Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 11:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
If itinerary is booked in F, and some legs are booked in J, do change fees apply if upgrading from J->F (no change in flight date/time).?
No change fee in that case. If an agent tells you there is one, then call back. If you've already paid the higher mileage, then no need to pay a change fee (however, if your ticket is in completely J and you're switching to F requiring a mileage payment, then, you will be charged a change fee).
Old May 15, 2017, 12:26 am

I have a some questions/concerns, wondering if someone has some ideas?

I'm still trying to put together a mini RTW which is currently looking like so:

YVR-EWR/LAX/? J AC
EWR/LAX/?-VIE J OS
VIE-CDG J OS (STOP)
CDG-BRU-LHR J SN
LHR-IST-MLE J TK (DEST)
MLE-SIN-BKK J SQ
BKK-KIX F TG (STOP)
KIX-ICN-NRT J OZ
NRT-SFO F NH
SFO-YVR J AC

First of all, does the above look valid?

Second, I'm going to hope for LH F on the outbound at T-15, where should I go in my initial booking? Should I try to get somewhere on the East coast (worried space on this route may be limited at T-15?) Or should I just pick whatever gateway city works best for me on OS?
As much as I'd like to save on change fees, I don't think I can pick a LH city pair correctly. OS J seems like a better experience compared to LH J.

Third, since I need the stop-overs, I need to book this a RT. There are quite some delays between some of my longer flights:

EWR/LAX - VIE +35 days
IST-MLE +28 days
BKK-KIX +0 days
NRT-SFO +14 days

As shown above, if I were to wait till all legs are "available", I'd be up to 35 days late in terms of booking.
Is there anything creative I can do to ensure I don't let award space slip through my fingers?

Thanks
Old May 15, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My other opinion is that if you're booking a flight on points, and you can get F that works for you don't fret too much about which airline it's on.
Good to see that there is still some discussion on F as I would like to do this again. The LH and LX restriction certainly limit the TATL options in a very bad way. But I am wondering if there is any F service to Australia or New Zealand, e.g. TG, NH, or OZ would come to mind?
Old May 15, 2017, 4:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning for a mini-RTW redemption in J class from YYZ to Australia with a mandatory stop in HKG on the way there, and was wondering if you guys know of any good hubs to stop on the way there and back that will be relatively easy to find J legs.

It seems impossible to get a J class direct YYZ to HKG, and it looks like the best options are Taipei with EVA air or Seoul with Asiana. There seems to be a handful of Tokyo with AC but limited.

On the way down to Australia, it appears Singapore might be my best bet with Singapore Airlines.

I'm planning to travel in February 2018.

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Merlin666
Good to see that there is still some discussion on F as I would like to do this again. The LH and LX restriction certainly limit the TATL options in a very bad way. But I am wondering if there is any F service to Australia or New Zealand, e.g. TG, NH, or OZ would come to mind?
I think the only option you have is TG.

NH and OZ don't offer F on the SYD routes I don't think. Neither fly to New Zealand.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:41 pm

Feeling frustrated

Thought it should be valid for YYZ-HND-HKG-LHR-YYZ and called Aeroplan today to have it booked, but too bad, was told it exceeds MPM !!!

Last edited by steveche; May 17, 2017 at 3:44 pm Reason: typo
Old May 17, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by steveche
Thought it should be valid for YYZ-HND-HKG-LHR-YYZ and called Aeroplan today to have it booked, but too bad, was told it exceeds MPM !!!
Did you have a stop in HKG, or just a layover?

[edit] just checked MPM, if HKG is not a stop then it won't work, but if you spend >24 hours there it should book fine. Although I don't think you posted the whole routing, since Star Alliance doesn't fly HKG-LHR.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by jonlai9
Hi all,

I'm planning for a mini-RTW redemption in J class from YYZ to Australia with a mandatory stop in HKG on the way there, and was wondering if you guys know of any good hubs to stop on the way there and back that will be relatively easy to find J legs.

It seems impossible to get a J class direct YYZ to HKG, and it looks like the best options are Taipei with EVA air or Seoul with Asiana. There seems to be a handful of Tokyo with AC but limited.

On the way down to Australia, it appears Singapore might be my best bet with Singapore Airlines.

I'm planning to travel in February 2018.

Thanks!
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old May 17, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jonlai9

You could do YYZ-TPE-HKG-SIN-SYD on the way there.

On the way back, maybe something like SYD-BKK-ICN-ORD-YYZ?
Old May 18, 2017, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Did you have a stop in HKG, or just a layover?

[edit] just checked MPM, if HKG is not a stop then it won't work, but if you spend >24 hours there it should book fine. Although I don't think you posted the whole routing, since Star Alliance doesn't fly HKG-LHR.
Actually that's my entire route, 8 days in Japan, 20 days in Hong Kong and 8 days in London then back to Toronto.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:22 am

Actually that's my entire route, 8 days in Japan, 20 days in Hong Kong and 8 days in London then back to Toronto.
Odd. That should be allowed. But that can't be your entire route. What is the exact routing you were trying to get? YYZ-HND is legal, HND-HKG is legal, but HKG-LHR is highly unlikely unless it's a fifth freedom flight, but I don't think there's such a flight between the two, so who are you flying?
Old May 18, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Odd. That should be allowed. But that can't be your entire route. What is the exact routing you were trying to get? YYZ-HND is legal, HND-HKG is legal, but HKG-LHR is highly unlikely unless it's a fifth freedom flight, but I don't think there's such a flight between the two, so who are you flying?
Guess HKG-LHR on *A is available...
but the Aeroplan Rep just denied my booking saying over MPM

Lufthansa LH731

Departs : Fri. Mar 3023:15Hong Kong (HKG)

Arrives : Sat. Mar 3105:25Munich (MUC)

Flight Duration : 12h 10 min
ECONOMY
Class XAirbus A340-600Complimentary meal

Change plane in MunichTime to connect : 1h 50 min

Lufthansa LH2470

Departs : Sat. Mar 3107:15Munich (MUC)

Arrives : Sat. Mar 3108:15London Heathrow (LHR)

Flight Duration : 2h 00 min
ECONOMY
Class X32AMeal Not available

Total travel time : 16h 00min
Old May 18, 2017, 11:01 am

Guess HKG-LHR on *A is available...
but the Aeroplan Rep just denied my booking saying over MPM

Lufthansa LH731

Departs : Fri. Mar 3023:15Hong Kong (HKG)

Arrives : Sat. Mar 3105:25Munich (MUC)

Flight Duration : 12h 10 min
ECONOMY
Class XAirbus A340-600Complimentary meal

Change plane in MunichTime to connect : 1h 50 min

Lufthansa LH2470

Departs : Sat. Mar 3107:15Munich (MUC)

Arrives : Sat. Mar 3108:15London Heathrow (LHR)

Flight Duration : 2h 00 min
ECONOMY
Class X32AMeal Not available

Total travel time : 16h 00min
So your route is actually YYZ-HND-HKG-MUC-LHR-YYZ.

That should still be within MPM. Are there any other layovers that you're not mentioning?
Old May 18, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
You should provide the full flight routing instead of just places you are stopping at. Otherwise this is like trying to squeeze toothpaste, getting a little tiny bit of additional information at a time...
Old May 18, 2017, 11:52 am

Try again. It should definitely be allowable within MPM.

Try building a similar itinerary on the Aeroplan search engine using multi-city (with only one stopover). So search for YYZ-HKG, HKG-LHR, LHR-YYZ. If a routing prices out successfully on the search engine it should price out over the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.