah, maybe make it a requirement that one fly AC metal in order to qualify for status miles but upping it just for the sake of doing so to reduce the abuse by those that don't fly AC does a disservice to those that actually fly AC metal mostly. Besides, without any additional "perk" why bother?

If things were increased to 50k without a requirement to fly AC, there'll likely be more people jumping ship to the lower priced UA and flying with them to save tons of $$$. Sacrifice a lil' bit of comfort - okay who am I kidding, a LOT of comfort - on a trio of long hauls and done. Status!

Last edited by helraiser; Oct 5, 2010 at 7:14 am
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by YEG USER
25) Participation in the *A points for upgrade scheme.
Please don't! Or the credit card brigade would take over the J cabins!

Originally Posted by YEG USER
27) Find some way of partnering with other airlines (such as UA/LH) to use upgrade certificates on other airlines' metal. Of course, such access would be reciprocal. UA/LH already allow upgrades on each other's metal; could AC join this arrangement?
This is even worse! Especially reciprocating with UA!!!

AC is great in that it is quite stringent in the upgrading policy: Only for its own top tier members. I for one don't want to see our upgrade benefits diluted by others. Imagine a nobody trumping an SE with SSWU for an upgraded seat in J with UA points.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Evian would be nice.

And have more 500mL bottles instead of the 1.5L bottles in international J.

Don't take away the bottle lids and leave the bottles uncovered at the MLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.