Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 11:42 am
Suspended

I've been able to do YUL-YYZ (500 miles) as a connection when my route was headed eastward, and IST-MUC which is I think about 1,200 miles when still headed eastward.

I think if you try to backtrack to stop you're going to have issues with the route not being valid.

Another example is that I got a route from I think Frankfurt to Abu Dhabi to Singapore on a 120k ticket. I'm not sure if this was an aeroplan website error because sometimes it will quote invalid routes and then refuse to book them, but this was not for stopping, just connecting. I didn't try to book it.

This routing:

YYZ-FRA-IKA STOP DXB-SIN STOP SIN-NRT-YYZ

I think has a few problems.

Singapore is your turnaround point, that means you would need IKA to be a waypoint on an established routing between YYZ and SIN, and that I think is doubtful that such a route exists on *A.

IKA/DXB will not work for a stop on this route because it will become a Middle East award at a higher redemption. Also I think that breaking the route here is not an open jaw, that has to be the destination and origin not connecting. They are not close enough to count as the same location as well. So the route will not be valid because of these reasons.

What will work here I think is if you do:

YYZ-IST (stop) (TK J is direct, or you could take LX F route through Montreal and Zurich)
IST-SIN (turn)
SIN-NRT-YYZ (terminate)

From IST you can do a side trip to IKA and DXB easily enough and book with the cheapest provider as they are not so far, especially from each other.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by payam81
Would this routing work for the Asia 1 mileage zone?

YYZ-FRA-IKA STOP DXB-SIN STOP SIN-NRT-YYZ

Thanks guys.
This would not be in the Asia 1 zone -- you have a stop/open jaw IKA/DBX which is in Middle East & North Africa zone -- you will be charged the highest zone rate in your itinerary. For Asia 1 - RTW to work you basically have to stay in Asia 1 or Europe. ie --- YYZ-FRA (stop) SIN (stop) NRT (stop) YYZ.

Check out the link below for a list of valid RTW itineraries.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post16443167

Last edited by concol; May 30, 2011 at 11:58 am
Old May 30, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
DXB only has an MPM via atlantic.

Code:
        GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      AT    8532    8958    9385    9811   10238   10665
Therefore, you cannot fly DXB-SIN-NRT-YYZ even on a Middle East award.

I would recommend as previously suggested:

YYZ-IST stop
IST-SIN stop
SIN-HKG/NRT/ICN/PEK-YYZ

I am sure many other Asian connection cities exist. NRT seems to offer the quickest connection followed by HK.

And then IST-IKA//DXB-IST. Turkish often has attractive fares, does twice daily to both IKA and DXB (IIRC) and IST-IKA is only 3:00
Old May 30, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yea, I thought it's a long shot but thought I ask.

Problem is I HAVE to make a couple of stops both at IKA and SIN so I think I'll see if I can combine an award routing per suggestion above with a cheapo side revenue either IST-IKA or DXB-IKA.

Many thanks again.

Relevant question: Does DXB require transit visa? I hold both American and Canadian passports so if push comes to shove I can use the USA passport to avoid the visa fees imposed on CDN pax.
Old May 30, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by payam81
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yea, I thought it's a long shot but thought I ask.

Problem is I HAVE to make a couple of stops both at IKA and SIN so I think I'll see if I can combine an award routing per suggestion above with a cheapo side revenue either IST-IKA or DXB-IKA.

Many thanks again.

Relevant question: Does DXB require transit visa? I hold both American and Canadian passports so if push comes to shove I can use the USA passport to avoid the visa fees imposed on CDN pax.
No transit visa required if connecting, even if Canadian as long as you remain airside.
Old May 30, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
No transit visa required if connecting, even if Canadian as long as you remain airside.
Thanks sadiq, that's good to know.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:35 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Valid Routing & Flight the night before?

Hello

Looking to book my first Mini RTW over the next few days for May 2012 before July... Wanting to take in the FRA FCT and the Orchid Spa in BKK. Thanks for everyone's contributions so far. I've tried to read everyone's advice...

1. Does this appear valid?

YVR-LAX AC J or UA F/J (this appears to be the hardest segment to find availability)
LAX-ICN OS F
ICN-NRT (or PVG, or PEK) OS J/C (STOP)
NRT (or PVG, or PEK) - BKK TG J (POINT OF TURNAROUND)
BKK-MAD TG F (STOP)
MAD-FRA LH J
FRA-YVR LH F

2. The FRA - YVR flight departs at 1330hrs. Would I be able to take an evening flight the night before on MAD-FRA (less than 24 hrs connection in FRA) so that I would have more than the same day 2 hours to connect as to fully experience the FRA FCT? Basically not rushing!!

Don't understand whether this will also be within MPM but no crazy out of the ordinary side tracks here. . .

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73

Thanks in advance!!!
1. I see nothing wrong with it - you may have to settle for Y to LAX - and wait for UA to open up F space - they will eventually.
They may say ICN-NRT-BKK is backtracking, but PVG/PEK absolutely no problems
I assume you meant OZ - OS is Austrian

2. Not an issue
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by rankourabu
1. I see nothing wrong with it - you may have to settle for Y to LAX - and wait for UA to open up F space - they will eventually.
They may say ICN-NRT-BKK is backtracking, but PVG/PEK absolutely no problems
I assume you meant OZ - OS is Austrian

2. Not an issue
The weird thing is for TPAC, NRT-ICN-(JFK/LAX/etc) is NOT considered backtracking, so you should be ok.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
2. The FRA - YVR flight departs at 1330hrs. Would I be able to take an evening flight the night before on MAD-FRA (less than 24 hrs connection in FRA) so that I would have more than the same day 2 hours to connect as to fully experience the FRA FCT? Basically not rushing!!
I was in the same situation as you. Flight left to EWR left at 1320, and arriving flight from MAD came in at 930.

I was bored to tears by the time my personal assistant came to get me. 2 hours is plenty of time at the FCT. You can eat, have a shower, sit in the massage chair and slug back some fancy whiskey. Other than that, there isn't much to do there but wait.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by DaveTO
I was in the same situation as you. Flight left to EWR left at 1320, and arriving flight from MAD came in at 930.

I was bored to tears by the time my personal assistant came to get me. 2 hours is plenty of time at the FCT. You can eat, have a shower, sit in the massage chair and slug back some fancy whiskey. Other than that, there isn't much to do there but wait.
Hey, the food is hardly anything to complain about, and if you're lucky, the gate in front will have a 380 parked there. The alcohol selection is rather good, too - make sure to get a Lion Kolsch while you're there (and the sake / shochuu selection is pretty interesting, too)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
moved to a more relevant thread

Last edited by beepyou; Jun 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
SYD

any experience with this being allowed
(we are coming up empty for Xmas travel)

YYZ-IAD-CDG-FRA/IST-PEK-SYD

or

YYZ-IAD-CDG-IST-BKK-SYD

or

YYZ-SFO-PEK-SYD

return

MEL-BKK-ICN-LAX-YYZ

or

MEL-BKK-CDG-YYZ
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
YYZ-IAD-CDG-IST-BKK-SYD
This will work..but not via PEK

For return, you can't open-jaw from MEL, I tried earlier this year, its over MPM. Just buy a ticket from syd-mel, its fairly cheap.

If you want to go home via Pacific & Asia..only option is SYD-ICN....
Going home the long away SYD-BKK/SIN-Europe-Home will work also, again not MEL
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by bichoo
This will work..but not via PEK

For return, you can't open-jaw from MEL, I tried earlier this year, its over MPM. Just buy a ticket from syd-mel, its fairly cheap.

If you want to go home via Pacific & Asia..only option is SYD-ICN....
Going home the long away SYD-BKK/SIN-Europe-Home will work also, again not MEL
Why not MEL?

Why can't we have an SYD/MEL openjaw? (unless there are 2 stops already)

This is valid as far as I'm concerned and I have two such trips planned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.