Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Suggestion Box

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: status-free
all-in prices, website options

If you're not willing to quote all-in fares up-front for competitive reasons, at least make them easy to find earlier in the booking process. United.ca can manage to do this (the "price breakdown" link on each price), even though their site is ugly.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:19 pm

SSWU and SWU

How about making two SWU certs equivalent to one SSWU cert? It would certainly be nice to have that extra flexibility!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Certs should be valid for at least 6 months. When I cross the threshold in, say, November. I only get a cert valid till end of Feb in December. This is ridiculous.

At the beginning of the year, I always find that I don't have enough certs but at the end of the year, I always have excess that I can't burn.

This is why when I pick my SE Package, I always pick 6SWUs instead of 2SWUs and 2SSWUs. I need to have more certs at the beginning of the year. This is a bit unfair that I cannot get SSWUs to start the year.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Certs should be valid for at least 6 months. When I cross the threshold in, say, November. I only get a cert valid till end of Feb in December. This is ridiculous.

At the beginning of the year, I always find that I don't have enough certs but at the end of the year, I always have excess that I can't burn.

This is why when I pick my SE Package, I always pick 6SWUs instead of 2SWUs and 2SSWUs. I need to have more certs at the beginning of the year. This is a bit unfair that I cannot get SSWUs to start the year.
I do the same. Eventually I get SSWUs, but I end up never using most of them.

This said, asking for all certs to be longer lived may well be an unrealistic request. But they could at least go back to what they used to do and issue certs of the new kind starting in Dec. rather than January.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Automatic Upgrades! on domestic flights

WOW this is an amazing perk!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by why fly
Automatic Upgrades! on domestic flights

WOW this is an amazing perk!
I know you love this.
Count me as one who does not.

My philosophy is if you want J, ( or F), PAY FOR IT!
One of the perks of flying in the premium cabins is having the luxury
of neighboring seats being unfilled.

My ultimate nightmare flight was many years ago, on UA from FRA-ORD.
I was the only pax booked into F.
Then, at the gate, due to overbooking, every seat was filled up with
VBITS.

I will not go into all the details, but that is when UA lost my Trans-Atlantic
business.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I know you love this.
Count me as one who does not.

My philosophy is if you want J, ( or F), PAY FOR IT!
One of the perks of flying in the premium cabins is having the luxury
of neighboring seats being unfilled.

My ultimate nightmare flight was many years ago, on UA from FRA-ORD.
I was the only pax booked into F.
Then, at the gate, due to overbooking, every seat was filled up with
VBITS.

I will not go into all the details, but that is when UA lost my Trans-Atlantic
business.
this is not the thread to discuss the merits however, Automatic Upgrades would not change FRA-ORD??? its A DOMESTIC upgrade program. So you would AC put employees in J seats for empty domestic flights?
Oh and trust me I have been on my flights where AC has moved VBITS to J seats.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: AC~SE, Marriot-Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive, Hertz PC
Red Thai curry soup in YEG MLL
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:49 pm

1. Improve the at-gate experience so that half the plane does not stand up and crowd around the gate during pre-boarding. Pre-boarding people actually have a more difficult time than late boarding people because you have to push through the mass. I wouldn't want to do this if I were handicapped or with small children, and it is annoying to do so as a business class passenger or an elite member. So that means:

2. Clearer statements about who is boarding along with "passengers not currently boarding, please remain in your seats until your row number is called."

3. If someone tries to board who is not currently called for boarding, *turn them back*. I've seen guys with middle rows, and no elite status on their boarding passes waltzing through during pre-boarding. I think the default behavior is actually nice, in letting people through it is perceived as not being dickish... however, passengers are jerks, and the more people tune in to gate agents being nice and not turning them back, the more they will crowd around the gate and the more will try to board out of order.

4. Enforce the priority and economy lanes during boarding. The last time I arrived with a J ticket and Y was boarding, Y was all lined up through the priority lane, and that meant to get priority I would have to cut through the mass of people and try to board through the economy lane, and it wasn't worth it to me. With the J you should be able to go through the priority lane while Y is going through economy, but if the gate agents don't control the herd, then you get chaos at the gate. Any Y passenger without status in the priority line has to be sent back to the end. In the case of the entire line going through the wrong lane, it's very easy to move the first three people and the rest will file over.

Southwest has this stuff down to a science, as a result, they get orderly boarding and people comply with the rules.

If Air Canada acts nice and cedes power to the herd, then herd (i.e. mob) rules apply. They have got to get some control over the herd, sit their butts down if they are not called, deny them if they are trying to board early, and get them lined up in the right boarding line.

Air Canada keeps the customers under control here, the message will be received, if a passenger is denied when trying to squeeze through the system, they will think twice about trying the same trick the next time, and ideally will keep their butt in their seat until the row number is called.

This will improve boarding times for everyone, as well as preserving the priority status that J passengers are paying for and elite members have earned.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ffbubba
AC should resume flights from YYZ to GLA - this non-stop route was a good service. Only current alternative is Air Transat or via LHR or AMS.

They used to fly this route daily and the loads were high.

Bubba
I would love to see a flight to GLA and not have to always route through LHR.
Better still a flight to Prestwick airport would be the icing on the cake.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I'd like to see some UK destinations other than LHR, as I don't always need or want to go through London. Maybe MAN?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:19 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Stranger
But they could at least go back to what they used to do and issue certs of the new kind starting in Dec. rather than January.
As of last year this was still the way it worked (new certs from December onward). At least that's what happened to be and I was flying the first week or two of December.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:32 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Just catching up on posts as I've been on vacation. Some great suggestions, please keep them coming. As you all know, not all suggestions are always feasible but we'll definitely have a look at all of them.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks Andrew.

Mods: As AC has indicated that this thread has value as a suggestion box, may I suggest that this ongoing discussion be made a sticky.

Last edited by airbus320; Sep 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:20 pm

Allow us to view the codeshare partner's ACTUAL booking class before we commit to a booking?!

I think several of us having been actively feedbacking that we feel misled when buying a Tango Plus fare through AC.com with a Star Alliance codeshare partner, just to learn later that the codeshare partner's booking class give us anywhere from 0 - 70% of mileage only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.